Can anyone verify this?

DirkDiggler

Jun 10, 2010
I haven't seen this mentioned so I apologize if I missed it.

Pacific-10 and Big Ten Step Toward Expansion - NYTimes.com

Last paragraph:

If the Pac-10 swiped six teams from the Big 12 and Missouri or Nebraska went to the Big Ten, the Big 12 would become defunct. Under N.C.A.A. guidelines, a conference needs at least six universities that have played together for five years. The Big 12 would lose its Bowl Championship Series bid and automatic bid to the N.C.A.A. basketball tournament. That could leave colleges like Kansas and Kansas State to be snapped up by the Big East, which could be its best bet to continue using the lure of a B.C.S. bid for football recruits.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I haven't seen this mentioned so I apologize if I missed it.

Pacific-10 and Big Ten Step Toward Expansion - NYTimes.com

Last paragraph:

If the Pac-10 swiped six teams from the Big 12 and Missouri or Nebraska went to the Big Ten, the Big 12 would become defunct. Under N.C.A.A. guidelines, a conference needs at least six universities that have played together for five years. The Big 12 would lose its Bowl Championship Series bid and automatic bid to the N.C.A.A. basketball tournament. That could leave colleges like Kansas and Kansas State to be snapped up by the Big East, which could be its best bet to continue using the lure of a B.C.S. bid for football recruits.

Considering the source, you can bank that its accurate.

BooneCy

May 30, 2006
If this was true, and all assumptions being made, we would fall short of that rule by 1.
ISU
KSU
KU
Missouri
Baylor

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I belive that the NCAA granted an exception for the Big East. If the remaining schools show that they can add teams to full the conference then I can see them getting the exception. Also, if they add six schools from the MWC, then that should fulfill these requirements.

It may be more of a problem if this was for next year. Since we are talking about two years down the road, this should all be settled before any team moves. Because of that, I would think the NCAA would be more lenient as long as a plan was put in place.

DirkDiggler

Jun 10, 2010
Considering the source, you can bank that its accurate.

Well I was hoping that it was not accurate because I would like to see the Big 12 continue on with whoever is remaining plus some new teams. There have been a few rumors regarding conference dissolution so it's tough to know what is true and what isn't.