BYU and Sunday Competitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newell

Aug 6, 2013
I do not want Night games in November for football. Kills our attendance. It is cold. If BYU can dictate times that it can not play, then why can't Iowa State?

How about objecting to leaving Ames for any sporting events which involve exercise? Sounds reasonable to me. All home games.

gnarlyboy

Oct 20, 2013
Good thing is that in Dec 2013 the Church officially renounced their doctrine that brown skin is a punishment from God.
One attraction for BYU could be that the Church's 'Garden of Eden' is located in what is present day Jackson County Missouri (KC), not far from several B12 venues. And I always thought anatomically modern humans migrated from Africa.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I'm far from a Mormon but I'm surprised at the amount of bigotry in this thread. :shocked:

While I agree there is some of that a large part is that they aren't that much better of an option than the other schools. Regardless of religious affiliation BYU is barely if in my top ten of schools. The religious stuff is just a further knock on them.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
the guys over on cougarboard seems to be pretty nice. i got some nice messages thanking me for asking about them and that they struggle with misconceptions frequently.

unanimous response is that they can't play on sunday but can travel.

no alcohol in tailgates but several posters said cyclone fans can go to their house parties before games and can drink away our sorrow.

here is the weird thing: no caffeine sold in the stadium. looks like you'll have to mix your snuck-in rum with caffeine-free coke or sprite.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I don't want Houston or Colorado State either. Does that make me a bigot?

It is if you don't want Houston because of "the blacks" or CSU because of all "the gays." (not sure if CSU has more gays than any other school)

I don't like BYU as an option either, but the Religion is WAY DOWN the list for me. :shrug:

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
The anti-Mormonism in this thread is kind of gross. I say this as a non-Mormon by the way. Live and let live when it comes to choices like religion. I don't think the Big 12 should exclude a school for as trivial a reason as they won't play on Sunday. It's not like they can't play football on Saturdays. The Sunday thing is such an easy fix scheduling-wise.

BYU is easily the biggest brand, fanbase, etc. of any school the Big 12 could realistically add... I say go for it and then I would hope to be able to catch an ISU game in Provo soon.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
If you were the best candidate for a job. If you could provide the amount of revenue and exposure for your company like BYU could for Big 12. If you had the experience & industry recognition. If you were a top candidate at a top company. You probably could.

But could I do that? No, I'm like the University of South Dakota of my industry. So I couldn't do that.

I guess you working for the wrong companies or haven't worked in a while. Many companies today make accommodations for their employees religious or even family needs. People are given their preferred religious holiday off, not just Christmas. People are allowed flex time and work hours to fit family needs.

So for people to get all excited about not competing on Sunday, is old school thinking. What is the real impact? As the original poster mentioned we competed 15 times on Sunday. But that was accross 9 other Big12 teams. The reality, this might impact one ISU tennis, soccer and softball contest a year and there are easy accomodations that can be made.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I'm hopeful that BYU gets in for selfish reasons, easy road trip for me from Portland.

Anyways, I lived in Salt Lake City for 4 years, got down to a football game and went to our basketball game against them. Their crowd is very into the games, it's a spirited environment (especially after the face rake thing), and they bring a lot to the table in that regard. They care more than a lot of other programs, which I put a high value on.

It didn't bother me that not everyone I worked with would drink with us at the bar when we went out for work events or lunch. I didn't tailgate in Provo, so I can't speak for how uncomfortable it is there, but nobody really thinks about it in SLC too much. They're pretty nice people, generally speaking.

The religion thing I guess is a big divider, and I'm not a fan of the LDS church. That said, I don't really pay attention to how TCU or Baylor operate as far as their religions. I imagine I'd find a lot to dislike there since I find most religions absurd.

Don't forget about the fantastic skiing on a road basketball trip, quick visit to a national park for a fall football game, catch a Jazz game, etc..

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
no alcohol in tailgate lots. period. they said tailgaters can drink off campus and walk there. their first trip to ames will be an eye-opener.
They played at Nebby, UCLA and Michigan last year and Texas the year before, with Wisconsin the year before that. Probably not too shocked by anything they see in that regard.

Gerbs

Aug 31, 2013
I guess you working for the wrong companies or haven't worked in a while. Many companies today make accommodations for their employees religious or even family needs. People are given their preferred religious holiday off, not just Christmas. People are allowed flex time and work hours to fit family needs.

So for people to get all excited about not competing on Sunday, is old school thinking. What is the real impact? As the original poster mentioned we competed 15 times on Sunday. But that was accross 9 other Big12 teams. The reality, this might impact one ISU tennis, soccer and softball contest a year and there are easy accomodations that can be made.

It was a joke man. But take a look at who started this thread, you're preaching to the choir.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
If BYU is so great why didn't they get an invite to the Pac 12? BYU is a big name program but by the sounds of it they want things on their terms. If that is true they really don't fit into the big conference model, when TV rules all and you play when TV says you do.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I'd be surprised if half of our existing schools didn't like the idea of never playing on Sundays...the only reason the schools in Texas and Oklahoma would be against it was that they didn't think of it themselves decades ago.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
I'm a fan of BYU to join but in truth I'm surprised before for the longest time we were told we are going east not west. I want to get schools closer to our footprint not further. I want Memphis and Cincy or Cincy and CSU

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
If BYU is so great why didn't they get an invite to the Pac 12? BYU is a big name program but by the sounds of it they want things on their terms. If that is true they really don't fit into the big conference model, when TV rules all and you play when TV says you do.

If the Pac 12 was already happy to have a school like Baylor the way the Big 12 is they'd have likely taken BYU over Utah. Not that I don't think Utah is worthy of a P5 conference...I'd be lobbying for Utah if they were available.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I'm a fan of BYU to join but in truth I'm surprised before for the longest time we were told we are going east not west. I want to get schools closer to our footprint not further. I want Memphis and Cincy or Cincy and CSU

I feel like BYU is the only brand that doesn't dilute the conference. Cincy probably does enough to be a wash. Louisville would have likely added something or at worst been a wash.

Everything else is some long term experiment...but I like some of them better than a Rutgers in the Big Ten type experiment. I think UCF/USF in the Big 12 is a better long term gamble than that.

For whatever reason the only potential candidate I really hate the idea of is UConn, talk about forced. We turn down Louisville that would have been a great fit only to watch the ACC take them and spurn UConn...then we add UConn. We have the worst decision makers of all time if we do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.