Concrete delivery

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
Anyone recently get concrete delivered and diy it? I need a suggestion on whom to call for a truck to stop by the house? It seems like I can only find contractors that want to charge an arm and a leg to do it all with only a basic finish.
Also if anyone knows how much a yard of concrete goes for id appreciate it. Thanks.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
It’s been a while since I’ve poured anything but have several times. It’s going to depend a lot where you are. Small town Iowa the guy in the truck will probably help you screed it. Urban places I wouldn’t expect it. I used to always say $90 a yard for estimates but no idea if it’s been affected with insane material prices like lumber

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I believe all you do is call up the local concrete places and get quotes for the yards you need and a delivery time. Liberty ready mix popped up for a quick google search in Des Moines, Manatts is just off I-35 up in Ankeny.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Up here in Dirty Dodge, 3000# concrete is close to $125 per yard. Also be prepared to pay a short load fee if you aren't buying a certain amount - I think 7 yards is the cutoff, but don't quote me on that.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
I opened this expecting it to be another thread about the WRNL satire article and Iowa.

Do places still have pull behind concrete tows you can use? It was about 25 years ago but the local ready-mix had a small open top wagon/box that they filled and I pulled it back to my place. Probably held about 1.5 yards (which is right about towing capacity of most small trucks).

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
I believe all you do is call up the local concrete places and get quotes for the yards you need and a delivery time. Liberty ready mix popped up for a quick google search in Des Moines, Manatts is just off I-35 up in Ankeny.
Manatts are great Cyclone fans as an added bonus. They supplied the concrete for my new drive and entrance walk last fall. Very friendly, helpful people.

Reactions: NWICY and wxman1

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Anyone recently get concrete delivered and diy it? I need a suggestion on whom to call for a truck to stop by the house? It seems like I can only find contractors that want to charge an arm and a leg to do it all with only a basic finish.
Also if anyone knows how much a yard of concrete goes for id appreciate it. Thanks.

The delivery isn't the hard or expensive part. It's the labor on the ground. And If you and some friends are doing the setting, just make sure everything (forms...level lines) are down and everything/one is ready to go before they deliver. I don't know how big your job is, I'm sure there is a minimum they require before they will deliver. In other words......they won't run a cement truck out for a couple of sections of sidewalk. Good luck.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
7 yds per truck @ $125 is about right BUT the current post Covid economy probably has pushed that cost up. I’ve poured & finished a lot of flat concrete floors for livestock & driveways using 2x4 forms, power compactor, a level & a 2x4 screed (takes 3 stout men to screed off cement correctly if it’s 8’+ wide). If you want a professional smooth finish hire a pro who has the equipment, crew & experience. Their is a skill involved in finishing off concrete that relates to moisture in the crete, moisture in the atmosphere & temperature. In our area, we have a business that has trucks that have Portland, water & rock in separate bins and the chute is a screw that mixes as it goes down the chute. Great for jobs of less than 7 yds as it shuts off at the exact amount as the form is filled.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
Like others have said, depends on the plant and area but figure minimum $125/yd with a 5-7 yd minimum.

You might see if there is a "short load" concrete outfit in your area. Concrete is a little bit more, but with a volumetric mixer right on the back of the truck they make exactly what you need, when you need it.

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
7 yds per truck @ $125 is about right BUT the current post Covid economy probably has pushed that cost up. I’ve poured & finished a lot of flat concrete floors for livestock & driveways using 2x4 forms, power compactor, a level & a 2x4 screed (takes 3 stout men to screed off cement correctly if it’s 8’+ wide). If you want a professional smooth finish hire a pro who has the equipment, crew & experience. Their is a skill involved in finishing off concrete that relates to moisture in the crete, moisture in the atmosphere & temperature. In our area, we have a business that has trucks that have Portland, water & rock in separate bins and the chute is a screw that mixes as it goes down the chute. Great for jobs of less than 7 yds as it shuts off at the exact amount as the form is filled.
This is the only way to go!! They will make it as wet or dry as you want it. If having the choice between a ready-mix type of concrete truck or a mobile concrete truck I'd choose the mobile truck 100/100 times. Prices are very comparable or maybe even cheaper than ready-mix. The company I've used in Denison I think their #4000 is about $120/yd with a 3 yd minimum.

I'm not familiar with the concrete companies in Des Moines but if you can find one with mobile concrete trucks I'd highly suggest looking into it.

Last edited:

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Manatts are great Cyclone fans as an added bonus. They supplied the concrete for my new drive and entrance walk last fall. Very friendly, helpful people.

Some of them. Huge number of Hawk fans over in the Brooklyn area which is kind of their home base.

Do places still have pull behind concrete tows you can use? It was about 25 years ago but the local ready-mix had a small open top wagon/box that they filled and I pulled it back to my place. Probably held about 1.5 yards (which is right about towing capacity of most small trucks).

That's what I was going to say - small enough job I'd form it up yourself and rent a small mixer from a rental shop, and rent a transit so you can make sure your forms are level before starting the pour.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive

Yeah, it was pretty cool yesterday when one of the guys pissed in the street in our neighborhood near the time when the bus comes to pick up the kids.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
This is the only way to go!! They will make it as wet or dry as you want it. If having the choice between a ready-mix type of concrete truck or a mobile concrete truck I'd choose the mobile truck 100/100 times. Prices are very comparable or maybe even cheaper than ready-mix. The company I've used in Denison I think their #4000 is about $120/yd with a 3 yd minimum.

I'm not familiar with the concrete companies in Des Moines but if you can find one with mobile concrete trucks I'd highly suggest looking into it.
That's cool. Never heard of that and sounds like it would be great for smaller, diy jobs

Reactions: cyinne

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
I live in Ankeny, so if anyone knows of a central iowa company. The patio i am looking to do is around 9 yards worth of concrete, but if a truck only holds 7 i can adjust my layout. I contacted Manatts and they don't do residential projects.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I had Iowa State Redi Mix deliver my concrete yesterday. I had around 1700 sq ft poured which was right at around 2 1/2 mixers. 4000 psi.

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
I live in Ankeny, so if anyone knows of a central iowa company. The patio i am looking to do is around 9 yards worth of concrete, but if a truck only holds 7 i can adjust my layout. I contacted Manatts and they don't do residential projects.
Hmmm..they did this one last fall and another one just down the street.

20200820_113726-resized3.jpg