Chase Flack Dies

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I think he had just gotten back from climbing Mt. Everest a couple of weeks ago to.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
I think he had just gotten back from climbing Mt. Everest a couple of weeks ago to.
I believe he climbed to the Mt Everest Base Camp and not the summit. Not taking away from him because it would be cool just to get to base camp.

Im just glad I was 30 minutes behind him on Saturday as my buddy was near him when it happened. He called me while I was still running and told me it wasnt good.

• Agree
Reactions: Tacoclone

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Hate to hear this as I know running a long race is such an accomplishment and takes a lot of dedication. Also sucks when you have no idea why.

However, sounds like this guy lived life like none other. Awesome inspiration for me to get off my butt more.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneVet

crawfy54

Dec 28, 2006
Ames, Iowa
This is horrible news. I'm no fitness fanatic, but at some point can you overdo it? Running a marathon only two weeks after being at Everest base camp seems pretty quick to me. I wonder if the high altitude contributed to this.
I hope there will be an answer soon.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
This is horrible news. I'm no fitness fanatic, but at some point can you overdo it? Running a marathon only two weeks after being at Everest base camp seems pretty quick to me. I wonder if the high altitude contributed to this.
It wasn't a marathon but your question is still valid and one I was thinking about too.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
There almost has to be some undiagnosed medical condition that led to this. Running a half isn't easy but no way he just drops dead like that without something like that. Mr. Hoiberg was a pro athlete for years and had no idea his heart was a ticking time bomb.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Gotta think that it had something to do with it. Like the Bends but slow motion?

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Gotta think that it had something to do with it. Like the Bends but slow motion?
Certainly nothing like the bends. That doesnt work that way. I guess it could have to do with the altitude change, but a quick Google search shows they run a marathon at base camp on Everest. Generally things get harder on your body as you go up in altitude, not down. Elite distance runners train at altitude to make it easier to run at lower altitudes.

Help Support Us

Become a patron