Cubs fans, unite!

Seth

Mar 17, 2006
Columbia, SC
It's the fanbase - people that call themselves Cubs fans because it's the "cool" thing to do.

I do have a natural reason to hate them - but I hate their fans much more than I hate members of their team. I like Lou Pinella. Dempster is one of my favorite non Sox. It's the fans...

I must spread some reputation around before I can give it to you again. However, you nailed it.

I was at a Cards/Brewers game in StL earlier this season, and there was some d-bag in front of me who had on his Soriano jersey over a wifebeater, a cubs hat turned sideways, a braided belt (not kidding), a giant gold chain, and pants sagging at least halfway down his thighs. He was one of the most obnoxious fans I've ever encountered, and here he was at Busch stadium decked out in Cubs gear when they weren't even ******* playing! In fact, it was two division rivals, and here he was in Cubs gear, going on and on about how this is the year, etc. I wanted to slap him and inform him that they can't both lose, so what the hell is he hoping for??? I've been to Royals games, Astros games, etc., but I never wear my cards gear to their stadiums. The only time it's appropriate is when your team is playing. That's it. Otherwise, you're just a d-bag.

I will say this though, I do love a good Cubs/Cards game in St. Louis. I've probably been to 5 of them, and the majority of the cub fans really aren't that bad. But, that said, there sure are some bad apples that ruin it for the rest of you guys.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
I have to agree with this. It became trendy to root for the team that hadn't won it. When I was a kid, the popularity of the Cubs wasn't as large as it is now, and that was a team that hadn't won in 80 years lol.

IMO here's what happened: Sammy Sosa, Kerry Wood, and Mark Prior. The HR race, combined with the Cubs getting good increased popularity since they were on a channel widely available. Then over the past few years, they've gone Yankee-style trying to straight up buy talent to try to capitalize.

The Cubs "fans" I've come across generally know little about their team history. Many of them have told me they are only Cubs fans when they're in it, otherwise they don't watch baseball. Obviously those aren't the fans on this site, as if you're a member of this site, you're probably a big sports fan.

I've been to Wrigley. It was a good time, but the ticket prices are crazy. The Cubs have priced out real fans and substituted them with executives, tourists, and frat boys. If I lived in Chicago, I'd be more Cubs than ChiSox, but I'd only be able to afford to go to 1 or 2 games a year max.
+1
I think a Cubs Fan Club Membership Card comes with your purchase of a North Face jacket and SIGG water bottle.

mplscyclone

Jul 8, 2008
Ames, IA
I really don't think many Cubs fans feel sorry for themselves(I don't).

Apparently you didn't read the OP:

Is it just me, or are other Cubs fans fed up with the unjustified Cub bashing that seems to run rampant among almost anyone who doesn’t cheer for the Cubs- rival or not? It's something you hear almost every day, but the fill-in for Matt and Miller (some dull Hawk fan) set me off today. He somehow managed to turn a discussion about Buehrle’s perfect game into a discussion about how the Cubs don’t have anyone on the staff capable of matching this feat. Never mind the fact that Carlos Zambrano pitched a no-hitter (with just 1 BB) less than a year ago. It was simply a desperate, pathetic, uninformed attempt to find a way to pick on the Cubs.

And it’s not just the team that people like to pick on. They also enjoy ripping on Cubs fans, as if our fandom is somehow contrived or less credible because we follow a team with a large nationwide following and excellent television coverage. Sometimes we’re ridiculed simply for cheering for a team with such a tragic history (something that boggles this Cyclone fan’s mind). I don’t get it. What drives people to rail on the Cubs so vehemently?

Is it the team’s large following? Is it our undying loyalty through thick and thin? Is it the full ballpark even when the team isn’t performing very well? Is it the fans’ love affair with Wrigley Field, the atmosphere, and the city? Is it the fun times in the bleachers? Is it the pretty girls and the frat boys who make gameday a social outing (as if this is a Wrigley Field phenomenon)? Is it the loyal fans outside of Chicago who fill empty seats and make noise in visitor’s parks? Is it the brotherhood that exists between fans?

WHAT IS IT? To me that sounds like the recipe for a fan following that any athletic organization would kill for. It’s as if people look down on Cubs fans as an inferior form of fan who doesn’t desire winning. I think a commonly held misconception is that we are somehow united through our agony. In my opinion, what unites us is our undying hope that the Cubs will win it all again someday, and when that day comes it will be one of the happiest days we've ever experienced. The parallels to Cyclone fandom are too obvious to ignore.

So in response to the bashing that we take from our fellow baseball fans on a daily basis, I want to hear from my Cub brethren. Let's unite and share our stories about how we all became loyal Cubs fans. GO CUBS!

acrozier22

Mar 17, 2006
Southeast Iowa
Maybe you didn't check out your fanbase last year around September 1st. Give me a break...

Are these your cubbie fan friends you continue to reference? Many of the cubs fans I know celebrated winning the central division championship but knew better to even mention the world series until we actually got there.

You have a very wide paintbrush.

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
+1
I think a Cubs Fans Club Membership Card comes with your purchase of a North Face jacket and SIGG water bottle.

Darn it, I never got my laminated membership card.

I like my water bottle though.

acrozier22

Mar 17, 2006
Southeast Iowa
I must spread some reputation around before I can give it to you again. However, you nailed it.

I was at a Cards/Brewers game in StL earlier this season, and there was some d-bag in front of me who had on his Soriano jersey over a wifebeater, a cubs hat turned sideways, a braided belt (not kidding), a giant gold chain, and pants sagging at least halfway down his thighs. He was one of the most obnoxious fans I've ever encountered, and here he was at Busch stadium decked out in Cubs gear when they weren't even ******* playing! In fact, it was two division rivals, and here he was in Cubs gear, going on and on about how this is the year, etc. I wanted to slap him and inform him that they can't both lose, so what the hell is he hoping for??? I've been to Royals games, Astros games, etc., but I never wear my cards gear to their stadiums. The only time it's appropriate is when your team is playing. That's it. Otherwise, you're just a d-bag.

I will say this though, I do love a good Cubs/Cards game in St. Louis. I've probably been to 5 of them, and the majority of the cub fans really aren't that bad. But, that said, there sure are some bad apples that ruin it for the rest of you guys.

Well, you made me pull this photo out with your little story.

2106782847_36bcc72290.jpg

michaelrr1

Mar 30, 2006
WDM
Visit site
1. Get over it. I don't care who you like. The cubs are a popular team in the midwest and I'm sorry there are not more twinkie fans.

2. I haven't celebrated **** and neither have many of the people on this board. Once again, stereotyping cub fans.

3. Could give two ***** what you think of cubs fans and I have told you that before. I find it funny that you continue to post **** about the cubs in these threads yet you complain it's being stuffed down your throat. Looks like to me you are opening your mouth and swallowing.

I only have to go back to last year to know this statement is false.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
Seriously read my previous post and than end this thread. That is why Cub fans get such a hard time from other fans. So many people became Cub fans after that year and it became the "cool" team to cheer for

After what year? 2003? How many of those people do you think stayed on board after the team tanked in the last week of 2004? How about the 79-83 team in 2005, or the 96 loss team in 2006?

A Braves fan accusing Cubs fans of being bandwagon jumpers is the height of hypocrisy.

Seth

Mar 17, 2006
Columbia, SC
Well, you made me pull this photo out with your little story.

2106782847_36bcc72290.jpg

Nice to see you add something to the discussion. Now, how about we actually try to stay on topic this time? Right now, you're pretty much proving CrossCyed's point that it's the fans that cause all the hate for the Cubs.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Nice to see you add something to the discussion. Now, how about we actually try to stay on topic this time? Right now, you're pretty much proving CrossCyed's point that it's the fans that cause all the hate for the Cubs.

Huhh? I think you should go back and review what you've been writing...