Cael on WOI at 6

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
Fox reported a five year contract worth 2.5 million. So yeah, I'd say it was about the money.

Balls

Mar 23, 2006
Iowa
I will pull this audio clip on Monday, and try to play it on the show. I spoke with Cael last March, right after the Nationals. I asked him if the Cyclones were wrestling the style he wanted the program to be known for, and he said no, they are not, and it had been hard to get across to them what it takes to be the best...he also told me that he 'did not recruit these guys', which floored me that he said that at that time. Wasnt he Bobby's primary recruiter?? Cael then reitereated earlier this year that he felt he had the road map for these guys to be the best they could be, but that he was learning that not everyone was wired like he was, therefore had to be coached differently. An interesting year of quotes....I just want to hear more about the how and why this went down....especially since he didnt even want to hear a counter offer from ISU.

I too remember something similar. Kind of weird comments given today's events. Wonder if he had grown apart from his current team due to them not living up to his standards. Maybe he thinks he needs a new place to start over and combined with the money he just couldn't resist.

rbrook

Mar 23, 2006
Newton, IA
Visit site
My guess is that the base salary is not that much more than ISU's, but if you figure in the 1M signing bonus plus his salary, then you can see that it averages about 500K per year for 3 years.

cytyler

Jan 24, 2009
Ankeny
Two years. Resembles Chizik, with the only plus side being he didn't lie (as bad, if he lied at all).

PlymouthCy

Mar 21, 2006
Hinton
Visit site
Atleast Chizik didn't cry on TV. He went for the money, which is fine, but don't get all moral by saying the worn out line of, "this hurts me more than it hurts you." For I State fans to be consistant, he did the same to us as Chizik.

sunset

Oct 18, 2006
San Diego, CA
Atleast Chizik didn't cry on TV. He went for the money, which is fine, but don't get all moral by saying the worn out line of, "this hurts me more than it hurts you." For I State fans to be consistant, he did the same to us as Chizik.

Yep, sure sounds about right to me.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
If Cael left for the money, which I'm still waiting to hear what it is he is making, then so be it. We can't compete with Penn St. financially.

If Cael left for recruiting, like Jon Miller suggested, then it just makes him look lazy. I don't believe it is going to be easier for him at Penn State. In the Big12, he only has to compete against 4 teams for a conference crown, and two of those teams have virtually no history. In the Big10, he is going to have to compete with 11 other schools including powerhouses in Iowa, Minnesota, and Ohio St, just to win the conference. Penn St has no history. Bad mistake Cael.

I hope ISU doesn't release any players. I'm going to be even more ticked if he attempts to pull a Brands move and bring most of his players with him.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
If it was simply money... then shame on ISU for not matching... and shame on Cael for putting ISU into such a position and caring more about money then his wrestling family. I am also still in shock!

"Simply" money? If it was "simply" money, then why don't we go after Urban Meyer or Bill Parcells?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron