MLB: Catcher Restrains Umpire from Charging the Mound

oskyclone

Apr 13, 2006
Altoona
The actual rule is, if a batter swings and misses at a 3rd strike, and the ball hits him in the process of swinging...he's OUT. That's the rule. The batter should have been out. The ball hit is foot and went 90 degrees to the umpire's left. How would a ball hitting the dirt do that? It was an awful call. And he has no business marching halfway to the mound. No excuse for it. None.

like I said, I haven't seen the call that started the problem, but watching a swing,catch,drop,fair or foul etc, is difficult and as a beginning umpire not all calls as easy as they look. I still want to know how the runner got to second base, because I bet that is the umpires fault. There are at least 2 field umpires that could have called a dead as well, by didn't, so it must have not been blatantly obvious. The umpire didn't think the ball hit the batter obviously and that's what they are paid to do, call what they see. Sometime they are wrong and most times they are right. I learned to play through a bad call here and there and to not complain about. Burnett complained with a blatant gesture that is far worse than yelling, because the whole stadium could see it. You show up an umpire he has every right to yell back. Yes he acted a fool but there was no restraining or charging.

The catcher probably made it worse by blocking him. If he walked 5 feet out and pointed is that okay? Ir should he just toss him because he showed up an umpire and argued a strike call? What was the umpire really supposed to do besides throw him out?

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Those Pirates announcers and the interviewer must be a bunch of morons.

Yeah. I like to believe that my homerism is not sinking in, but I was just taken back that they would be upset with the ushers at Wrigley for that. You walked down to the front row to do an interview, while standing up, and decided to drag it on, and on, and on.

Help Support Us

Become a patron