Champagne-Travel

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Just got back a few weeks ago from a European trip. Spent 5 days in southern France, a few days in Reims, and a few days in Amsterdam. I had done a lot of research on the southern piece of France but didn't know anything about Reims. My wife likes Champagne (I don't) so I thought we should go where all Champagne is made. Learned some interesting things I thought I would share.

The champagne bottles are kept in caves 60-100 feet below ground level. In the town of Reims there are over 150 miles of these caves. We visited a Taittinger cave which holds around 2 million bottles. They have another automated cave that holds something like 22 million. Unlike wine, bottles are not stored for more than 10 years. During WW2, residents sometimes lived in these caves.
XFZogqJ.jpg

uJcHvZa.jpg

Also went to a small producer. Maybe it was the environment but the champagne didn't taste bad.

Also checked out the Museum of Surrender where the Nazi's officially surrendered. This room was left exactly the same, minus the statues, from 1945.

JTC166W.jpg

If there is any interest, I also have some info/pics on southern France, which has some of the best roman architecture in the world.

cyclonesurveyor

Jan 26, 2009
Fort Collins, CO
That's awesome! I enjoy your beer / travel posts. Can't wait to visit France, hopefully next summer. We just moved to Belfast this summer due to my wife's job, but with her schedule we haven't had a chance to travel outside of Northern Ireland.

Have you been to Edinbourgh and Glasgow, Scotland? Heading there in a couple of weeks.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
That's awesome! I enjoy your beer / travel posts. Can't wait to visit France, hopefully next summer. We just moved to Belfast this summer due to my wife's job, but with her schedule we haven't had a chance to travel outside of Northern Ireland.

Have you been to Edinbourgh and Glasgow, Scotland? Heading there in a couple of weeks.

No, the closest I've been has been to the western side of Ireland. Northern Ireland is definitely on my bucket list along with Scotland. Although after watching the last anthony bourdain show, northern Spain is also a place I may be interested in visiting.

Last edited:

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
Very nice, thank you for sharing! Southern France is a really interesting and beautiful place.

Just one slight correction, the vast majority of wine (both still and sparkling/champagne) is consumed within 10 years of being bottled and should be. However, there are bottles of champagne that will improve and should be cellared for decades.

Reactions: dmclone

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Excuse me while I digress.

WWII found my father in France taking refuge for days in a wine cellar. There was a lot of Champagne too. He had fond memories of only those few days "underground" with his command even though he could not remember much.

For my niece's wedding my brother made a special trip to France to bring back real Champagne to celebrate the event with special toasts to my then deceased Father.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Just one slight correction, the vast majority of wine (both still and sparkling/champagne) is consumed within 10 years of being bottled and should be. However, there are bottles of champagne that will improve and should be cellared for decades.

You're right, I probably missed that piece. I heard a lot in those few hours and most went right over my head.

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
You're right, I probably missed that piece. I heard a lot in those few hours and most went right over my head.
No problem at all, I could probably talk about wine for hours, 99% of which nobody would care to hear about.

Thanks for posting the pictures, enjoyed seeing them.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
My co-worker's wife's best friend married into a Champagne family. He and his wife have gone over several times during harvest to help and share in the festivities. The champagne is fantastic, but alas my wife gets inexplicable headaches from even a little champagne.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
In southern France we visited places like Avignon, Nimes, Arles, Gordes, Roussillon, Les Baux,etc.

Palace of the Popes-Avignon was home to the Pope during the 14th century.
HIC1SeT.jpg

C8l9vpC.jpg

gsyuAbL.jpg

Abbaye Notre-Dame de Sénanque-About a month or so too late to see the lavender fields
gFlVLBT.jpg

Pont Du Gard-Roman aqueduct
7ExIQZe.jpg

Mont Ventoux-Couldn't figure out why around every corner there was another bike. After a little research realized that is was considered a difficult climb the 15 times it was part of the Tour De France. Hell it was a difficult climb for the Fiat 500 I was driving.

WPfTzU2.jpg

Not my pic
140608_Mont-Ventoux-04.jpg

NMpcQgE.jpg

No clue why France has a Haribo museum but what the hell. Good place to stop and fill up with some $8/gallon gas :( and gummy bears.
BuG19Ce.jpg

Marshmallow Soap?
Ctrnrt9.jpg

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
In southern France we visited places like Avignon, Nimes, Arles, Gordes, Roussillon, Les Baux,etc.

Palace of the Popes-Avignon was home to the Pope during the 14th century.
HIC1SeT.jpg

C8l9vpC.jpg

Mont Ventoux-Couldn't figure out why around every corner there was another bike. After a little research realized that is was considered a difficult climb the 15 times it was part of the Tour De France.

WPfTzU2.jpg

Not my pic
140608_Mont-Ventoux-04.jpg

Tom Simpson, the British team leader in 1967 thought the climb was pretty difficult.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Excuse me while I digress.

WWII found my father in France taking refuge for days in a wine cellar. There was a lot of Champagne too. He had fond memories of only those few days "underground" with his command even though he could not remember much.

For my niece's wedding my brother made a special trip to France to bring back real Champagne to celebrate the event with special toasts to my then deceased Father.

My father had some stories about "liberating" wine and such. One he did not remember fondly was after drinking too much calvados in Normandy. So, of course, we bought some when visiting Normandy and the D-Day beaches with him in 1994. :)

Reactions: StClone

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Thread is giving me serious travel envy. :rolleyes: Travel planning is challenging as a senior who no longer has a travel mate.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Awesome pictures. I'm not a huge wine guy but I love touring wineries no matter where I am, Europe or Texas. The French ones look fascinating!

Help Support Us

Become a patron