CBB Redshirt Rule?

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
Hi all, not trying to ignite more Jaden Walker discussion, I was just curious if anyone knew the redshirt rule for CBB. A quick Google search yielded an SI article saying the NCAA was considering a change to allow six to eight games to be played and still redshirt, potentially as soon as this season?

Did that fall through? I believe Walker has played in one game. It would be great if he could redshirt, IMO.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
People should just accept that not every player is good enough or pans out. We don’t need redshirting players we need players that step up or ship out. Can’t tie up as chilly for a
player that needs to redshirt u less it’s like a
7 foot athletic monster that just strayed basketball three years ago.

• Agree
Reactions: ClonesInDallas

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
People should just accept that not every player is good enough or pans out. We don’t need redshirting players we need players that step up or ship out. Can’t tie up as chilly for a

Every team needs a scout team, which sometimes means a scholarship athlete that is redshirt worthy. No team is going to play 13 deep in a rotation. I'd rather have a good, hard working kid that fits the culture and returns vs a kid who gives up and looks to step away to get more minutes in a lower league.

Also, if Jaden Walker understands and accepts his role and then redshirts to develop and stays another year, that's great. Naz Long had a very similar year to where Jaden's year has started.

Reactions: VeloClone

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
He will transfer before he redshirts at isu.
Very well could be the case, but I thought I’d ask. I’m aware of the CBB transfer rate.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Every team needs a scout team, which sometimes means a scholarship athlete that is redshirt worthy. No team is going to play 13 deep in a rotation. I'd rather have a good, hard working kid that fits the culture and returns vs a kid who gives up and looks to step away to get more minutes in a lower league.

Also, if Jaden Walker understands and accepts his role and then redshirts to develop and stays another year, that's great. Naz Long had a very similar year to where Jaden's year has started.
TJ brought in 7 new guys, everyone of them is playing ahead of Walker. On top of that he was likely recruited over with Watson. We absolutely have to add another big. If Brockington is the only senior that doesn't return we'd be full. If we find a vet shooter he'd be a bigger need than developing Walker.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I am torn on this. It's nice to bring in players with experience thru the portal and freshmen ready to play right away. That just isn't going to happen every year, proven multiple times by Prohm in the last few years. How nice would it have been to get Dubar, Blackwell, and Walker redshirts a season ago? Other side of the same coin begs the question, if they aren't good enough to play right away, why are we bothering with them? The redshirt route has worked for Fran to a degree. The players he redshirts are usually very physically limited or have questionable at best athleticism, but some have turned into nice 4-5 year players

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
TJ brought in 7 new guys, everyone of them is playing ahead of Walker. On top of that he was likely recruited over with Watson. We absolutely have to add another big. If Brockington is the only senior that doesn't return we'd be full. If we find a vet shooter he'd be a bigger need than developing Walker.

Nevermind the below, seems I misread the rules

Scholarships used for a 5th year due to covid do not count towards the 13 scholarship limit. For example, Conditt's scholarship won't count in 2022-23

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Pat

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Not true, here's an article saying the limit in 13 again in 2022-23. Which is the same as football

That's the way I understand it too. Everyone on a team in 20-21 school year can have a extra year, but it is only "free" this season. After this season, the extra year player will count on the scholarship limit.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Scholarships used for a 5th year due to covid do not count towards the 13 scholarship limit. For example, Conditt's scholarship won't count in 2022-23

Only 2020-21 seniors got the freebie. Everyone else who takes an extra year will have it count against the limit.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron