College Football Playoffs Thread

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I think Alabama, Penn State, Georgia and Notre Dame are the four best teams in college football this year. Doesn't mean they'll all be in the playoffs though.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
TCU will not be there since they will get a wicked beating this weekend. OU could play back in, but they did not look good against us or KSU, so I think they might be headed for another loss. So Big12 ends up screwed (thanks to us!).

Pac12 appears to be screwed.

Alabama
Georgia if only loss is to Bama in SEC CCG
PSU
Winner of Clemson/Miami in ACC CCG

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
Teams that win and are in, lose and are out:
Clemson
Oklahoma
Auburn
Wisconsin
Georgia
Miami

2, 3, or 4 of those teams will win. If there are one or two spots available the question is if Ohio St., TCU, or USC with a win get ahead of Alabama.

• Informative
Reactions: Doc

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Teams that win and are in, lose and are out:
Clemson
Oklahoma
Auburn
Wisconsin
Georgia
Miami

2, 3, or 4 of those teams will win. If there are one or two spots available the question is if Ohio St., TCU, or USC with a win get ahead of Alabama.

Not so fast. As bad as our screw job was yesterday, I think Wisconsin is getting setup for an even worse one. I think the committee will find a way to put Alabama in over Wisconsin. Don't know why, it just seems like Satan will find a way in.

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
Not so fast. As bad as our screw job was yesterday, I think Wisconsin is getting setup for an even worse one. I think the committee will find a way to put Alabama in over Wisconsin. Don't know why, it just seems like Satan will find a way in.
Both Miami and Wisconsin have a chance of not making it if they win, but its pretty remote given they would both be conference champions and coming off a top 10 win. Like you said, it would be a screw job in either case and would lead to major backlash/repercussions.

• Disagree
Reactions: isufbcurt

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Both Miami and Wisconsin have a chance of not making it if they win, but its pretty remote given they would both be conference champions and coming off a top 10 win. Like you said, it would be a screw job in either case and would lead to major backlash/repercussions.

There is absolutely no chance a 13-0 Wisconsin is left out.

• Agree
Reactions: cmjh10 and MeanDean

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
1. Winner of SEC champ game (GA or Auburn)
"because it's the best conference, obviously"

2. Alabama
"well they just lost that one game to on the road, plus they're Bama you know - eye test and all"

3. Winner of ACC champ game (Miami or Clemson)
"guess we need to put one of those in there, Clemson has been good lately, right?"

4. Winner of B1G champ game (Wisky or OSU)
"we really were hoping for OSU, but since Wisky was undefeated couldn't turn them down" OR
"OSU had the best body of work, including beating an undefeated Wisconsin team!"

Rationale for the sodomized:
OU - beating TCU twice actually made both wins count less! funny how that worked out huh?
Wisky (if they lose to OSU) - just didn't have that quality audience, er, win that we look for
Miami/Clemson loser - gotta win your conference, bubba
Auburn/Georgia loser - gotta win your conference, bubba
Pac12 - just kidding, they won't even get asked about the Pac12

OK, that's my cynical post. I will do a more serious one too.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
1. Winner of Auburn vs. GA is in.
2. If Oklahoma wins they are in.
3. Winner of Clemson vs. Miami is in.
4a. Wisconsin is in if they win.
4b. Alabama is in if Wisconsin loses

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
OK, in seriousness this time...

Here's the top 8 teams, really, in no particular order:
Clemson 11-1
Miami 11-1
Wisconsin 12-0
Ohio State 10-2
Auburn 10-2
Georgia 11-1
Oklahoma 11-1
Alabama 11-1

6 of those teams play each other in champ games.

The have not let a 2 loss team in yet, I am fairly sure. So I think that is a key point. That means there are only 6 teams currently "eligible". But after champ day, you will have between 3 and 5 one loss teams remaining.

If there are 3 one-loss teams (ie OU and GA both lose) then you will get ACC winner, B1G champ game winner, Bama, and Auburn. Note you would get 2 two-loss teams here, with Auburn and OSU, but I think OSU would get in over Wisky with 1 loss having just beat them.

If there are 4 one-loss teams, you will get ACC winner, Bama, OU or GA, and Wisky/OSU winner. Maybe you will get Auburn instead of OSU, if they have won too.

If there are 5 one-loss teams (OU and GA both win), it gets tougher. ACC winner still in. If Wisky beats OSU, then one of OU, GA, Bama gets left out - I'd guess OU. If OSU beats Wisky, then OU, GA, Bama all in.

Themes:
Bama gets in in most cases.
GA for sure gets in with a win.
OU very likely gets in with a win.
Wisky for sure gets in with a win, probably not with a loss.
OSU very likely gets in with a win.
Auburn very likely gets in with a win.

Note this isn't what I would do.

I'd put in the winners of the ACC, B1G, and SEC champ games. Period. And OU if they win. If OU loses, then I probably grab... Bama.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Anyone who thinks an undefeated P5 conference champion isn't getting into the playoff is daydreaming.

Wisconsin will likely get in, and then get 50 pointed by Auburn.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I just checked on bovada and Alabama, OU, and Clemson are all tied for the best odds to so the title.

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
It appears that Oklahoma, and Georgia are in for sure. At this moment the Buckeyes and Clemson are winning. If Clemson wins they are in. If Ohio State wins...things may get interesting. I would bet they’d put Alabama in over Ohio State. Even with a Big 10 Championship.

My rankings if Clemson and Ohio St wins:
#1 Clemson, #2 OU, #3 Georgia, #4 Alabama

If Clemson and Wisconsin win
#1 Clemson, #2 OU, #3 Georgia, #4 Wisconsin

If Miami and Ohio St win
#1 OU, #2 Georgia, #3 Alabama, #4 Miami (another SEC rematch would be strange but it’s how it should en up)

If Miami and Wisconsin win
#1 OU, #2 Georgia, #3 Miami, #4 Wisconsin

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
It appears that Oklahoma, and Georgia are in for sure. At this moment the Buckeyes and Clemson are winning. If Clemson wins they are in. If Ohio State wins...things may get interesting. I would bet they’d put Alabama in over Ohio State. Even with a Big 10 Championship.

My rankings if Clemson and Ohio St wins:
#1 Clemson, #2 OU, #3 Georgia, #4 Alabama

If Clemson and Wisconsin win
#1 Clemson, #2 OU, #3 Georgia, #4 Wisconsin

If Miami and Ohio St win
#1 OU, #2 Georgia, #3 Alabama, #4 Miami (another SEC rematch would be strange but it’s how it should en up)

If Miami and Wisconsin win
#1 OU, #2 Georgia, #3 Miami, #4 Wisconsin

If OSU and Miami win I don't see them putting Miami in over OSU.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Hopefully OSU wins by a few TDs and the committee is forced to put two SEC teams in. If not for a gift pick-six it would be 21-0. Wisconsin is a hell of a MAC, err, Big 10 West team though.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
When will they stop calling it the P5 and start calling it the P4.5? Good gravy the B1Gwest is bad.

Georgia
Oklahoma
Clemson
Ohio State (barf)

I don't want OSU in there but just wait for it - "conference championships matter"....this year....since OSU won a conference championship.

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
If OSU and Miami win I don't see them putting Miami in over OSU.
Miami only has one loss though. And it wasn’t to Iowa by a blowout. It’ll be interesting to see how blatant the committee wants their biasses to show. Miami is currently getting housed so it is probably a moot point.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron