Coaches and Recruiting

DBQR4CY

Jun 7, 2013
Ankeny(By way of Dubuque)
Over the past two weeks ISU has been getting it done for the most part on the recruiting trail. In all that news Coach K, CPR, and Wally have had their names all over the place as they are hitting the recruiting trail hard. I think Sturdy's name has come up at least once. But those three are the coaches we keep hearing about (yes, I know there is Day as well). To take a page out of Duffer's play book, we have 1 D-lineman committed for next year. I know the D-line is close to set for starters next year, but another recruit or two wouldn't hurt given another DT has decided that his football life is over (that's perfectly fine with me, there's more to life). ISU has now lost two DT's in less than a year and this is a group coached by Shane Burnham. I have yet to see his name anywhere on the recruiting trail or any questions as to why at a great position of need, are guys leaving the program? Just thought I would post this and see what you guys thought about this.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Over the past two weeks ISU has been getting it done for the most part on the recruiting trail. In all that news Coach K, CPR, and Wally have had their names all over the place as they are hitting the recruiting trail hard. I think Sturdy's name has come up at least once. But those three are the coaches we keep hearing about (yes, I know there is Day as well). To take a page out of Duffer's play book, we have 1 D-lineman committed for next year. I know the D-line is close to set for starters next year, but another recruit or two wouldn't hurt given another DT has decided that his football life is over (that's perfectly fine with me, there's more to life). ISU has now lost two DT's in less than a year and this is a group coached by Shane Burnham. I have yet to see his name anywhere on the recruiting trail or any questions as to why at a great position of need, are guys leaving the program? Just thought I would post this and see what you guys thought about this.

You may not see his name but he is the man in Florida.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Haven't heard his name a lot over the last couple weeks, but I did hear his name when he pulled in Allen Lazard, Jake Campos, Justin Madison, Darius White, Quenton Bundrage, Albert Gary, and Jeremiah George, just to name a few. He's been arguably our best and most solid recruiter under Rhoads.

As far as guys leaving the program it happens. It happened a lot at linebacker too. Some of it may be coaching, but some of it doesn't require much of an explanation. Shane is a pretty good football coach who simply hasn't had a ton to work with in the middle.

DBQR4CY

Jun 7, 2013
Can we end this thread now?

That's fine with me. I'm pretty new to reading CF and posting. I've been a fan of ISU since 2002 and only in the last year or two has my interest grown to dig deeper and find out more about the other coaches in the program. That's a great list of recruits mentioned above, and yes its not an easy position to coach (O-line is the most difficult IMO). I know guys leave the program from time to time as well. Just wasn't hearing his name much lately and was curious as to why with the lack of D-linemen in the current class.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
It could be you havent heard his name much because he might not be as tuned into the JUCO and he is working on 2015 instead. everyone has a role.

theCyBooty

Sep 7, 2012
That's fine with me. I'm pretty new to reading CF and posting. I've been a fan of ISU since 2002 and only in the last year or two has my interest grown to dig deeper and find out more about the other coaches in the program. That's a great list of recruits mentioned above, and yes its not an easy position to coach (O-line is the most difficult IMO). I know guys leave the program from time to time as well. Just wasn't hearing his name much lately and was curious as to why with the lack of D-linemen in the current class.

Coaches recruit by region, not position group.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

I wouldn't worry. Football recruiting is about impossible to follow unless you obsess over it.

DBQR4CY

Jun 7, 2013
Thanks, this is all good info to know! And thanks for not raking me over the coals the way a few did when I brought up ESPNU broadcasts for Men's Basketball, lol. I should take up the offer from the guys to send me $5 a month to add ESPNU, might get half of my Direct TV bill paid for!

drednot57

Apr 26, 2010
Nevada, IA
I remember at one time, ISU used to recruit JUCOs in the southeast, particularly Florida and Georgia, but that was ages ago when Johnny Majors and Earle Bruce were our head coaches.