Cryptocurrency

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
okp66FD.gif

Change the code....uh oh now there's 2 billion BTC.
we're just supposed to believe whoever created this that can't happen?
You more or less can't make changes to BTC now. Hard to make changes on a software that isn't centrally-distributed. BTC runs entirely on a P2P system... Plus the guy that designed it originally and actually coded it has disappeared.

Plus, the way it's set up now, we won't reach that cap until the year 2140. We've got time.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Is it just me, or does it seem like half the posts here talk about the benefit of avoiding transaction fees by using crypto, while the other half admit it sucks as a currency because transaction fees have gotten out of hand? Which is it? You can't have it both ways here.

• Agree
Reactions: SoapyCy

Playboi Carti

May 7, 2017
Is it just me, or does it seem like half the posts here talk about the benefit of avoiding transaction fees by using crypto, while the other half admit it sucks as a currency because transaction fees have gotten out of hand? Which is it? You can't have it both ways here.
There is a difference between bank transaction fees and the bitcoin network fee ( it would cost me $19 to move $77 worth of bitcoin), other coins doesn't have nearly as high transaction fee.

• Disagree
Reactions: Macloney

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
One of the questions I have is on the fractional nature of it. For dollars, you don't transact in anything less than a cent. For gold or oil, you have physical amounts below which you can't transact. But crypto can always add another decimal point. So while BTC might be capped at 20M total tokens, if you can buy any fraction of a coin you want (0.00001, or 0.0000001, or 0.00000000001, or... ad infinitum). When you can divide something forever into smaller and small increments, how is that different than not having a cap?

Reactions: FOREVERTRUE

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Sure it can, Bitcoin started with very low fees. Now they have gotten out of hand.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
One of the questions I have is on the fractional nature of it. For dollars, you don't transact in anything less than a cent. For gold or oil, you have physical amounts below which you can't transact. But crypto can always add another decimal point. So while BTC might be capped at 20M total tokens, if you can buy any fraction of a coin you want (0.00001, or 0.0000001, or 0.00000000001, or... ad infinitum). When you can divide something forever into smaller and small increments, how is that different than not having a cap?

Set at one Sitoshi which I think has 8 zeros. There is a limit.

Plus, you could theoretically subdivide 100 oz of gold down to the atomic level. Still 100 oz total. There is just a limit to the practicality. Very easy to get very small fraction of a Bitcoin. Pretty difficult with gold.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
How about the spinoff Bitcoin Cash. How are the fees with that spin off. I know that was a main reason for the spin off.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Set at one Sitoshi which I think has 8 zeros. There is a limit.

Plus, you could theoretically subdivide 100 oz of gold down to the atomic level. Still 100 oz total. There is just a limit to the practicality. Very easy to get very small fraction of a Bitcoin. Pretty difficult with gold.

Right, you could divide gold down to the atomic level - and no further. If you split an atom of gold it ceases to be gold. Not to mention the difficulties in actually holding or measuring very small amounts. This all places practical limits on how small a portion of gold you can use as a store of value.

But 1 Satoshi = 0.00000001 BTC is an arbitrary limit, not a physical limit. And maybe it's "hard coded" into BTC but what about Ethereum or Litecoin or... What's to prevent the majority of BTC holders to create another fork and add another decimal?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Over the last week or so, bitcoin people have been bent over and rode hard by the looks of it. Saw it was around 15-16k for bitcoin on the CME a week or so ago and today it was just over 10k.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Right, you could divide gold down to the atomic level - and no further. If you split an atom of gold it ceases to be gold. Not to mention the difficulties in actually holding or measuring very small amounts. This all places practical limits on how small a portion of gold you can use as a store of value.

But 1 Satoshi = 0.00000001 BTC is an arbitrary limit, not a physical limit. And maybe it's "hard coded" into BTC but what about Ethereum or Litecoin or... What's to prevent the majority of BTC holders to create another fork and add another decimal?

This is getting beyond my range of knowledge. I imagine its hard coded because if you change that all of the math and complex hashing is going to different and therefore I think it would destroy the currency if you tried to change that value. I'm sure other coins have taken different options.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
It touched 20k just last week. Sucks to be the people who bought in at that price.

Agreed, I don't mess with things I have absolutley no idea about, I just saw the quotes when I'd check the markets. That would mean its dropped in half in just a week to 10 days time.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
It touched 20k just last week. Sucks to be the people who bought in at that price.

Serious question, does anyone actually purchase anything with Bitcoin or is this just something people are buying and selling hoping to make quick money on? Seems the volatility right now would make it impossible to use as any kind of true currency.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Serious question, does anyone actually purchase anything with Bitcoin or is this just something people are buying and selling hoping to make quick money on? Seems the volatility right now would make it impossible to use as any kind of true currency.

I picked up a Russian bride with amount I had. Will let you know if she was worth it when she arrives. Paid an extra .0000001 bitcoin to cut airholes in her shipping container. Want to start out on a good note.

• Creative
Reactions: Clonefan94

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
It's that option. Very, very, very few retailers/websites accept crypto as payment for stuff. Right now, it's basically people converting USD into BTC, waiting a while/mining more, and selling it back to others for USD.

• Informative
Reactions: Clonefan94