Can we talk about Ohio?

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I have no idea what Coco Melon is I will assume ignorance is bliss.
Yeah, not something to mess around with unless you have kids and need to get some work done or enjoy yourself somewhere where they would otherwise be unruly.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

Cy Hard

Jan 5, 2008
Polka City
No Hunter Deckers NIL shirt being made:
I got 99 yards and a touchdown is 1, Jay-Z kind of mash up? Is this a thing with these young whippersnappers anymore?

ComCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 31, 2016
To be fair I have always had a hard time considering Ohio as midwest. I think when you look at the map some states it is hard to consider the entire state as part of the midwest. Like Ohio, if you look at it really I think only the western 3rd is part of what is midwest. Similarly the western states the western half of those states really starts to become more west than Midwest.

But when you talk to anyone from OHIO they really are adamant they are midwesterners.

to be fair, map and geography-wise... the entire "midwest" is much more "mideast". The western-most states are dead center of the US... lmao

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
to be fair, map and geography-wise... the entire "midwest" is much more "mideast". The western-most states are dead center of the US... lmao
Two other factors to consider: History and population distribution. From a history perspective, in the early westward expansion the area that is now OH, IN, MI, IL, and WI was know as the Northwest Territory (This is where Northwestern University gets its name). And as expansion continued throughout the 1800s the Rockies became the boundary to the West. So basically everything between the population centers of the East, and the Mountains became the Middle West.

Additionally, if you look at population distribution and were the center point of the US population has been located, you see that Ohio and Indiana were the actual middle point of the country for nearly a century.

Attachments

• 1663174121911.png
    1663174121911.png
    537.9 KB · Views: 14

hershy

Oct 15, 2021
So is it going to storm? I don’t think we need another lightening game……..

Headed to Ames Saturday from the recently defrosted plains of NE. Made the TCU game last year and parked in one of the grass lots. This rain going to close them down?

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Is there a more sensitive group when it comes to chances of rain than Iowans? There is a 15% chance of rain right now at gametime and less than 50% all day.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and MartyFine

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
Crazy to me that someone could say Williston, ND and Scottsbluff, NE are Midwestern but Indianapolis is not, but to each their own
When I think midwest, I think of the geographic middle and middle-west parts of the country. It's hard to be super precise because sometimes I don't think there's an obvious cultural divide at a state border.

I do agree when you start entering western Nebraska, it's sort of the door to the western frontier mountain area. Even parts of eastern Iowa like a Cedar Rapids or Davenport may have more in-common with what I consider to be the rust-belt area.

So I guess tldr, it's hard to have a super clean map, but imo, I consider the midwest and rust-belt to be two separate regions.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
That shirt needs more. I could wear that here and I'd be the only one who had any idea.
FWIW I also really prefer 2 sided T designs, which are tough to find!

So if all of SD is not midwest, where is the W half?

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
Crazy to me that someone could say Williston, ND and Scottsbluff, NE are Midwestern but Indianapolis is not, but to each their own

would people of iowa have more in common culturally with people in those towns or more in common with people in Indianapolis?