Can we talk about Ohio?

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
yes I know people from Indiana and Ohio that claim they are midwest, but I consider them rust-belt, not midwest

Reactions: cyrocksmypants

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Honestly, I'm kind of nervous that we'll come out with a super-vanilla game plan and this game will be way closer than it should be in the 4th quarter.
I have that feeling as well. Hope we don't come out flat.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
callin for some rain it looks like.

maybe a break for game

Clone95

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 13, 2019
I wouldn’t mind a close win if we’re clearly working on things and giving guys like Will McD a break. I’d like to see Sean Shaw and the TEs get a lot of targets, as I think they could be big in the red zone, where it’s easier for teams to cover X.

I think, though, the way the line and defense are playing, that a vanilla game plan will still end up in a comfortable win.

convoluteme

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 29, 2019
yes I know people from Indiana and Ohio that claim they are midwest, but I consider them rust-belt, not midwest
After living in Iowa for 25 years and Indiana for 9 I struggle to see the difference.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I wouldn’t mind a close win if we’re clearly working on things and giving guys like Will McD a break. I’d like to see Sean Shaw and the TEs get a lot of targets, as I think they could be big in the red zone, where it’s easier for teams to cover X.

I think, though, the way the line and defense are playing, that a vanilla game plan will still end up in a comfortable win.
Will doesn’t need a break, he needs a game where he can get 2 or 3 sacks to get that total moving again.

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021
Here is what I've discovered about Ohio.

Ohio U has been named the number 1 party school in the country by Playboy and number 2 party school in the country by The Princeton Review. I think we need to show them they are wrong.

It is frequently referred to as "O U didn't get into Miami"

It is known as Harvard on the Hocking. I assume in the same facetious way that Arizona State is known as the Harvard of the Southwest.

It's famous alumni include noted creeps Roger Ailes and Matt Lauer.

Evidently, many of the students can still be seen wearing cargo shorts.

"Let's get donkey later" is a common phrase uttered around campus.

One of the residence halls is haunted and sits at the center of a pentagram formed by five cemeteries.

Then we need to issue a stern payback for he Bobcats not educating Ailes and Lauer.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Not a lot. That was more of a Paul Rhoads thing.

After knocking off #4 TCU in 2017 we dropped a couple close games to West Virginia & Oklahoma State.

After knocking off #8 Oklahoma State last year- again, we lost to West Virginia.
And that WV games was weird...

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
What's Indiana then?
I used to always call Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania Kentucky and Michigan (the mitten part, not the UP) Ohio valley region. They’re not really the east coast. They’re not really the south. They’re not really the Midwest. Rust belt could work too. Indiana is just Kentucky though, and western Ohio is Indiana, and eastern Ohio and the Michigan mutt are just Pennsylvania (the UP is Minnesota).

Reactions: BCClone

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
If Penn St put up 46 pts on these guys I think we can best that.

Dekkers is better than Sean Clifford and the O line is gelling right now.
Clifford was decent against them but it was their running back Singleton that torched Ohio.

10 carries, 179 yards, 2 TD

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016

There are two questions here: which states are Midwest, if you have to say either yes or no to an entire state as a whole, or which regions are Midwestern.

I think these states are Midwestern under the first definition, but it is imprecise.

download.png

Western ND, SD, NE, KS and southern MO are not Midwestern. Southeastern OH is not Midwestern. A minority of KY is probably worthy of being called Midwestern.

Athens (where Ohio U is) is squarely in the least Midwestern part of Ohio. It's Appalachian. It has way more in common with WV, western VA/NC, eastern KY/TN than it does with the Midwest.

loyalsons4evertrue

Sep 18, 2020
This is the most confidence I've had in an Iowa State offense in I don't know how long....and Ohio's pass defense is ranked 130th out of 131 FBS teams....Dekkers and co. should put up around 500-600 yards of offense on Saturday imo....hopefully we dominate enough early on so we can get Rocco some playing time again.

I expect a good crowd. Lots of hype now following the win in IC.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
There are two questions here: which states are Midwest, if you have to say either yes or no to an entire state as a whole, or which regions are Midwestern.

I think these states are Midwestern under the first definition, but it is imprecise.

View attachment 103079

Western ND, SD, NE, KS and southern MO are not Midwestern. Southeastern OH is not Midwestern. A minority of KY is probably worthy of being called Midwestern.

my imprecise midwest hot-take:
* North Dakota
* South Dakota
* Nebraska
* Iowa
* Minnesota
* Kansas
* Most of Wisconsin
* Parts of Missouri
* Parts of Illinois
* Parts of Michigan (maybe UP)

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I fully expect us to come out with the same offensive game plan we've had the last 2 games. Sling it around early and then start running it down their throats in the 2nd half. Brock will definitely get some solid first half carries but the majority of the offense will runt through Dekkers.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
my imprecise midwest hot-take:
* North Dakota
* South Dakota
* Nebraska
* Iowa
* Minnesota
* Kansas
* Most of Wisconsin
* Parts of Missouri
* Parts of Illinois
* Parts of Michigan (maybe UP)
This is the correct answer, though I’d say all of Illinois and Wisconsin.