Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I honestly believe that there are a handful of people in this thread that will not be happy until the National Guard is authorized to shoot on sight anyone caught outdoors.
I think the people on here advocating for a SIP or SAH essentially got what they wanted yesterday with Gov. Reynolds implementing even more closures and gave the order to now enforce social distancing in the streets. Maybe the next step if we end up reaching the threshold in certain regions is to close more businesses that aren't absolutely essential, or to put out an order stating if you have an essential business however have employees who absolutely don't have to work in the office, they must wfh. She's made those recommendations before and there really is no way to actually enforce such a thing, but like other people have said, even if some businesses listen to her, that message will end up being a positive.

I do not think anyone on here is saying there should be martial law. That's not even happening in NYC. You're still allowed to leave your house as long as you're not gathering with more than 10 people. This whole thing is a spectrum.. On one side there is complete enforcement where you're shot if you step foot out of your house, while the other side is the entire nation goes back to normal, all social distancing goes out the window, and every single business opens back up. The majority of the nation is somewhere in the middle and either leans one way or the other. There is only a very very small group of people who are on far end of each side, and those people are completely nuts.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I think the people on here advocating for a SIP or SAH essentially got what they wanted yesterday with Gov. Reynolds implementing even more closures and gave the order to now enforce social distancing in the streets. Maybe the next step if we end up reaching the threshold in certain regions is to close more businesses that aren't absolutely essential, or to put out an order stating if you have an essential business however have employees who absolutely don't have to work in the office, they must wfh. She's made those recommendations before and there really is no way to actually enforce such a thing, but like other people have said, even if some businesses listen to her, that message will end up being a positive.

I do not think anyone on here is saying there should be martial law. That's not even happening in NYC. You're still allowed to leave your house as long as you're not gathering with more than 10 people. This whole thing is a spectrum.. On one side there is complete enforcement where you're shot if you step foot out of your house, while the other side is the entire nation goes back to normal, all social distancing goes out the window, and every single business opens back up. The majority of the nation is somewhere in the middle and either leans one way or the other. There is only a very very small group of people who are on far end of each side, and those people are completely nuts.

I am for one part of martial law, have the army go through peoples TP stockpiles and if they have more than 1-2 months worth, they can are shot on site if they are seen with any TP purchases for the next couple months.

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
There sure is a difference for 11 AM press conferences between Reynolds and Cuomo. Maybe that is the reason to move hers up, because I listen to the one not trying to blow smoke up my butt. Not the one where the governor is afraid to get out ahead of the of the train wreck.

*Compares numbers between the two and the respective measures taken by each*

Looks like the train wreck has happened in NYC. We all know who you are saying got ahead of it, but the details tell a different story.

Reactions: jkbuff98

Cytasticlone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 22, 2012
Ames, IA
Even known trails it's still easy to maintain distances from others, I would say shutdown the facilities and buildings, but otherwise there's no harm from people getting a walk/hike in at the moment. The local fire departments aren't at any more risk of being called out for a rescue then any other busy weekend/day.

@simply1 this was why I disagreed. Don’t know that particular park so maybe a particular park has issues but I was disagreeing in a general stance.

If you want to be respectful I can discuss it but I’m not going to respond to someone who is a jackass in the middle of the night when someone doesn’t respond.

@Urbandale2013 While I agree with the thinking that people should be able to maintain distance on trails and it might be safe... I'm coming around to the idea of why parks should be closed in some areas. You quoted this to support keeping parks open but the bolded sentence above explains it best for me. We shouldn't be doing things that cause an atmosphere like "...any other busy weekend/day". That's what we're trying to avoid. If you include people "swarming" to these places because it's something to do then it's going to increase risk of exposure even further. It also increases the odds of needing emergency services like search and rescue and also medical services/treatment for injuries. Those are resources we need to help respond to the pandemic.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
@Urbandale2013 While I agree with the thinking that people should be able to maintain distance on trails and it might be safe... I'm coming around to the idea of why parks should be closed in some areas. You quoted this to support keeping parks open but the bolded sentence above explains it best for me. We shouldn't be doing things that cause an atmosphere like "...any other busy weekend/day". That's what we're trying to avoid. If you include people "swarming" to these places because it's something to do then it's going to increase risk of exposure even further. It also increases the odds of needing emergency services like search and rescue and also medical services/treatment for injuries. Those are resources we need to help respond to the pandemic.
Maybe other places just have more people in their parks but whenever I go to parks I’m never within 6 ft of people.

Reactions: Cytasticlone

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
Thank you, and how many millions of other Americans are in the same boat? My mom has COPD and is 79 years old, she gets it, she would not survive either.

I just cannot figure out why people cannot just stay at home, and why the government is not doing more.

I hear ya @SEIOWA CLONE. such scary times. I am not good at staying home. but, as I said we have tried to find ways to do it while lowering our risk again continued prayers to you and your family

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
No, this is not an SNL video. It's real.

How to make your own face mask without sewing.

Just need cloth and two rubber bands.

Already saw that on Pinterest last week ....;)

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Damn, I had been feeling good about my family quarantine activity. You just made me feel like I might as well be licking hand rails on the subway.

Yeah I'm probably over the top about things but one false step...

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

To me this would be the best thing and while the Governor has said this in the past, I would love for it to be front and center every presser. Going in and actually dictating on a per-job basis would be an incredibly difficult thing to do, but basically saying if you have an employee, regardless if the business is "essential" or not, if they can work from home you need to let them do it. Plus make it clear that it is not binary - if people have some essential functions that must happen on-site let them do that, but have them WFH for everything else.

While she has done that some I'd like to make it more clear, more frequent and at least talk about it as if there might be some level of enforcement available. Unfortunately I think we all hear a little of what we want to hear when the guidance is communicated.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
More than you ever really needed to know about the toilet paper shortage.

https://marker.medium.com/what-everyones-getting-wrong-about-the-toilet-paper-shortage-c812e1358fe0

The TLDR of it: Nobody is using their commercial toilet paper from their work jobs and it is not a quick or simple switch to produce the other type, requiring different machines and different materials.

If McDonald's can figure out how to sell suppliers' milk and hamburger buns from the drive through window to maintain supply chain efficiency, you'd think these manufacturers could figure out a way to package their commercial products for retail sale.

We need to move toward more sustainable products and packaging in general, asap. It's a crisis on the horizon people don't talk about.

I'm a creative director of product design, I have to admit my products are often part of the problem. It's really hard to give people exactly what they want and expect at the price they want in an affordable sustainable way.

The one area I get to at least try to make a difference with is packaging rather than the actual product but still...I had a big client insist that their soft luxurious product be packaged in heavy thick PVC bags that are horrible for the environment, not to mention a pointless waste of their money. I suggested their product didn't need packaging at all (or maybe a better simple disposable polybag or paper wrap) and that with no packaging customers could feel the soft fabrics but she insisted that the customers are used to thick PVC bags and without it, they'll feel the item isn't deluxe enough. Often they falsely claim stuff like that is "reusable" to justify it to themselves which is the biggest crock of ****. It's a crappy looking clear bag that nobody is going to reuse.

However TP is delivered for industrial use would be fine, if industrial packaging weren't sanitary it wouldn't be in use. Slap a cheap sticker on it, especially considering it's only going to sit on a shelf for three minutes. Anytime there is an expensive packaging mistake we slap a sticker over it. Happens all the time. No packaging at all is very possibly an excellent solution as well. I'm guessing 20-40% of our packaged products don't even need packaging.

Reactions: isutrevman

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
*Compares numbers between the two and the respective measures taken by each*

Looks like the train wreck has happened in NYC. We all know who you are saying got ahead of it, but the details tell a different story.

It’s almost like there’s a difference between nyc and iowa.

who the **** would have ever thought that?

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Even known trails it's still easy to maintain distances from others, I would say shutdown the facilities and buildings, but otherwise there's no harm from people getting a walk/hike in at the moment. The local fire departments aren't at any more risk of being called out for a rescue then any other busy weekend/day.
You don’t live out here either do you? They closed the parks because trail heads were crowded and people can’t easily pass each other on narrow mountain trails and weren’t maintaining distance.

You completely missed the point on the rural aspect. They don’t want people mixing with their town to make people sick. They don’t want to use resources that might be needed for the coronavirus. Of course people aren’t at more risk of being called out more than any other busy day. They don’t want to use the resources!

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
@simply1 this was why I disagreed. Don’t know that particular park so maybe a particular park has issues but I was disagreeing in a general stance.

If you want to be respectful I can discuss it but I’m not going to respond to someone who is a jackass in the middle of the night when someone doesn’t respond.
I responded, good luck!

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
The city unbolted the rims from the basketball hoops in the park behind my house to keep people from playing.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Maybe other places just have more people in their parks but whenever I go to parks I’m never within 6 ft of people.
In the mountains? Trailheads have a certain amount of parking out west, just how it is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.