Campfire meals

DesertClone1

DesertClone
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 6, 2009
Queen Creek, AZ
I gave my wife a dutch oven last night. She wasn't impressed.

However, to be actually helpful, yes, dutch ovens are awesome for camping. Ate all weekend, this was the only pot I used. Biscuits for breakfast, various soups/stews/casseroles, and even scrambled eggs were done in the dutch oven.
:eek::jiggy::th_jtteglad:

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
I hear Cycl1 enjoys a good, hot, beef wiener
I do, especially with onion and chilli. You could heat up a can of chilli on the fire as well, and toast the buns. Chilli covered warm buns that you can put your hot beef weiner in. MMMMM. Makes me want to go camping.

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
Gotta use powdered sugar on the pie iron pies, apple and raspberry are the best.

longtimeclone

Dec 8, 2009
Up north
Something I always liked but didn't make that often was a banana boat(don't know if that name is right).

Slice a banana down the middle with the peel still on(I believe). Put it in tin foil and top the banana with chocolate chips and/or peanut putter. Wrap it up and cook.

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
Our favorite breakfast ... we cook an egg and a slice of ham in an iron skillet, then put them on a buttered English muffin toasted on the grill with a slice of cheese. Just like McDonald's McMuffin sandwiches. Wash it down with coffee brewed on a campfire percolator, which tastes better than coffee out of a Mr. Coffee. Top off with a screwdriver!

mbbone

Jan 4, 2010
omelets in a bag and hobo dinners are both great, but a dutch oven is the gold standard for campfire cooking. You can make pretty much anything you can make at home in a dutch oven.

BKLYNCyclone

Sep 16, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
I've always been a bacon, fried egg (in bacon fat), and fried up leftover hobo meal (onion, green peppers, potatoes) in the morning kind of guy. Good stuff. Oh, and coffee always tastes better while camping... The stuff is amazing.

I miss the Catskills.

theyork

Aug 6, 2009
hedgesville, wv
i'm a big fan of using a wok over an open flame. easy, no spilling food on the fire. cook up some chicken with veggies throw some tortillas on a portable grill (over the fire) and bam! chicken fajitas.

Statsman515

Jun 20, 2009
L A (Lovely Ames)
The only limitation to meals cooked in a dutch oven is your imagination.

Try: Beef roast, with the veggies (potato, carotts, onion)
Boneless Chicken & Stuffing
Pork Roast or Chops & Stuffing
Chicken & Dumplins

I would caution you to not use too much heat. Very easy to burn your food if you use too hot a bed of coals. try 8-10 on the bottom and 6-8 on the top.
Be sure to put coles on top of your dutch oven also.

Have fun!!

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
You can make a deep fat fryer just using a metal coffee can, and make egg rolls, fries, stuff like that. I can't find any good recipes or directions online, however.