Coaching Candidates - Tommy Birch (DMRegister)

MilehighClone

Sep 14, 2007
Chuck Jean.

Not a candidate for the head coaching position, but a great "where are they now" story.

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
Wow. I'm impressed by the thoughtfulness of the posts I've read today. It shows how much passion exists for Cyclone Wrestling.

However, anyone mentioning Cael as a legit candidate is wasting their time, everyone else's, and bandwidth. It is just flat out not happening.
I've yet to read a single post were someone actually thinks he's interested. However IF you are the AD and you don't make the call to Cael with a serious offer you should be fired. I'd probably be firing you NEI

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
I've yet to read a single post were someone actually thinks he's interested. However IF you are the AD and you don't make the call to Cael with a serious offer you should be fired. I'd probably be firing you NEI

Several have him on their list, saying throw x dollars at him, etc. They have to think he might have some interest to even list him. Nothing has changed in his reasons to go to PSU including the guy doing the search. "Making a call" is a waste of time and a lesser version of saying JP should have made a call to Belichek before hiring Campbell.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
This isn't about hiring Cael, it's about finding a suitable candidate to restore the program. We need to learn from the past and make the hire due to experience and results, period.

BTW - KJ did not meet the criteria snce he had no prior experience in D1 coaching and, using this criteria, wouldn't have been considered to replace Cael

I know we're not going to hire Cael. My whole point is that he would not have met your criteria before. Anyway, since you're not getting it, I went through all the names mentioned in this thread and applied your criteria. The list that is left includes: Varner, Dresser, Hahn, Cunningham, Sanderson(Cody), Morningstar, Jaggars & Guerrero. Of these, Dresser is the only one that meets your "preferred" head coach criteria.

jmb1498

Dec 13, 2014
Raleigh NC
My list would be:
  1. Popolizio
  2. Dresser
  3. Cody S
  4. M Perry
  5. Reader
  6. Heskett
  7. Bono
  8. Malecek
  9. Hartung
  10. Jim Gibbons
In my mind the top 3 are clearly a step above all other options!

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Agree that Pop, Dresser, Cody or Casey, then I had in Hahn are above the others

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
You mean Cael wouldn't be interested in leaving the best program in the nation, taking a 300k drop in salary, and coming to a dumpster fire of a program? Man, I don't see why not? o_O

• Funny
Reactions: jmb1498

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Several have him on their list, saying throw x dollars at him, etc. They have to think he might have some interest to even list him. Nothing has changed in his reasons to go to PSU including the guy doing the search. "Making a call" is a waste of time and a lesser version of saying JP should have made a call to Belichek before hiring Campbell.
If the absolute worst would happen - Cael says "thanks but no thanks" - it could be a ten minute phone call for Jamie. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
If the absolute worst would happen - Cael says "thanks but no thanks" - it could be a ten minute phone call for Jamie. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Yes, but he'd have to have something to offer Cael besides "This is your alma mater", and "Our singlets look way better than what you've got now", don't you think? What could he offer him that he doesn't have at Penn State?

Last edited:
  • Creative
Reactions: Rogue52

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
xByII.jpg

Reactions: Dr.bannedman

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
Yes, but he'd have to have something to offer Cael besides "This is your alma mater", and "Our singlets look way better than what you've got now", don't you think? What could he offer him that he doesn't have at Penn State?
...maybe a chance to PROVE he really is the best coach in the nation. Yeah...you can do it out there, but what about at ISU? Come back to do something you didn't accomplish while you were here.

That would be my pitch...and I'm sure it wouldn't work.

Reactions: matclone

NYWRESTLER94

Oct 14, 2015
...maybe a chance to PROVE he really is the best coach in the nation. Yeah...you can do it out there, but what about at ISU? Come back to do something you didn't accomplish while you were here.

That would be my pitch...and I'm sure it wouldn't work.
It's worked out in other sports before ;)

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
You're a complete idiot if you think the Iowa State program is a dumpster fire

It isn't? Fooled me. Yes, we have some decent recruits coming in, if they stick with us, but outside of that this program is in bad shape.

• Disagree
Reactions: Judoka

Let's Go State

Nov 6, 2007
West Coast (of Iowa)

Agree - When Cael writes a book I don't want to see "I really felt drawn to return to Iowa State and complete what I started there but they never called so I figured I burned that bridge..."

I do believe that JP has learned a lot in hiring coaches, good and bad - he's better at seeking input and has a lot of contacts. I just hope through that process that he can better realize the value of the product that is sitting in his wheelhouse.

I was really hoping Jackson could make something great happen - but I had my doubts as did many others that I knew.

The comments on Keith Massey above caught my attention - I have a ton of respect for that guy. If you get a young 'brand name' wrestler as HC - he's the type of guy you want on your staff to coach the coach and garner some respect for what you're building.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
They do wrestle West Virginia today and he is at West Virginia. Not sure if you can read much more into it. But speculation is fun