Corey Ihmels to Boise State

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
From Pollard to the athletes forwarded Track/CC letterwinners.

Dear Cross Country and Track and Field Student Athletes,

As many of you recently heard, Coach Ihmels has decided to leave Iowa State University for another coaching position. While we are certainly sad to see Corey leave Iowa State University, we also respect his personal decision and desire to live in that part of the country.

I also realize many of you have concerns and questions about what the future holds for each of you and for our program. Although there will be more questions than answers in the short term, I want each of you to take comfort in the following:

1. There is not another program in the country that has an Athletics Administration that cares about and knows more about your sport than our administration.
  2. You have my personal commitment that hiring a new coach is going to be our number one focus. In fact, I have already been in contact with several potential coaches and I am confident we will find a coach that will not only continue our outstanding tradition, but will help elevate our program to the next level.

We are not the first program nor are we the last program to experience a change in our head coach. We will get through this together and we will have a new coach on board as quickly as possible.

If you have any specific questions or concerns, please direct them to Calli Sanders ([email protected]) or 515-294-3706. Calli will serve as the point person for most of your questions as I will be dedicating my time to conducting the search for our new head coach.

Go Cyclones!

Jamie Pollard
Director of Athletics

I'll second the other posts that "like" having a boss that you know is interested in this since he is track guy himself. Can't see him shorting our program.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I would imagine Pollard would want the best coach possible to be coaching his son here at ISU in a few years, right?

pdxclone

Feb 7, 2007
Metropolis of Ames
As usual, coaching changes are good news and bad news.

Good news
The new coach will be more even handed between women's and men's teams.
The new coach can bring in better training methods that will keep athletes healthy and therefore more competitive.
The new coach will be able to attract a higher level of recruit especially with the facilities ISU has in place.

Bad news
What do top recruits like Anna Holdiman think?
Ihmels did have success this year winning the Big 12 Women's XC Championship.
Will Lisa Uhl remain involved with the program since she and Kiel just moved back from Portland.

Overall it seems like a strange move but considering JW Hardy was out at Boise State in April. Ihmels must have had a eye on leaving for a some time. Not better facilities, not a better conference, low talent on roster, lateral move on salary ... hmmmm.

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin

Good news
The new coach can bring in better training methods that will keep athletes healthy and therefore more competitive.
The new coach will be able to attract a higher level of recruit especially with the facilities ISU has in place.

Bad news
Will Lisa Uhl remain involved with the program since she and Kiel just moved back from Portland.

Overall it seems like a strange move but considering JW Hardy was out at Boise State in April. Ihmels must have had a eye on leaving for a some time. Not better facilities, not a better conference, low talent on roster, lateral move on salary ... hmmmm.

At worst he is taking over a program at the level that ISU was at when he took over.

pdxclone

Feb 7, 2007
Metropolis of Ames
At worst he is taking over a program at the level that ISU was at when he took over.

Your opinion ... I'm familiar with Boise's current roster and who they have recruited over the last 5 years and they are not at the level ISU was at when he took over ... they are worse.

Go back and look at the HS times of athletes in both programs and you will see the difference.

MoreCowbell

Apr 23, 2009
Apparently he Loved Boise when he lived there. This was one of his "dream" jobs that happened to come open. It's not necessarily a better school/salary/program but it sounds like loving the city/area can make up for that, at least for him.

I'm more bummed for the assistant coaches. My husband is good friends with quite a few of them, and they'll most likely be looking for new jobs.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008

Good news
Corey Ihmels is a turd sandwich

Bad news

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Your opinion ... I'm familiar with Boise's current roster and who they have recruited over the last 5 years and they are not at the level ISU was at when he took over ... they are worse.

Go back and look at the HS times of athletes in both programs and you will see the difference.

Your opinion as well... ISU was downright not good in Track and Field in 2006-2007. We sent Neil Heins and scored 5 points on the mens side (good enough for 46th) I think we only sent like 2 or 3 people on the women's side and got 46th as well with no AA.

Just because that roster had Freshman versions of Bor, Marial and a Sophomore Kyle Uhl on the mens side, and then Freshman Lisa Kohl doesn't mean that it was better than a team that this year sent 4 people to the the Championships and had a SO two time AA. Our lone AA the season before Cory took over was a Senior.

That adds to the level of impressiveness of what Cory did. Iowa was the better program in the state, hands down, now it is completely the opposite, and we aren't getting 2nd to last in the Big 12s constantly. We should be able to land a very good coach now whereas we had to dig for an assistant on staff when he took over because we were that bad off.

We can play "I know more than you" all day but it is just going to end up making us both look silly debating track and field when most of the people on here have absolutely no interest. Heck, the guy who put ISU back on the map in a sport that has actually been competing for Conference and National Championships up and left, and we get 2 pages. If volleyball, football, wrestling or basketball had their ASSISTANT coaches there would be 10 pages at this point. Heck if Scott Drew at Baylor left out of nowhere we would be at more pages on this site.

CYlent Bob

Aug 7, 2006
The Winterset Metroplex
Sounds like Boise State got a new Track/Cross Country coach with the same strategy that ISU used to recruit their MBB coach: Go after a successful former alum. It might be a lateral move on paper, but with the intagibles it looks like he's going up a step. Good luck to him in the future, and thanks for what he did while he was here.

CYlent Bob

Aug 7, 2006
The Winterset Metroplex
Your opinion as well... ISU was downright not good in Track and Field in 2006-2007. We sent Neil Heins and scored 5 points on the mens side (good enough for 46th) I think we only sent like 2 or 3 people on the women's side and got 46th as well with no AA.

Just because that roster had Freshman versions of Bor, Marial and a Sophomore Kyle Uhl on the mens side, and then Freshman Lisa Kohl doesn't mean that it was better than a team that this year sent 4 people to the the Championships and had a SO two time AA. Our lone AA the season before Cory took over was a Senior.

That adds to the level of impressiveness of what Cory did. Iowa was the better program in the state, hands down, now it is completely the opposite, and we aren't getting 2nd to last in the Big 12s constantly. We should be able to land a very good coach now whereas we had to dig for an assistant on staff when he took over because we were that bad off.

We can play "I know more than you" all day but it is just going to end up making us both look silly debating track and field when most of the people on here have absolutely no interest. Heck, the guy who put ISU back on the map in a sport that has actually been competing for Conference and National Championships up and left, and we get 2 pages. If volleyball, football, wrestling or basketball had their ASSISTANT coaches there would be 10 pages at this point. Heck if Scott Drew at Baylor left out of nowhere we would be at more pages on this site.

Well duh. Gloating is much more fun than mourning the loss of a good coach. And where Scott "bag which douches" Drew is concerned, gloating is the only game in town.

pdxclone

Feb 7, 2007
Metropolis of Ames
I'm more bummed for the assistant coaches. My husband is good friends with quite a few of them, and they'll most likely be looking for new jobs.

Perhaps this an opportunity for one of them. They may also stay if they impress the new coach or have a good relationship to the coach. Many times it is a connection that brought them to Ames in the first place. The job will probably go to someone with a connection already established.

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
Here is what the DSM Reg reported today:
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/ar...coach-to-take-over-Boise-State-program?Sports

It looks mostly like a personal decision based on liking it when he lived there and wanting to go back and raise his family there.

FROM THE ARTICLE:

Ihmels approached Iowa State athletic director Jamie Pollard about the possibility of him leaving six weeks ago. The decision for Ihmels, who coached 51 All-Americans in his tenure at Iowa State, wasn’t easy.

Ultimately, the lifestyle of the West, which Ihmels and his wife are both familiar with, better suited them and their two children.

“He’s been grinding on this for a month and a half,” Pollard said Friday night. “He and I spent a lot of time together at the NCAA track meet last week, trying to help him soul-search and figure out what was going to be right for his family.”

Iowa State has already spent time looking for a replacement.

“We’re already well into the search,” Pollard said. “I spent time with the Nike folks last week in anticipation of this.”

Pollard was confident that despite the sudden change, Iowa State would continue its success both in track and cross country.

“Our program will be fine,” Pollard said. “It’s a speed bump, and we’re sad to see Corey leave, but he’s put the program in a great position and it’s very attractive to a lot of people.”

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Perhaps this is idiotic but wouldn't high altitude campuses be at an advantage for this sport? For all I know Boise is in some valley but I know there are mountains nearby at least. Why wouldn't the most serious athletes and coaches want to be at high altitudes?

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Perhaps this is idiotic but wouldn't high altitude campuses be at an advantage for this sport? For all I know Boise is in some valley but I know there are mountains nearby at least. Why wouldn't the most serious athletes and coaches want to be at high altitudes?

Colorado used to be a powerhouse in the Big 12 in X-Country for this very reason I believe.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

This is what I thought immediately. However, I could easily be wrong on this, but I think the best way is to live high and train low, and Boise isn't even over 3000 ft. I'm sure the elevation would give them more training options, though.

Help Support Us

Become a patron