Carlton signs Australian contract

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I haven't ever been to Australia but it looks like Townsville is in a pretty decent sized metro area, right along the coast. Looks like an awesome place to spend a few years as a young professional athlete.

I spent a week or so there one summer. It's a nice area. Definitely worse places to spend your winter. Like Connecticut.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
saw a familiar name on that roster....Julie Vanloo....
She is 26 years old now! Remember how she was ready to come. Then the NCAA mess and she signed to play Pro in Europe. I think that is how we lost out on this great Danish WBB player.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
The sticks? It's a city of 250,000 at the base of the great barrier reef. I'd go there for a month or so.
Yes, I think the area itself would be awesome. I just mean that it's very far from the other population bases in Australia. They're the only pro BB team in the northern half of the country (which is effectively a continent).

IaState2021

Apr 19, 2019
I don't have time to find the article, but basically the WNBA research has shown that the WNBA growth is actually ahead of where the NBA was at this stage in terms of viewership and attendance. I think the WNBA in general has made some major wins and major mistakes. Last year, 4 of the 12 teams played in a different arena last year than where they played in 2017, and San Antonio went to Vegas. Like the WNBA, the star players are important and if more top players choose to pull a Taurasi and not play in the WNBA because of their Euro commitments, that will hurt.

I bought Chicago Sky season tickets basically because it is the only pro sport ticket I could afford in this city. 6th row half court line tickets for $25 a ticket.
WNBA viewership and attendance has decreased over the years, actually. If it weren't for the NBA subsidizing the league, the WNBA wouldn't be able to support its self.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
WNBA viewership and attendance has decreased over the years, actually. If it weren't for the NBA subsidizing the league, the WNBA wouldn't be able to support its self.

Attendance has been between 7500 and 8000 since 2010. 2018 average was down, but that was primarily due to the Liberty moving, as well as 3 other teams moving arenas.

TV ratings were good enough last year ESPN added 25% more games to its lineup.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
My own statistical analysis indicates the NBA is twice as popular as the WNBA. I've lived three miles from Target Center for the last 35 years. Been to more Timberwolves games than Lynxx but most of those were free tickets (cause the Wolves suck) so I am going by purchased tickets using Boxsters own cash American money:

Two Timberwolves games (one Freddie Hoiberg ISU night and one Monte Morris ISU night).
One Minnesota Lynx game (Alison Lacey ISU night)

:rolleyes:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
BTW, if Bridget makes the Sun's regular season roster the local alumni club will do a Bridget Carleton ISU night when the Sun plays here this summer. Ticket manager has been bugging me about it but told him we should maybe wait and see if she actually makes the roster.

Reactions: NWICY and cyclone13

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Used to have 10-packs game for couple of seasons for the Lynx (after they won their first titles) and went to the game with my son, who was probably 5 or 6. He enjoyed the atmosphere plus it was summer: no need to worry if having to go home early in order to wake up for school the next day. The tickets were cheap (the season they won the first title it was 30 bucks for one row behind the courtside seat).

It also helped that Wolves were extremely horrible then.

Would love to go back to the game if Bridget makes the roster.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
They are not essentially doing the same job. Women's basketball and Men's basketball are only similar in they have a basketball and score points. If the women want to make NBA money they should be in the NBA. I know it is not politically correct to say so but the athleticism of the NBA is light years ahead of the WNBA.

Well this is the most nonsensical comment so far. To say the men are more athletic is nuts. You’re comparing apples to oranges. Are men more capable in some areas because of genetic differences? Sure. More athletic ...wrong term.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Well this is the most nonsensical comment so far. To say the men are more athletic is nuts. You’re comparing apples to oranges. Are men more capable in some areas because of genetic differences? Sure. More athletic ...wrong term.

Oh no, let's not go down this semantic rabbit trail. I would much prefer for someone to contact Julie Vanloo to get an update on her career and her anticipation of Bridget becoming a teammate. Wonder if she has been following Iowa State in recent years.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron