Check Engine Light on

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
The identity of DaddyMac has been revealed after his pimping of Aamco....

Steve%20Deace.jpg
:jimlad:

Oh, if you could only grasp how far off you are with that idea. :wink:

I haven't been there in a while, but after getting hit for a $80 bill for a rotation and oil change at Smart Honda last time around, I might be soon.

I'll have to tell them I'm there in spite of their affiliation with Deace. (got no problems with Jon)

But my experience there (the one on Hickman) was good. I had some coolant leaking off my Dakota. Stew Hansen wanted to get me for a while new water pump workover - and you know how expensive that is. I took it to Aamco as their quote came in substantially cheaper. Later on they called me to say that the only problem with my thermostat seal was worn out. They replace it and the thermostat while in there, and saved me hundreds.

I wouldn't have known the diff if they had just ran me for the pump anyway. I find that kind of honesty rather rare in the auto business.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I always make sure to hear at least 3 clicks when I tighten my gas cap. I've also heard that it's not good to overfill. Once it stops the first time don't try to keep topping it off.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
The loose gas cap is very common trouble light problem. Always try to put the gas carpo back on for a trouble light. This happened top me three times on a GM pickup so I knew what to do.

yeah - $50 lesson learned.

Since then, I've learned the power of Google in tracking down issues with your car.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
The first thing I would do is take it to a parts store and have them scan it for free. O'Reilly's/Advance Auto Parts will do it.

Like someone else mentioned, look up the codes on the internet and go from there. Sometimes (depending on the vehicle and it's age) the light is coming on for something minute and not worth fixing. Other times it is important.

Don't ever pay to have it scanned.

JY07

Aug 20, 2009
DSM
You must not listen to Miller & Deace....AAMCO does it for free :biglaugh:

I went to the aamco on douglas in des moines a year or so ago to have my transmission rebuilt: worst experience i've ever had with needing a car repaired

they took twice as long as they said they would to do it (costing me $$ w/ the rental car), and after they couldn't figure out why the new transmission was shifting so hard, they just gave up and said 'this is how it's supposed to be'.

abcguyks

Apr 11, 2006
Olathe
If the gas cap trick doesn't work, it is most likely an oxygen sensor gone bad. Costs about $100 to $150 to fix.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
I called O'Reilly's in Ankeny and they will let me use their scanner for free. I did check the gas cap first because I have heard of that. Its my wife's van and she drives my 2 little girls around with it so I'd rather they didn't get stranded somewhere.

cycloneace55

Nov 22, 2006
Gardena, CA
I have my own code reader (Scan guage 2). It has come in handy a number of times as I can verify if a mechanic is trying to pull a fast one.

kilgore_trout

Nov 10, 2006
Madison, WI
The loose gas cap thing got me on my last trip back to Iowa. My mechanic said it should shut off by itself after restarting the engine a few times - it did. It's nice to have an honest mechanic.