Caleb Grill is Returning to Iowa State

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
When Caleb says this, " I can’t wait to be re-united with former teammates and continue to learn and grow as a player..." I think the slates about clear. Are there any former Cyclone 'teammates' of his left? The only one I can name is George Conduit. Anyone else?

Edit: Other than the 3 non-schol players, Boothe, Schuster, Steyer. Shouldn't forget them.

Pretty sure Schuster and Steyer both graduated early, and moved onto real life.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
He says he’s looking forward to reuniting with his old teammates. It’s sad/funny that that only refers to Jackson and Condit.

Javan Johnson was on the team during Grill's freshman year. He was just on a redshirt.

So really it is three old teammates, not two, plus whoever for walk-ons.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
It is kinda wild that between the transfer rule and the covid rulings that Grill basically never left as far as his eligibility goes. It's like we're BYU and sent him on an excursion or something
Seems like kind of a ridiculous loophole but I'll take it.
Sounds like we should consider loaning players for playing time. Does Northern Illinois want to partner up? :jimlad:

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
When Caleb says this, " I can’t wait to be re-united with former teammates and continue to learn and grow as a player..." I think the slates about clear. Are there any former Cyclone 'teammates' of his left? The only one I can name is George Conduit. Anyone else?

Edit: Other than the 3 non-schol players, Boothe, Schuster, Steyer. Shouldn't forget them.
Pretty sure Schuster and Steyer both graduated early, and moved onto real life.
I read somewhere that Schuster is in the transfer portal but could be wrong. I wouldn’t see much point in grad transferring for basketball if I were him. Unless he wants to give DII or DIII a go.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and t-noah

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
So we'll get 4-5 pts/game and NAIA level jokes on the horizon. Great.
Did you see we also picked up a 3 year Big 10 starter and a recommitment from the #35 player in the nation and top 5 PG in high school yesterday?

Lighten up.

• Agree
Reactions: CyCloned

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Fire it up boys.
rostilj-06.gif
Let's eat
giphy.gif

If Grill can return, I see no reason that JLH gifs can't return.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Did you see we also picked up a 3 year Big 10 starter and a recommitment from the #35 player in the nation and top 5 PG in high school yesterday?

Lighten up.
Considering that we just landed a 3 year Big 10 starter and a recomittment from a 4 star PG, I feel like the answer is a no

This thread was about Grill...I did not talk about the last transfer or the PG that reaffirmed his commitment nor did I bring up the first two commits which are probably a reach.

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006
I think y'all are trying a bit too hard to make Grill more than he currently is. I attribute some of that to the "no-Prohm" bounce that some ascribe.

I see no comparison between the two. Matty Ice was a flat-out shooter with a textbook form who lived & breathed BB and struggled a bit his first two years - I think it was due to adapting to the athletic talent and physical rigors at this level. He obviously figured it out. He worked his butt off. One of my favorite plays was the steal and dunk he had against KU in Hilton - shocked me with the athleticism he showed.

Grill was an outstanding all-around athlete in HS who played BB some of the time. He's obviously focusing full time on BB now, but, even after watching a few UNLV games this year, he looks like a really good athlete who's still getting accustomed to BB. Sure seems to be a hard worker, so I expect he'll contribute, but, while I see a nice shot, I don't see the sweet form of Matty Ice. Would be surprised if Grill is more than an energy guy off the bench who hits a few threes at times - and hopefully a lefty dunk or two. Hope I'm wrong and that he develops to more than that. Either way, glad he's aboard.

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
Another hard worker and he has some upside and three years remaining. I can see him being a good role player his Junior and Senior year.

With Kalscheur supposedly planning for 2 years in Ames, it's unlikely Grill will be in a starting role anytime soon. That's ideal for how to best utilize him IMO. Depending on who we still add for next year, I see Grill as a 18-20 min off the bench guy. He'll be a hard worker and team leader for TJ as well.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron