Can we talk about Nebraska?...

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Great article by Ivan Maisel this past weekend:

In the two decades since Osborne retired, Nebraska has won one conference championship, in 1999, and no national titles. They pulled out of the Big 12 and moved into the Big Ten, uprooting a century's worth of rivalries. The bottom hasn't fallen out -- in those 20 years there have been only three losing seasons, and the Huskers won at least five games in each of them -- but the top has remained beyond reach.

"I'm concerned," said former Husker All-American Johnny Rodgers, the 1972 Heisman winner, "that we might fall so deep into the hole they have to pipe air in to keep us alive."

At one end of the spectrum are the realists, the fans who believe the worst thing the Huskers could do is start over again. Riley, they say, needs time to implement his pro-style system.

"If they fire Mike Riley, we will not be relevant again in my lifetime," said Larry Wheeler, Nebraska '73, from Prescott, Arizona. "We're going to throw away 10 more years, and we've just thrown away almost 20."

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...cornhuskers-struggle-storied-uncertain-future

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
In all honesty, Lee is a decent QB...the O-line play has been atrocious, which was one of the key questions going into the season. The media just seemed to gloss over it, assuming that the line play would improve during the season like they did in the 90's...nope. 5-6 wins is going to be a challenge for this team. But they do have that $51M coming in to numb the pain...

He's fine. But he's nowhere near NFL caliber.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
He's fine. But he's nowhere near NFL caliber.
Agreed...he is basically repeating his stats from Tulane. Is he the 3,500 yard, 30 TD QB that Nebby thought he would be...no. Could he be behind a Wisky or O-State line...maybe. Never thought I would see the day where the Nebby linemen are the teams weakness.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Photoshop Pennywise's head onto this and this is a perfect picture.
I don't have photoshop and couldn't find a picture of the new Pennywise in the correct position so this is the best I could come up with using MS Paint. There are lots more talented people out there that could do a much better job than I.
Mike-Riley - Copy.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: Cyched and CYCLNST8

Jeffrey Scott

Sep 28, 2017
Just read where NE just got $50 million for being in the Big 10. They are now getting their full share of conference largess. I'm guessing the finance and administratioin people are not worried about the football results right now. They are too busy counting the money.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Just read where NE just got $50 million for being in the Big 10. They are now getting their full share of conference largess. I'm guessing the finance and administratioin people are not worried about the football results right now. They are too busy counting the money.

The administration isn’t. But the fan base surely is.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Great article by Ivan Maisel this past weekend:

In the two decades since Osborne retired, Nebraska has won one conference championship, in 1999, and no national titles. They pulled out of the Big 12 and moved into the Big Ten, uprooting a century's worth of rivalries. The bottom hasn't fallen out -- in those 20 years there have been only three losing seasons, and the Huskers won at least five games in each of them -- but the top has remained beyond reach.

"I'm concerned," said former Husker All-American Johnny Rodgers, the 1972 Heisman winner, "that we might fall so deep into the hole they have to pipe air in to keep us alive."

At one end of the spectrum are the realists, the fans who believe the worst thing the Huskers could do is start over again. Riley, they say, needs time to implement his pro-style system.

"If they fire Mike Riley, we will not be relevant again in my lifetime," said Larry Wheeler, Nebraska '73, from Prescott, Arizona. "We're going to throw away 10 more years, and we've just thrown away almost 20."

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...cornhuskers-struggle-storied-uncertain-future

aaaaaand here you have it folks. These are the UNL fans I know, mediocrity is okay for now. That's a far cry from firing Frank Solich for wining 9 games.

• Agree
Reactions: CycoCyclone

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
The administration isn’t. But the fan base surely is.
I love how Neb fan thinks more money is some answer. Guess what, Iowa's getting that money too. And spending it more wisely. ****, Minnesota is going to get more for that money than Nebraska. Nebraska made more money than any Big 12 North opponent the entire time they were in our league and did what with it?

Nebraska never had a money problem, they had a Nebraska problem. Always will.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Nebraska never had a money problem, they had a Nebraska problem. Always will.
True.
NU may have more money by going to the Big 10, but they're poorer for it. In the Big 12 they always were the richest in their division and only UT as the school they couldn't outspend.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Oh how quickly we forget those dreaded days of Big12 collapse. Every ISU fan would have jumped on the opportunity to join the BigTen. Heck, several of our fans would have jumped on joining the Big East just to save ourselves from the sinking ship. Nobody can blame Nebraska for leaving, and many of us were angry they didn't take us with them. Of course, that doesn't stop us all from laughing at their decline after so many years of dominance.

No, that's why I don't fault Missouri for leaving. They jumped off of what looked like a sinking ship when they had the opportunity. Same for Colorado.

But Nebraska and A&M? They would have seats on the table anywhere. They had no need to jump before things settled down. They caused the instability just as much as Texas did and I love seeing them sink in to mediocrity, or worse in Nebraska's case.

• Agree
Reactions: hlb76 and aeroclone

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
I remember my social studies teacher in 8th grade (I think) talking about how glad she was that Frank Solich was canned. She just couldn't stand Nebraska only winning 9 games a year.

• Funny
Reactions: GM4ISU

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
True.
NU may have more money by going to the Big 10, but they're poorer for it. In the Big 12 they always were the richest in their division and only UT as the school they couldn't outspend.

Nebraska’s other sports have gained by being in the big 10. But no one in that fan base gives a rip about the other sports.

They gained all their self esteem as a fan base from football. Now that’s gone. Someone has to eat all the anger. They aren’t far from apathy at this point.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
No, that's why I don't fault Missouri for leaving. They jumped off of what looked like a sinking ship when they had the opportunity. Same for Colorado.

But Nebraska and A&M? They would have seats on the table anywhere. They had no need to jump before things settled down. They caused the instability just as much as Texas did and I love seeing them sink in to mediocrity, or worse in Nebraska's case.

To me Colorado is an even more special case. They've wanted a Pac move for a long time and have a huge alumni base in California. Their move made perfect sense and I've never felt ill toward them for it. UNL's move was just a completely childish b****a**ed FU to Texas.

• Agree
Reactions: drlove

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion

This is pretty much false. The "sinking ship" of the Big 12 was caused by Missouri. Big 10 was set to add Notre Dame as their 12th, which ND rejected. So they had it opened up. Mizzou openly campaigned and claimed they were #12 when the Big 10 was doing their study for a 12th. Mizzou kicked it off. Later Mizzou was heading the expansion committee and was talking to join the SEC at the same time. When they left, they cited, "instability." Of the four "traitors," I always hate Mizzou as #1 from that group due to their sabotage.

Colorado was rumored to leave the Big 8/12 for quite a while for the PAC, due to their alumni/fans being more of a "cultural fit." They didn't leave due to instability, just saw an opportunity. I don't blame them and of the "traitors," they're the only school I respect.

(I agree with your part about Nebby and Tammy, though.)

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Nebraska’s other sports have gained by being in the big 10. But no one in that fan base gives a rip about the other sports.

They gained all their self esteem as a fan base from football. Now that’s gone. Someone has to eat all the anger. They aren’t far from apathy at this point.
There are other sports?

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
Hard to imagine a less uninspiring AD hire than Moos. Train to mediocrity town continues to chug along.

Anyone have a pic of the stands after halftime? Friend of mine said stadium was half empty.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Moos will announce the signing of Chip Kelly a day after the Fusker season is over, somewhere between $6-7 million per year for 5 years.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Moos will announce the signing of Chip Kelly a day after the Fusker season is over, somewhere between $6-7 million per year for 5 years.
That would be interesting. The hype would be high, maybe enough to get them back to WI's bridesmaid, but I'm rooting for it to be Callahan 2.0

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid

giphy.gif

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron