Charles Gabus Ford, the worst customer service ever !

cyfreddy

Oct 15, 2006
I went and test drove a 2006 Pontiac Vibe at Charles Gabus Ford today, when I test drove the car it pulled to the right. I had them pull up the Car Fax and it had been leased and through the auto auction twice. It also had one owner for a year. I told them I was considering trading in my truck for the car, so the manager checked it out, and I sit down with the salemen to discuss figures, when he told me the figures, I told him I would have to think about it, and he through a hissy fit, and told me I had wasted his time, and that I was never going to consider buying the car from them. That must be why four guys were standing around smoking cigs. What a jerk, that is the last time I will ever go to Charles Gabus Ford! I have heard that Charles Gabus also owns Toyota of Des Moines, it is funny that is where I have had my best offer so far, but I have a bitter taste in my mouth, if Gabus owns Toyota.

I hate looking for vechiles, about as bad as looking for houses !

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
That's lame, you'd never say that to a customer. I wonder just how good of a salesman he really is. I think you almost have to be a better saleman selling used cars than new because at least you know you are getting a new car with nothing wrong with it compared to a used one that you could drive off the lot with and it die on you a mile down the road.

I've never sold cars but there are always those people that come in and just look all the time but 1 day that person will buy from you and if you didn't accomodate them all those times they were "just looking" they likely aren't going to buy from you.

I just bought a new car last year from Karl's and was more than impressed with the service I still get today from them. I even had to switch salesmen in the middle of it because the guy I ordered my car left before my car arrived on the lot.

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
Don't ever buy a vehicle from John's Auto Sales. Found a problem with my truck 2 month after I bought it; the truck should never had been sold with this problem and there is no way they didn't know about it. I spotted the problem when I slid under to change the oil; actually the first thing I saw. Called them and the guy said they wouldn't do anything about it.

clones26

Nov 8, 2006
Urbandale
Saturn of Des Moines also has great service. I saw my salesman for about a total of 40 minutes and he remembers my name and my wifes. He asks us how our daughter is doing and asks about the upcoming Cyclone season. I know as a salesman you are supposed to build rapport, but I had a similar poor experience at Nissan.

clones26

Nov 8, 2006
Urbandale
Don't ever buy a vehicle from John's Auto Sales. Found a problem with my truck 2 month after I bought it; the truck should never had been sold with this problem and there is no way they didn't know about it. I spotted the problem when I slid under to change the oil; actually the first thing I saw. Called them and the guy said they wouldn't do anything about it.

I ditto this situation, my buddy bought a truck from there a month ago and his transmission went out this week.

arganbright2

Aug 6, 2006
Gabus does suck!!!!!! I remember being 16 and buying my first vehicle. I went down there with my brother (who is a couple years older than me) to look at a truck. I found one that I liked and actually wanted my brother to test drive it for me. The salesman made a joke about how "I'm not going to trade baseball cards for a vehicle." He then told us to "come back some other time with your parents."

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I had a similar situation. I was buying my truck and was looking for a specific color. Turns out the one dealer was listed twice in the Yellow pages. Once under Arlington Heights Ford and the other under The owners Name. So, I happened to call them twice. I got two different salesmen. I got a call back from the first salesman, completely yelling at me. Telling me how I just screwed him. How could I expect him to have to share his commission now? What, I wasn't happy with his speed he was getting back to me? He kept telling me how upset he was that I went behind his back and completely screwed him on this deal. All the while I was trying to tell him of the mistake and how it happened, yet, he wouldn't let me talk. So, after 5 minutes, literally, of listening to his yappping. I told him, "That's fine, if it's such a chore for you and so disappointing, I'll make sure I take my money to a different dealership."

None the less, I bought the truck that night. And drove it over to AH Ford and asked for that salesman. When he came out, I said, "See what could have happened had you not been an ***?" And left.

Amazingly, that was the second run in I'd had there with a salesman. It's the only dealership I haven't had people bending over backwards to sell me a car. I suppose it's a pretty crappy job though. Eventually, if you feel you've lost the customer, some guys just lose it. Just think though, if the owner finds out, I doubt he'll even be selling used cars.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I was looking at hybrid SUVs about two months ago. I looked at a Ford Escape at Stivers in Waukee and also a Toyota Highlander from Toyota of Des Moines.

The dealer from Toyota was terrible. My gf and I went for a test drive with him and once he found out we were just starting to look at cars his attitude really changed. He started talking about how much money he makes, how he drives a lexus, about his gf, etc. etc. He was really bashing Ford products too. Which, to me, if you have to sit and bash the competitor then you must be trying to draw attention from your product. Had I been interested in buying that day, I would've asked to talk to another salesman.

wantapet

Apr 11, 2006
Johnston, Ia
I will add to the do not buy list

Car City... Got screwed bad.

It's owned by one of the Moyers, I think it's Karl Moyer's (Karl Chevrolet) nephew. Either way I will never buy from a Moyer again.

Car City
Karl Chevrolet
Hawkeye Motors

I believe all of these are owned by them. I heard Karl a decent guy, but the rest is organized crime if you ask me.

This purchase was done when I was 20, I was young and have learned I will always buy from the bigger dealers. I don't think they usually prey on people as much.

Last edited:

Cy Heavy

Aug 29, 2006
Ankeny
I was looking at hybrid SUVs about two months ago. I looked at a Ford Escape at Stivers in Waukee and also a Toyota Highlander from Toyota of Des Moines.

The dealer from Toyota was terrible. My gf and I went for a test drive with him and once he found out we were just starting to look at cars his attitude really changed. He started talking about how much money he makes, how he drives a lexus, about his gf, etc. etc. He was really bashing Ford products too. Which, to me, if you have to sit and bash the competitor then you must be trying to draw attention from your product. Had I been interested in buying that day, I would've asked to talk to another salesman.

Strange. We bought from Toyota of DSM last fall and the guy we worked with was great-no pressure at all. I say no pressure b/c we intially met him in March for a test drive but didn't end up buying the car until August after a very extensive search.

kralon20

Apr 11, 2006
I stopped at Toyota of Des Moines in 2001 and asked about a car they had on the lot. The salesman told me I would have to put down a deposit before he would discuss price with me. So I said "goodnight" and bought a Camry from the Toyota dealer in Ft. Dodge.

A couple of other Toyota dealers I visited tried to sell me cars they had on their lot rather than one w/ the features I wanted. They were also left in the dust.

Car shopping absolutely sucks.

The Camry is a great car--135,000 miles and going strong. :yes:

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I will add to the do not buy list

Car City... Got screwed bad.

It's owned by one of the Moyers, I think it's Karl Moyer's (Karl Chevrolet) nephew. Either way I will never buy from a Moyer again.

Car City
Karl Chevrolet
Hawkeye Motors

I believe all of these are owned by them. I heard Karl a decent guy, but the rest is organized crime if you ask me.

This purchase was done when I was 20, I was young and have learned I will always buy from the bigger dealers. I don't think they usually prey on people as much.

There is a reason it is called Karl Chevrolet and not Moyer Chevrolet.

Older Des Moines/Ankeny area residents are more aware of the chopshops his relatives used to run...

One of the things they were known (or at least rumored to) take brand new engines out of cars they were selling, use them for racing, then put them back in the car and sell it as new. FWIW, I have heard this from more than one credible sources.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I had 2 good experiences within the last 8 months. My gf bought a used car from Pat Clemens in Boone and it was by far the best experience either one of us have ever had. There was absolutely no pressure and they told us upfront that the sale price listed on the car was the lowest they could go and there was no haggling.

Mine was at DM Chrysler and while the sales guy wasn't the most friendly, it too was a "no haggle" price.

I will never do the price haggling again.

wantapet

Apr 11, 2006
Johnston, Ia
There is a reason it is called Karl Chevrolet and not Moyer Chevrolet.

Older Des Moines/Ankeny area residents are more aware of the chopshops his relatives used to run...

One of the things they were known (or at least rumored to) take brand new engines out of cars they were selling, use them for racing, then put them back in the car and sell it as new. FWIW, I have heard this from more than one credible sources.

That rumor and many more for sure. I found out that the Iowa Attorney General knows the Moyers very well also :smile:

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Never shopped at Gabus and never will. I don't know a single person that has bought a car there, had it serviced and subsequently had anything good to say about them.

However, we've bought 3 vehicles from Hummel's Nissan and have yet to have anything remotely close to a negative experience.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Gabus owns a lot of them. He also owns the DM Chrysler right across the street.

I only buy from dealers that sell new cars. I would never think about buying at a place like Car City even though they have some pretty sweet looking cars with 22"'s :).

I have a few favorites when it comes to car salesman (See Bart at Hummels) but in the end it always comes down to the car and the price. I do research before I go and buy the car, I know what I'm willing to pay (I don't tell them), after driving the car I tell them that they have one shot to give me there best price. The usually come back with a price a little higher than what I want to pay. I get up, thank them for the tes drive and start walking for the door. At this point they usually say "What can we do to get your business today". I usually say something like "Well Honda of Ames is offering me a $$$$ trade. If you can beat that by offer than I'll buy it from you. If it's one cent more I'll buy it from them". I'd say 70% of the time this works. If I'm dealing with with a sales guy that I now pretty well then I don't have to do all that crap. I know that they are going to make a profit off me so I don't feel bad about negotiating. You just have to take control and know that you can walk at anytime.

cmoneyr

Nov 8, 2006
Ames, Born and Raised
I had 2 good experiences within the last 8 months. My gf bought a used car from Pat Clemens in Boone and it was by far the best experience either one of us have ever had. There was absolutely no pressure and they told us upfront that the sale price listed on the car was the lowest they could go and there was no haggling.

Mine was at DM Chrysler and while the sales guy wasn't the most friendly, it too was a "no haggle" price.

I will never do the price haggling again.
No haggle price is a crock, they can always haggle...always.