College Football Mismatches: "Why Play Unfair Blowouts"

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Interesting background info on the biggest blow out in Collegiate FB history, Georgia Tech's 220- 0 vs Cumberland in 1916 - even back then they had 'buyout' fees:

College football mismatches: Why do they play these unfair blowouts?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nc...se-unfair-blowouts/ar-BBNcvL1?ocid=spartandhp

"....Cumberland had canceled all of its sports programs for financial reasons the previous spring. A student manager at the smaller school had neglected to inform all parties, and Georgia Tech refused to allow Cumberland to back out of the agreement. So, that same student rounded up 13 members of his fraternity to play the game in Atlanta - saving the school from a $3,000 buyout fee and instead earning $500 for Cumberland..."

I'm personally starting to lose interest - and I've watched / listened to every Cyclone FB game since my Frosh year in 1975, but this year I didn't sign up for CyTV game vs SDS (I was going to stream the radio, but didn't want to invest 3.5 hours watching).

Kinda sucks Alabama / Auburn / Georgia get to play Citidel / Liberty / U Mass in November. In 2015 Georgia paid Southern $1 MM for a game and a 158-lb Southern players was paralyzed from the waist down.
No wonder Flordia had a decrease in student attendance in the last few years. Iowa has struggled selling out some games in last few years. If the games are not going to be competitive, and if your team is not highly ranked, malaise and indifference will set in.
Even worst in MBB; I feel for these non P5 teams I see in airports; some of them go on the road for 5-6 weeks and don't play a home game in Nov, Dec.

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
Interesting background info on the biggest blow out in Collegiate FB history, Georgia Tech's 220- 0 vs Cumberland in 1916 - even back then they had 'buyout' fees:

College football mismatches: Why do they play these unfair blowouts?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nc...se-unfair-blowouts/ar-BBNcvL1?ocid=spartandhp

"....Cumberland had canceled all of its sports programs for financial reasons the previous spring. A student manager at the smaller school had neglected to inform all parties, and Georgia Tech refused to allow Cumberland to back out of the agreement. So, that same student rounded up 13 members of his fraternity to play the game in Atlanta - saving the school from a $3,000 buyout fee and instead earning $500 for Cumberland..."

I'm personally starting to lose interest - and I've watched / listened to every Cyclone FB game since my Frosh year in 1975, but this year I didn't sign up for CyTV game vs SDS (I was going to stream the radio, but didn't want to invest 3.5 hours watching).

Kinda sucks Alabama / Auburn / Georgia get to play Citidel / Liberty / U Mass in November. In 2015 Georgia paid Southern $1 MM for a game and a 158-lb Southern players was paralyzed from the waist down.
No wonder Flordia had a decrease in student attendance in the last few years. Iowa has struggled selling out some games in last few years. If the games are not going to be competitive, and if your team is not highly ranked, malaise and indifference will set in.
Even worst in MBB; I feel for these non P5 teams I see in airports; some of them go on the road for 5-6 weeks and don't play a home game in Nov, Dec.

If those small schools didn't get something out of it...they wouldn't agree to play. If you're over it...then get over it. Sell your tickets and make room for the next fan. Problem solved!

Sorry...I'm just tired of all the ******** and moaning lately. It's getting ridiculous. I love this forum but it's starting to appeal to me as much as black hearts i **** my pants with all the complaining whoa is me attitudes.
/rant

L

LincolnWay187

Someone's gotta pay for the women's underwater basketweaving teams scholarships who's games have 7 people attending yet the basketweavers get free school.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
giphy.gif

• Agree
Reactions: GTO

bsaltyman

Drinker of Ames Lager
SuperFanatic
Sep 20, 2012
Ames, IA
Why do they schedule and play mismatches? It all comes down to $$$. That’s really the only reason college football does anything these days.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
So, what you are saying, is that you are perfetly fine with the taxpayers of Iowa, The Iowa State AD and the Iowa AD PAYING MONEY to support UNI and Drake's Athletics? That is what you are saying right? Because a "buyout" game means that those schools can have athletic programs and help give those kids a college education, even if it is at Incarnate Word.

• Agree
Reactions: CycoCyclone

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
If those small schools didn't get something out of it...they wouldn't agree to play. If you're over it...then get over it. Sell your tickets and make room for the next fan. Problem solved!

Sorry...I'm just tired of all the ******** and moaning lately. It's getting ridiculous. I love this forum but it's starting to appeal to me as much as black hearts i **** my pants with all the complaining whoa is me attitudes.
/rant

Post a picture for me next time you pay for tickets to a Bowl game in Boise....in December. I'm ready to hand my 43-yr old batton off, cuz I ain't buying any more tix to see 6-6 teams play bowl games.

L

LincolnWay187

Post a picture for me next time you pay for tickets to a Bowl game in Boise....in December. I'm ready to hand my 43-yr old batton off, cuz I ain't buying any more tix to see 6-6 teams play bowl games.
There's more Iowa State alums now than ever. If you want to give up your tickets and whine about Iowa State actually beinf decent for a change please do so

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I love watching us blow teams out. It has not happened often enough for me to get tired of it. Getting the 12th game was the best news I heard all day yesterday, yet people feel they need to gripe about it.

Rise up Cyclone Nation and celebrate. If nothing else, we got an 8th tailgate! How many other teams in the country get to have 8 home tailgates?

JP for President!

• Agree
Reactions: GTO and CycoCyclone

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
There's more Iowa State alums now than ever. If you want to give up your tickets and whine about Iowa State actually beinf decent for a change please do so

I live in Houston and buy season tix for: FB, Wrestling, Women's VB and give them all away - haven't seen an event in Ames in years, but I wouldn't give a tix to you. I do buy visitor tix for FB and MBB games in TX. I have rooms and flight bought for Maui. Not bragging, just a Cyclone fan, but it is getting old after 43 years.
I ain't whinning this was a general article posted today that is more indicitive of collegiate FB and the decining attendance trend......

*Edit*: take that back, I did fly back to Iowa (to visit fam) and made it to the MBB vs Mary Eastern Shore game in Hilton last Dec. Worst collegiate b-ball game I've ever seen in person.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron