CCL 7/10

uthaman

Oct 18, 2006
Des Moines
Made it out to Valley Southwoods for the first time tonight to catch a little hoops action. Random thoughts:

Tavon Sledge is DAMN quick! He was really dominating a large part of his game. But, second half he really wore down. His team was down to 5 players after Ejim got tossed with 2 technicals. More on that in a sec. Tavon even had a really impressive dunk! For a guy listed at 5-9 he gets up in the air and does so quickly.

Ejim - Got tossed early with his team up 20. Clyburn and Bookers team then slowly came back before winning in overtime. The only thing I have to say is that the ref should have his whistle removed permanently. The first T might be deserved. But don't give the guy two. A lot of people came out to see Melvin play tonight.

Clyburn - Dude is a player. Silky smooth. He also wore down Sledge by being VERY physical with the kid. Can't wait to see him after a year under Fred.

Booker - Dude hustled and played some defense. Especially as his team crawled back from a 20+ point second half deficit. Since I think this team will have plenty of scoring options his role will probably be to play defense, rebound and get garbage points.

White - Listed at 6-8 and 250. He looks a little shorter than 6-8, and there is no way he is 250, more like 270. Reminds one SO much of Fizer. The way he handles the ball on the perimeter, and the way he powers his way toward the rim. Had to remind myself he is only going into his first year of play. Could easily envision 15 ppg and maybe 7 or 8 boards. Then the next year even more. He is a special talent.

Christopherson - Had to leave 10 minutes into his game, but he had already made a butt load of shots. This summer league seems taylor made for a guy who can shoot lights out and hustles everywhere.

Allen, Babb, McGee, Lucious, Bubu - Nothing really stood out to me about these guys except that all of them seemed to be able to shoot the 3. Yeah, that sucks... LOL I just kept thinking how this team has lots of different options when playing 3 guards. Possibilities!

One other thing... How did the BCS schools miss on Rayvonte Rice of Drake? That kid can PLAY! Reminds me of a bigger stronger Stinson.

ISUCyclone06

Oct 31, 2010
Greensboro, NC
Made it out to Valley Southwoods for the first time tonight to catch a little hoops action. Random thoughts:

Tavon Sledge is DAMN quick! He was really dominating a large part of his game. But, second half he really wore down. His team was down to 5 players after Ejim got tossed with 2 technicals. More on that in a sec. Tavon even had a really impressive dunk! For a guy listed at 5-9 he gets up in the air and does so quickly.

Ejim - Got tossed early with his team up 20. Clyburn and Bookers team then slowly came back before winning in overtime. The only thing I have to say is that the ref should have his whistle removed permanently. The first T might be deserved. But don't give the guy two. A lot of people came out to see Melvin play tonight.

Clyburn - Dude is a player. Silky smooth. He also wore down Sledge by being VERY physical with the kid. Can't wait to see him after a year under Fred.

Booker - Dude hustled and played some defense. Especially as his team crawled back from a 20+ point second half deficit. Since I think this team will have plenty of scoring options his role will probably be to play defense, rebound and get garbage points.

White - Listed at 6-8 and 250. He looks a little shorter than 6-8, and there is no way he is 250, more like 270. Reminds one SO much of Fizer. The way he handles the ball on the perimeter, and the way he powers his way toward the rim. Had to remind myself he is only going into his first year of play. Could easily envision 15 ppg and maybe 7 or 8 boards. Then the next year even more. He is a special talent.

Christopherson - Had to leave 10 minutes into his game, but he had already made a butt load of shots. This summer league seems taylor made for a guy who can shoot lights out and hustles everywhere.

Allen, Babb, McGee, Lucious, Bubu - Nothing really stood out to me about these guys except that all of them seemed to be able to shoot the 3. Yeah, that sucks... LOL I just kept thinking how this team has lots of different options when playing 3 guards. Possibilities!

One other thing... How did the BCS schools miss on Rayvonte Rice of Drake? That kid can PLAY! Reminds me of a bigger stronger Stinson.

Great to hear, I havent made a CCL game this year. Rice's size made him a tweener and he preferred to play guard, thus leaving him little options. I really thought he would transfer to BCS team after this year, but he's sticking it out. I love watching him play and will continue to follow him these next couple years.

Also I like hearing about Ejim getting tossed. I think he needs more of that attitude, and good to see he is into the game even though it's the CCL.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Ejim actually only had one technical but that's all it takes to get kicked out in the CCL. It was a terrible call though, all he did was so "no" after a questionable call and then the ref who didn't even make the call in the first place t'd him up.

Scott played the whole game, he sat out a decent amount of time because his team had four subs and they were winning the whole time but he never left early.

Hopefully this is only the case because its the CCL and it doesn't matter a ton, but my only concern with Royce is that he doesn't seem to have the best defensive awareness.

cyclone1975

Feb 4, 2007
Ankeny
Rice is a beast. I think he put on about 20 pounds of muscle during the offseason. He doesn't look like anyone else in the Valley.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
Sledge and Booker were really fun to watch. Sledge can get by anyone whenever he wants. Needs to work on his free throws though because he will get to the line a lot.
I liked what I saw from Booker. He was really scoring downlow which was good to see. And when he got space he would make the outside shot. Gibson was doing decent tonight scoring against Royce some in the post but then he fouled out with 17 minutes left. McGee was solid again tonight. Chris.Allen really didnt do all that much he didn't try to score as much.

Chris Babb tonight really struggled. His shot was off and everytime he made one he just had that look like finally. Towards the end the guy from thr Energy looked like he was trying to give Babb pointers which Babb probably didn't like too well. I still think Babb will be good for us. Tonight just wasn't his night.

Will Clyburn was pretty off as well. He did have a really nice windmill though.

Korie Lucious couldn't miss during the first half and went cold in the second half. The guy on the Energy was on Babb and Lucious team and he shot the ball everytime. It was pretty frusterating.

J-Diggy

Nov 30, 2007
Ejim actually only had one technical but that's all it takes to get kicked out in the CCL. It was a terrible call though, all he did was so "no" after a questionable call and then the ref who didn't even make the call in the first place t'd him up.QUOTE]

He actually said "That's B******T!". However, compared to the constant dialog that guys like White and Babb have with the officials, in many cases showing them up, it was surprising they would call it.

I thought the 5 that were left played their guts out. Pretty impressive to see that level of effort in an essentially meaningless game.

statebasketball

Jul 11, 2011
Yes Melvin did swear at the official. The ref that called it though wasn't the ref he swore at. The ref had his back to Ejim when he said what he said, but it was so loud and obvious that he got called for it. And it was more than just the one swear word that warranted the technical.

First Royce White played out of control. He did look good a lot of time this summer because he is going to work on small school guys. Hoiberg will need to get a handle on him. Last night White played the defacto point guard most of the game and made some crazy passes (some worked some didn't). In the Big 12 he needs to play his game and stop screwing around. His outside jumper is broke too... he's not Marcus Fizer.

The only player I saw with an NBA ceiling is Clyburn. At 6'7 he is a legit two that can defend very quick guards. He has NBA athleticism and a nice jumper. Since they are using the high school three point line you couldn't really see his range... but it's there.

Booker got his game together in the 2nd half and looked dominant... but it was against small school posts.

Lucious has been the best PG on the floor. Palo is looking like the 4th PG on the current squad. His minutes will go way down. There might be times to go with 2 point guards together so Sledge gets time.

In my opinion we need Clyburn to be the go to guy on this squad if we are going to have a big season this coming year.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Yes Melvin did swear at the official. The ref that called it though wasn't the ref he swore at. The ref had his back to Ejim when he said what he said, but it was so loud and obvious that he got called for it. And it was more than just the one swear word that warranted the technical.

First Royce White played out of control. He did look good a lot of time this summer because he is going to work on small school guys. Hoiberg will need to get a handle on him. Last night White played the defacto point guard most of the game and made some crazy passes (some worked some didn't). In the Big 12 he needs to play his game and stop screwing around. His outside jumper is broke too... he's not Marcus Fizer.

The only player I saw with an NBA ceiling is Clyburn. At 6'7 he is a legit two that can defend very quick guards. He has NBA athleticism and a nice jumper. Since they are using the high school three point line you couldn't really see his range... but it's there.

Booker got his game together in the 2nd half and looked dominant... but it was against small school posts.

Lucious has been the best PG on the floor. Palo is looking like the 4th PG on the current squad. His minutes will go way down. There might be times to go with 2 point guards together so Sledge gets time.

In my opinion we need Clyburn to be the go to guy on this squad if we are going to have a big season this coming year.

well that's going to be a problem, isn't it? seeing how he has to sit out a year

geburgess

Jan 19, 2010
WDM, IA

See, I was gonna say you were having a good analysis until right here. Anyone on CF who takes the time to look at CCL stats knows that Clyburn can't play next year. Makes me think you are just some damn tavernhawk coming in here and degrading our players...

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
See, I was gonna say you were having a good analysis until right here. Anyone on CF who takes the time to look at CCL stats knows that Clyburn can't play next year. Makes me think you are just some damn tavernhawk coming in here and degrading our players...

No way. We don't get obvious trolls here.

I figured the downplay on Royce White was a pretty evident tipoff, too.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

Clyburn can't play this year.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

Not going to question his bonafides, yet. I was just referring to the Clyburn comment. I can see his registration email, and he's someone that probably knows a thing or two about basketball. If he wants to reveal more than that, he can, but I won't out him.

statebasketball

Jul 11, 2011
Sorry guys I'm a coach and don't keep up on that side of basketball like you all clearly do. I thought with the coaching change they let him out... but since he already went two year to four year he must have to still sit out. Still doesn't change what I saw... Clyburn fits the NBA 2 guard spot.

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
Not going to question his bonafides, yet. I was just referring to the Clyburn comment. I can see his registration email, and he's someone that probably knows a thing or two about basketball. If he wants to reveal more than that, he can, but I won't out him.

Is it Greg McDermott?