Chipmunks! Rabbits! War!

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Rascally rabbits are eating my hostas again. The neighborhood appears to be filled with them. Since I do not have a killing machine like Willow the rabbit killer cat I set out a Havahart trap. When getting my bait (corn) I found that the those cute little chipmunks had gotten into the garage and made a mess of things. They have to go (probably what I heard the other day in the garage roof/living room floor). Grr! Built a decidedly non-PETA compliant drowning bucket that’s baited with peanut butter and black sunflower seed. They are cute but in the house is off limits and just TOO much. This would be SO much easier if I could borrow Willow for a week.

BTW, the neighborhood is too urban to go full Jesse.

mantuary_jesse_ventura_predator.jpg

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lYm0c7gYyU&feature=player_detailpage]Caddy Shack Gopher Scene - YouTube[/ame]

I envision you like this.

Wx4Cy

May 22, 2007
West Des Moines
We had a chipmunk chew through a wiring harness on our van. It was on top of the gas tank and cost $400 to fix.

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
My brittany caught her 2nd mole of the season this morning. Current standings:
  1. brittany = 2
  2. spear traps = 0
  3. poison peanuts = 0
  4. moles = -2

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
Sounds like a job for the Turtle Man. YE YE YE YE YE YE YU ...Live action!

images

CYlent Bob

Aug 7, 2006
The Winterset Metroplex
At least you have pests you can eradicate. My wife's garden got demolished Friday night/ Saturday morning when the cattle got out. They made a beeline for the garden because it was the ONE green thing on the farm (other than the trees), and they ate ALL our sweetcorn. They didn't eat many of the beans though, so it's better than last year when sheep got out and ate our whole damn garden down to the ground. It was so thoroughly cropped down that I envisioned one of the sheep "borrowing" an angle grinder from the shop so that they could shave the stalks right down into the dirt.

Not that it bothers me THAT much, just that I've gotta listen to the complaints.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
We had a chipmunk chew through a wiring harness on our van. It was on top of the gas tank and cost $400 to fix.

Yikes, I have two Porsches in the garage (not super spendy ones but they are my babies) so this inspires me to keep after them. Mice got into the old 924S two winters ago but they were just stockpiling mouse poison I put out. I think they all died before they could mess with the car more.

BTW, I am an ace since I have six confirmed kills today but am still seeing more chippers in the garden.

reignofthetiger

Apr 24, 2010
Carmel, IN
Rascally rabbits are eating my hostas again. The neighborhood appears to be filled with them. Since I do not have a killing machine like Willow the rabbit killer cat I set out a Havahart trap. When getting my bait (corn) I found that the those cute little chipmunks had gotten into the garage and made a mess of things. They have to go (probably what I heard the other day in the garage roof/living room floor). Grr! Built a decidedly non-PETA compliant drowning bucket that’s baited with peanut butter and black sunflower seed. They are cute but in the house is off limits and just TOO much. This would be SO much easier if I could borrow Willow for a week.

Water bucket murder works great, I had to do it last summer and I got 4 in one afternoon. Never saw any others ever again.

As far as rabbits eating hostas, sprinkle blood meal around them. Works great! Fertilizes and the vermin hate the scent. Remember to reapply frequently.

CYlent Bob

Aug 7, 2006
The Winterset Metroplex
I've heard both the "blood & hair" solutions, and I think they would work. The only problem would be that animals would get desensitized to the scent after awhile and go into the garden anyway. They wouldn't work as a single solution, but they should work well in combination with eternal vigilance & Crosman/Benjamin/Daisy vengeance.

Naughtius

Oct 27, 2010
Central IA
At least you have pests you can eradicate. My wife's garden got demolished Friday night/ Saturday morning when the cattle got out. They made a beeline for the garden because it was the ONE green thing on the farm (other than the trees), and they ate ALL our sweetcorn. They didn't eat many of the beans though, so it's better than last year when sheep got out and ate our whole damn garden down to the ground. It was so thoroughly cropped down that I envisioned one of the sheep "borrowing" an angle grinder from the shop so that they could shave the stalks right down into the dirt.

Not that it bothers me THAT much, just that I've gotta listen to the complaints.

I'm puzzled by your post. Cattle's good huntin'. Me and some buddies are heading up to Wisconsin to get our limit in October.

Now some of you are prolly saying "Where's the sport in this?" It's true. Cattle aren't exactly a match for a good scoped rifle. So we even the odds a little bit: Ball peen hammer!

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I hear planting some marigolds around them will keep rabbits (and deer) away.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Yikes, I have two Porsches in the garage (not super spendy ones but they are my babies) so this inspires me to keep after them. Mice got into the old 924S two winters ago but they were just stockpiling mouse poison I put out. I think they all died before they could mess with the car more.

QUOTE]

Some mice built nest in lawn mower engine over winter. About the end of April I had my son put in fresh battery but told him not to try to start it as I wanted to be there. Two hours later it was on fire as there must have been a short near mouse nest.

Of coarse it was sitting inside a machine shed next to a seldom used truck that would not start. I had to push mower outside with flames coming out from under the hood. You know all that oil soaked grass that accumulates around the bottom of your engine? That burns very well!!

Bad new: mower =total loss
Good News = new mower

leroycyclone

Jan 2, 2010
Boulder, CO
I am half way to being an ace. Three confirmed kills (chipmunks) before lunch.

My neighbors are not opposed to eradication methods that get the job done.

Simple rat traps without bait strategically placed along the house catch chipmunks all summer long.

The rabbits bit the dust once they started eating the hostas, but only specific varieties of hostas, picky little bas......

Friends use the bucket with great success on chipmunks.

I tried a havahart trap on rabbits but wasn't happy with the success rate.

I didn't like to use bait on the rat traps for fear that I'd catch birds.

I now know that others have the same critter problems. Where did those horrific chipmunks come from?

CyOps

Jul 12, 2010
Lincoln
The chipmunks were a new issue for me this year. I'm still finding acorns hidden away in my garage. The death bucket was working well on them until the racoons found it. I think I'll just keep feeding out the racoons until racoon season.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
The chipmunks were a new issue for me this year. I'm still finding acorns hidden away in my garage. The death bucket was working well on them until the racoons found it. I think I'll just keep feeding out the racoons until racoon season.

I am shutting down the Natures Way Chipmunk Population Manager or “NWCPM” (aka death bucket) till the weekend. I have eight less of the little rodents. I’ll watch over the week and see if that is the sum of those actually living under my porch and deck.

Reactions: SwirlingFloater

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I am shutting down the Natures Way Chipmunk Population Manager or “NWCPMâ€￾ (aka death bucket) till the weekend. I have eight less of the little rodents. I’ll watch over the week and see if that is the sum of those actually living under my porch and deck.

Just wondering -- where do you empty the bucket?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Just wondering -- where do you empty the bucket?

Assuming you mean what do you do with the chipmunk cadavers? Don’t let the dead chippers build up too much, it can get stinky and the if too many are in the bucket they can avoid drowning by standing on the dead comrades. I use some old grill tongs to fish them out and then toss them into sealed plastic bags and freeze them until garbage day. I don’t have a good spot for digging holes to toss them in. The water and seeds got dumped in the yard. The water got sort of stinky, dead chipmunk stinky, but the squirrels ate the seeds after a couple of days. Apparently the smell of dead chippers isn’t something but bothers squirrels.

Most of my postings are only semi-serious (probably obvious) but on a serious safety note, don’t ever have open buckets with water in them if you have toddlers around. Toddlers have tragically drowned in five gallon buckets.

Last edited:

Help Support Us

Become a patron