Cael on WOI at 6

clonecard

Oct 21, 2006
Was not the picture of a happy guy and made a very vanilla statement about leaving. Did not appear at all pleased to be leaving. Who really believes PA is the hotbed of wrestling talent? Has EIU been so successful because of the dominance of PA talent on their team? Moreover Sanderson just said to reporters (KCCI) that his contract is "nowhere near" $500,000, and that it "wasn't much of a pay raise."

The real reason is still unknown, imo.

If anyone has a link to Caels comments on channel 5 please post it.

Balls

Mar 23, 2006
Iowa
Something isn't right. There appears to be something much deeper that is bothering Cael to lead him to leave if not money.

I am eager for more to come out but also afraid the truth will just further damage ISU, the fan base, and the individual programs. Not sure we need more negative press.

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
Was not the picture of a happy guy and made a very vanilla statement about leaving. Did not appear at all pleased to be leaving. Who really believes PA is the hotbed of wrestling talent? Has EIU been so successful because of the dominance of PA talent on their team? Moreover Sanderson just said to reporters (KCCI) that his contract is "nowhere near" $500,000, and that it "wasn't much of a pay raise."

The real reason is still unknown, imo.

If anyone has a link to Caels comments on channel 5 please post it.

PA, Ohio, NJ, NY all have good HS wrestling traditions. I believe Backes was from NJ.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
PA, Ohio, NJ, NY all have good HS wrestling traditions. I believe Backes was from NJ.

Which only shows that we can recruit them. I just don't understand. He says it was harder on him than the fans? Then stay. The only thing that would make sense is if the money really is that much more. I'm talking money in his pocket. And this is really bad for the sport. If the money is really that much more and the "big" schools start going down this path there are going to be a lot of programs destroyed.

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
This is just a shocker...if it winds up being about a lot of money, that helps save some face. if its not a lot more money, or not much of a pay raise at all, then it's a worse situation. Jamie's statement of Cael saying kids grow up out east wanting to wrestle for Penn State...is that him saying, but not saying, that he has encountered too many kids from this state that grow up wanting to wrestle for Iowa, and its an uphill battle?

There are a lot of wrestlers out east, no question. It's a good place to recruit. But man...he is an ISU icon...this thing still floors me.

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
This is just a shocker...if it winds up being about a lot of money, that helps save some face. if its not a lot more money, or not much of a pay raise at all, then it's a worse situation. Jamie's statement of Cael saying kids grow up out east wanting to wrestle for Penn State...is that him saying, but not saying, that he has encountered too many kids from this state that grow up wanting to wrestle for Iowa, and its an uphill battle?

There are a lot of wrestlers out east, no question. It's a good place to recruit. But man...he is an ISU icon...this thing still floors me.

yeah- I'm definitely in shock.

Balls

Mar 23, 2006
Iowa
What bothers me about the clip is hearing that "nobody cares more about ISU wrestling than me". How does that concern translate into leaving ISU (maybe taking some wrestlers along with you) and putting all your efforts into another team. Does nobody care more that that?

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com

I read this EXACTLY the same way. He did not like going into homes where the kids grew up wanting to wrestle for the hawkeyes and he already had an uphill battle. Basically, Cael left because he was scared he couldn't overcome Iowa and Brands from Ames. I will remember him as the greatest of all time wrestler, gold medalist, great person, and chickenshit coach.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
What bothers me about the clip is hearing that "nobody cares more about ISU wrestling than me". How does that concern translate into leaving ISU (maybe taking some wrestlers along with you) and putting all your efforts into another team. Does nobody care more that that?

he has already proved from his website and deeds that what he says and does don't jive. I just wrote this statement he said off as "thats what you say when you hose a program to be polite."

Balls

Mar 23, 2006
Iowa
If it was simply money... then shame on ISU for not matching... and shame on Cael for putting ISU into such a position and caring more about money then his wrestling family. I am also still in shock!

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
I will pull this audio clip on Monday, and try to play it on the show. I spoke with Cael last March, right after the Nationals. I asked him if the Cyclones were wrestling the style he wanted the program to be known for, and he said no, they are not, and it had been hard to get across to them what it takes to be the best...he also told me that he 'did not recruit these guys', which floored me that he said that at that time. Wasnt he Bobby's primary recruiter?? Cael then reitereated earlier this year that he felt he had the road map for these guys to be the best they could be, but that he was learning that not everyone was wired like he was, therefore had to be coached differently. An interesting year of quotes....I just want to hear more about the how and why this went down....especially since he didnt even want to hear a counter offer from ISU.

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
If it was simply money... then shame on ISU for not matching... and shame on Cael for putting ISU into such a position and caring more about money then his wrestling family. I am also still in shock!

If it winds up being $500k per year, good for ISU to not even try to match that.

Balls

Mar 23, 2006
Iowa
I read this EXACTLY the same way. He did not like going into homes where the kids grew up wanting to wrestle for the hawkeyes and he already had an uphill battle. Basically, Cael left because he was scared he couldn't overcome Iowa and Brands from Ames. I will remember him as the greatest of all time wrestler, gold medalist, great person, and chickenshit coach.

Good post. I like the end and might end up thinking the same.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron