Cubs' Theriot told to work on 2nd base

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
this is definitely not because the cubs are lookin a SS's for this year. this is for the future. Starlin Castro is going to be a freak. sounds like he'll be in the majors by mid-summer.

Signed,

Felix Pie and Corey Patterson. The next "can't miss" prospect for the Cubs that doesn't flame out will be the first since Greg Maddux.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
He can't hit well enough to be an everyday player for the Cubbies...

Doesn't matter, he's more suited play short than Theriot is, and would therefore give the Cubs an immediate defensive upgrade at the position. At the same time, 2nd base was a black hole in the lineup last year, and moving Theriot there would be a big upgrade offensively from the Miles/Fontenot/Baker/Blanco cluster**** that Lou had to pick from every day last season.

Clonegrad07

Jul 22, 2008
North Carolina
Doesn't matter, he's more suited play short than Theriot is, and would therefore give the Cubs an immediate defensive upgrade at the position. At the same time, 2nd base was a black hole in the lineup last year, and moving Theriot there would be a big upgrade offensively from the Miles/Fontenot/Baker/Blanco cluster**** that Lou had to pick from every day last season.

So you upgrade the 2nd base hitting to downgrade the shortstop hitting... We gain nothing in the batting line up from this move...

Also, Theriot doesn't have a real strong arm, but has plenty of range to play short. I'd leave Theriot at Short if this is your solution because I like to have a lot of stability at the most important infield position and shuffle the 2nd base position with fontenot and blanco...

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
So you upgrade the 2nd base hitting to downgrade the shortstop hitting... We gain nothing in the batting line up from this move...

Also, Theriot doesn't have a real strong arm, but has plenty of range to play short. I'd leave Theriot at Short if this is your solution because I like to have a lot of stability at the most important infield position and shuffle the 2nd base position with fontenot and blanco...

Sure you do, you make the infield better defensively. You don't really lose anything either. Sorry, but a SS/2nd combo of Theriot and Miles doesn't sound too exciting, and neither does a combination of Theriot and Fontenot. Fontenot seemed lost at the plate and in the field once he was given the full time starters job last year. If they're going to leave Theriot at short, give 2nd base to Baker (if he's still around), he was actually one of the better hitters on the team when Lou put him in the lineup.

Clonegrad07

Jul 22, 2008
North Carolina
Sure you do, you make the infield better defensively. You don't really lose anything either. Sorry, but a SS/2nd combo of Theriot and Miles doesn't sound too exciting, and neither does a combination of Theriot and Fontenot. Fontenot seemed lost at the plate and in the field once he was given the full time starters job last year. If they're going to leave Theriot at short, give 2nd base to Baker (if he's still around), he was actually one of the better hitters on the team when Lou put him in the lineup.

I don't want EITHER of the two Rockies' cast offs playing 2nd base everyday for the Cubs... Baker and Miles both suck... I would much rather have Blanco or Fontenot in there... I'm just saying that Blanco can't hit a lick and everyday players are expected to hit... period. No matter what position you play... (unless your name is Paul Bako) If Blanco gets a little better with his bat this year... I'm all for it... I'd just rather have the guy who will be in the lineup every day (Theriot) at the more important position...

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
I don't want EITHER of the two Rockies' cast offs playing 2nd base everyday for the Cubs... Baker and Miles both suck... I would much rather have Blanco or Fontenot in there... I'm just saying that Blanco can't hit a lick and everyday players are expected to hit... period. No matter what position you play... (unless your name is Paul Bako) If Blanco gets a little better with his bat this year... I'm all for it... I'd just rather have the guy who will be in the lineup every day (Theriot) at the more important position...

If you look at Bakers stat during his time with the team, he was pretty decent. Miles is gone, so that doesn't matter. Blanco can't hit, but that can be taught, and that's what spring training is for.

Clonegrad07

Jul 22, 2008
North Carolina
If you look at Bakers stat during his time with the team, he was pretty decent. Miles is gone, so that doesn't matter. Blanco can't hit, but that can be taught, and that's what spring training is for.

Because Baker put together a decent 30 games last year doesn't mean he doesn't suck.... lots of good triple A players like Jeff Baker can put a decent 30-50 games together at some point in their career. He also didn't set the world on fire...

I hope Blanco played some AFL ball or somewhere in the Dominican and improved with the bat... I'd love to see him there more often, but only if he can learn to swing the bat like a big leaguer...

sy4700

Jun 24, 2008
The Cubs haven't had a top 10 prospect since Prior in 2002 or so. Starlin Castro is not major league ready and will be an offensive liability for a few years if they choose to bring him up. Don't see it happening until mid 2011 at the earliest. Theriot would be a decent 2B option if Castro or Hak Lee can handle SS in a few years. A platoon of Baker and Fontenot would be the least of the Cubs problems

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
Yeah... lets not go down this memory lane... it'll get me upset....:no:

Hee Seop Choi turned into Derrek Lee, and Bobby Hill was part of the trade that brought Aramis Ramirez and Kenny Lofton to the Cubs in 2003. Strangely enough, the Cubs haven't had a legit leadoff hitter since then.

hurdleisu24

Bookie
Sep 13, 2008
New York
Hee Seop Choi turned into Derrek Lee, and Bobby Hill was part of the trade that brought Aramis Ramirez and Kenny Lofton to the Cubs in 2003. Strangely enough, the Cubs haven't had a legit leadoff hitter since then.
When was the last time the cubs traded for a prospect and he panned out?

Help Support Us

Become a patron