Comet Neowise

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I was able to see it naked eye last night in clearer skies. It was actually better in binoculars than with my 8" reflector. Had some issues with condensation on the scope, damn humidity.

Scope was better with Jupiter and Saturn which are fantastic right now.

Reactions: Bluffers and bawbie

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
I had a great view at 11 last night, below big dipper, closer to horizon. Much better with binocs.

Reactions: aauummm

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
Could just see it with my naked eyes last night starting around 10:15 pm or so. Crappy binoculars actually helped a lot too.

Reactions: aauummm

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Thurs night was better viewing than last night.

I was a bit disappointed in how hard it was to see with the naked eye, but it looked great with binocs, and also got some decent pics.

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
Naked eye viewing was spectacular in dark skies Friday night. Imagine the width of your hand at arms length. That’s how much tail you could make out. Got a flyby from the space station early on as well. Then I botched the focus on an entire evening of shooting. :mad:

Clouds threaten tonight but it only takes a brief window.

Reactions: simply1 and aauummm

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Naked eye viewing was spectacular in dark skies Friday night. Imagine the width of your hand at arms length. That’s how much tail you could make out. Got a flyby from the space station early on as well. Then I botched the focus on an entire evening of shooting. :mad:

Clouds threaten tonight but it only takes a brief window.
I went out Friday night. Pictures didn't come out as cool as I had hoped. This is probably the best of the bunch. If I had access to Adobe Lightroom with some of the preset filters it might be kind of cool
IMG_0099 - Edited.jpg

Last edited:

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
P7200487m.jpg

Got a quick .jpeg grab of tonight's Ankeny driveway viewing. The position gets a little higher each night and I don't trust Iowa skies to be clear very often. Get 'em while you can. I should have something a bit cleaner tomorrow.

Reactions: Cyclones_R_GR8

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
That makes me want to go out and try again
Seems like the shots that are the most dramatic the photographer must back away from their foreground subject matter and use a longer (200-300mm?) lens. Then they are either tracking the sky or stacking multiple images using something like Starry Landscape Tracker. Because even where I was under perfect skies, no way does a single shot come out that good.

In my experience the comet has gotten higher and more clear by the day. Got for it!

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Ok I’m late to the party. What’s the deal with this thing. Is it still able to be viewed?

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Seems like the shots that are the most dramatic the photographer must back away from their foreground subject matter and use a longer (200-300mm?) lens. Then they are either tracking the sky or stacking multiple images using something like Starry Landscape Tracker. Because even where I was under perfect skies, no way does a single shot come out that good.

In my experience the comet has gotten higher and more clear by the day. Got for it!
That's what I think as well. These aren't pictures taken by average Joes like me.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Ok I’m late to the party. What’s the deal with this thing. Is it still able to be viewed?
You still should be able to view it but it is getting fainter as it is moving away from the sun. I don't think it is as easy to spot as they make it sound. The only way I found it was by taking a picture of the sky. Once I saw where it was via the picture I could kind of see it with the naked eye. You really need binoculars. It should be visible about an hour past sunset below the Big Dipper.

Reactions: TXCyclones

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
View attachment 73727

@4theCYcle, would you care to share some info on those? Very nice. If I could get the ion tail I could stop.

The 1st image is a stack of 4 photos. But single exif data is this: 200mm f2.8 2.5 to 4 sec ISO 4000. I was off just a hair with a hint of star trails. I also did crop it down a little.

2nd image - stack of 5 images (for reduced noise is why I do that) 32mm f2.8 8 sec ISO 4000.

Just like in my milky way photos, I generally use the rule of 300 when figuring shutter speed. 300/focal length. It'll get it close to reduce star trails.

Reactions: Turn2