Corey Ihmels to Boise State

TruClone

Mar 25, 2009
Quad Cities
UPDATE:

Subject: Update from your Director of Athletics

Dear Cross Country and Track and Field Student Athletes,

I am writing you this morning at 3:15 a.m. (Saturday morning) because I am wide awake and can’t sleep. I can’t sleep not because I am stressed or worried about the future of our program. On the contrary, I can’t sleep because my mind is racing about the excitement and opportunity we have before us right now to elevate our program to an entirely different level. I can’t sleep because I feel a sense of responsibility to each of you to do my absolute best to find each of you, our program and our institution a new coach who will take the baton we are handing him or her and win the race for us.

Coach Ihmels and his staff, as well as each of you, have done a tremendous job revitalizing our program to national prominence. People now know Iowa State University is in the race – simply put, we matter! However, much like a track race, it is not how you start but how you finish. We need to find a coach that will help each of you finish your own race at Iowa State with the same energy, passion and excitement that you have had in the beginning of your race at Iowa State. It doesn’t matter if you are a senior or an incoming freshman, we owe you the opportunity to have the best possible experience you can have and we plan to see that happens for each and every one of you.

The good news is there is tremendous interest in our program. In addition, with the United States track and field championships in Des Moines this week, it provides an opportunity for us to meet with some of the most talented coaches in the country. Furthermore, as some of you know, my family and I spent a week of vacation in Eugene, Oregon last week supporting our student-athletes who were competing in the national meet. Because Coach Ihmels and I have been talking about his interest in moving back out west for some time, I also took the opportunity to meet with several officials and coaches that work for Nike (with some of the world’s greatest track and field athletes) about our program and possible coaches should Coach Ihmels leave Iowa State.

Needless to say, I have already put the information I gained from those meetings and discussions to work and have set-up interviews with multiple coaches for next week. Part of the reason I can’t sleep is I spent most of the day on Friday talking with several national championship level coaches about everything we have going for us at Iowa State. The more I think about and talk with coaches about it, the more excited I get. There is simply no reason in the world our program can’t be the best program in the Big 12 and compete for national championships. Anyone who thinks differently simply doesn’t get it. The bottom line is I am extremely confident that we will find an outstanding coach and I want each of you to know we are All-In on this process.

Please keep your heads held high and keep working hard in both the classroom and on the track, roads or weight room. Embrace the uncertainty about the future as an opportunity to get even better than what we originally thought we could do. I know that is how I am approaching this challenge.

Go Cyclones!

Jamie Pollard
Director of Athletics
Iowa State University
Jacobson Athletic Building
Ames, Iowa 50011-1140
(515) 294-0123

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
UPDATE:

Subject: Update from your Director of Athletics

Dear Cross Country and Track and Field Student Athletes,

I am writing you this morning at 3:15 a.m. (Saturday morning) because I am wide awake and can’t sleep. I can’t sleep not because I am stressed or worried about the future of our program. On the contrary, I can’t sleep because my mind is racing about the excitement and opportunity we have before us right now to elevate our program to an entirely different level. I can’t sleep because I feel a sense of responsibility to each of you to do my absolute best to find each of you, our program and our institution a new coach who will take the baton we are handing him or her and win the race for us.

Coach Ihmels and his staff, as well as each of you, have done a tremendous job revitalizing our program to national prominence. People now know Iowa State University is in the race – simply put, we matter! However, much like a track race, it is not how you start but how you finish. We need to find a coach that will help each of you finish your own race at Iowa State with the same energy, passion and excitement that you have had in the beginning of your race at Iowa State. It doesn’t matter if you are a senior or an incoming freshman, we owe you the opportunity to have the best possible experience you can have and we plan to see that happens for each and every one of you.

The good news is there is tremendous interest in our program. In addition, with the United States track and field championships in Des Moines this week, it provides an opportunity for us to meet with some of the most talented coaches in the country. Furthermore, as some of you know, my family and I spent a week of vacation in Eugene, Oregon last week supporting our student-athletes who were competing in the national meet. Because Coach Ihmels and I have been talking about his interest in moving back out west for some time, I also took the opportunity to meet with several officials and coaches that work for Nike (with some of the world’s greatest track and field athletes) about our program and possible coaches should Coach Ihmels leave Iowa State.

Needless to say, I have already put the information I gained from those meetings and discussions to work and have set-up interviews with multiple coaches for next week. Part of the reason I can’t sleep is I spent most of the day on Friday talking with several national championship level coaches about everything we have going for us at Iowa State. The more I think about and talk with coaches about it, the more excited I get. There is simply no reason in the world our program can’t be the best program in the Big 12 and compete for national championships. Anyone who thinks differently simply doesn’t get it. The bottom line is I am extremely confident that we will find an outstanding coach and I want each of you to know we are All-In on this process.

Please keep your heads held high and keep working hard in both the classroom and on the track, roads or weight room. Embrace the uncertainty about the future as an opportunity to get even better than what we originally thought we could do. I know that is how I am approaching this challenge.

Go Cyclones!

Jamie Pollard
Director of Athletics
Iowa State University
Jacobson Athletic Building
Ames, Iowa 50011-1140
(515) 294-0123

JP is all in. Every sport. All the time.

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
So this question will probably expose how little I know about track/cross country at the college level, but what is with all the Nike mentions in JP's e-mails? Talks with Nike... Meetings with officials and coaches who work for Nike... Are coaches themselves somehow affiliated with companies like Nike? And then we, as a Nike school, are only able to consider Nike coaches??? I'm confused.

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
So this question will probably expose how little I know about track/cross country at the college level, but what is with all the Nike mentions in JP's e-mails? Talks with Nike... Meetings with officials and coaches who work for Nike... Are coaches themselves somehow affiliated with companies like Nike? And then we, as a Nike school, are only able to consider Nike coaches??? I'm confused.

Part of me thinks this is hinting at a coach from the USA Team level and not a college level coach. I do not think college level coaches are able to be contracted with companies however there are numerous coaches that train people on the national level with big company contracts.

pdxclone

Feb 7, 2007
Metropolis of Ames

Part of the answer is here: TrackTown USA Nike Oregon Project - Nike Track Town Olympic Trials Eugene Oregon Info

Mowilly

May 21, 2008
Capp Timm Field

I will ask the question as you are informed and likely in some ISU running circles. Is Schumacher a consultant or candidate (I know). His Wiscy connections, his connection to Lisa and some of the weird items that came up at Nike over the past year have me wanting to believe he could want to get back into the game (wishful). Not sure if Bucky will give him a look for that job or not- did he burn bridges?

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu

Nike spends a lot of money on track and field stuff. So I'd guess it is partly name dropping and partly that any coach worth their salt was probably at those events and available for Pollard to talk with.

Basically I think the "Nike" mentions were Pollard telling the athletes that he is taking this seriously and they don't need to worry about who their new coach will be.

pdxclone

Feb 7, 2007
Metropolis of Ames
I will ask the question as you are informed and likely in some ISU running circles. Is Schumacher a consultant or candidate (I know). His Wiscy connections, his connection to Lisa and some of the weird items that came up at Nike over the past year have me wanting to believe he could want to get back into the game (wishful). Not sure if Bucky will give him a look for that job or not- did he burn bridges?

I don't know if Schumacher would want to go back to the college ranks. It would appear that he has a great deal of resources at his disposal being a Nike employee. His techniques are polarizing; yet knows what he is doing.

If Schumacher has been approached or at least consulted on who Pollard should pursue, it is a good sign for ISU. That is level of coaches ISU should be able to attract with the Bergan legacy, the new outdoor track, the indoor track that has hosted many big meets, the XC only course that will host the NCAA Regional this Fall, defending Women's Big12 XC Champs, etc., etc.

Change is good. Corey wants to build a program out West. Good challenge for him after 11 years plus a college career in Ames. ISU wants to compete not only for Big12 titles but NCAA championships. The athletes want to be competitive and now Pollard needs to find that head coach that will accept that challenge. I hope Lisa has a connection to the new coach and she stays connected with the program.

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Any chance to get Dan Steele? UNI women's head coach former Oregon coach with family ties in Iowa?

If by chance you mean if we ask will he come I bet the answer is yes.

Not sure I'd be overly impressed with this hire. UNI has made improvements since he got there but given the talk from these apparent emails from Pollard it this would be a let down.

F5cy

May 1, 2011
Washington, D.C.
Given JP's background as a runner, do you think he takes it a little more personally than some of the other coaching positions at ISU?

(Not that he isn't All In for all of the ISU AD, but sometimes you can have favorites...)

pdxclone

Feb 7, 2007
Metropolis of Ames
Any chance to get Dan Steele? UNI women's head coach former Oregon coach with family ties in Iowa?

I would hope Pollard would talk to Dan Steele. Speaking of Oregon ties, Andy Powell has excellent credentials and since he was passed up for the Ducks' Head Coaching in the last year maybe he would be interested. A plus would be his wife is a distance coach as well.

Another name to throw out there is Mario Sategna, Texas Associate Head Coach who was at Minnesota. Sategna also has international experience.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Another name to throw out there is Mario Sategna, Texas Associate Head Coach who was at Minnesota. Sategna also has international experience.

The Texas men's HC just announced his retirement. Looks like UT will combine its men's and women's programs into one entity.

Help Support Us

Become a patron