Brewers' desperation is getting absurd

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
Milwaukee is absolutely abusing Sabathia. On Sunday he'll make his third straight start on 3 days of rest. On top of that, he has pitched 9 or 10 CG since being moved to Milwaukee. I'm sure the guy is a gamer, but he has to be a little leery about how the Brewers are using him. I watched one of his complete games (against SF, I believe) when he was still in there in the 9th with a 9-1 lead and 110+ pitches. It's almost unethical. They have no intentions of re-signing him, so they couldn't care less about his long-term health.

It may help the Brewers squeak into the playoffs, but they might pay for it sooner than they think. The
Indians abused him in a similar fashion leading into last year's playoffs. His 2007 postseason stats: 15.1 IP, 21 H, 13 BB, 8.80 ERA.

Then there is the most recent revelation that the Brewers will pitch Yovani Gallardo tonight. Yes, the young phenom that tore his ACL back in May and hasn't pitched since. They're rushing one of their most prized players back from an ACL tear just 4 months after the fact. This has disaster written all over it.

Like I said, some of these moves are borderline unethical. As a baseball fan, I hate to see it. They've obviously thrown all of their eggs into the 2008 basket.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Yup. It is sad to watch, especially on behalf of the players who might be having their careers cut short for a team that has a very slim chance of going on through the playoffs anyway. Throw on the abrupt firing of their manager, and this is a franchise I wouldn't be proud to be associated with.

CyGuy33

May 7, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
The great thing about C.C. is he is going to go out and do his job no matter how many days of rest he has gotten. He is a competitor and I can't wait to see him in Pin Stripes.

acrozier22

Mar 17, 2006
Southeast Iowa
The great thing about C.C. is he is going to go out and do his job no matter how many days of rest he has gotten. He is a competitor and I can't wait to see him in Pin Stripes.

I'm not so sure that is going to happen. Word is that if the yanks bring Cashman back they are going to sign a few guys but won't be making any big splashes in the market this off season. The latest has CC going to the west coast...

jtd9046

Dec 20, 2006
Chicago
Unethical? No. They are obviously leaving part of the decision up to CC. He is saying he can and wants to pitch. He knows his own body and arm.

It wasn't that long ago when pitchers threw every 3 days, 200+ pitches every outing.

If you watch any Twins games, you'll hear Bert Blyleven (future HOF pitcher, hopefully) talk about this topic all year. He thinks the worst thing you can do is limit a pitcher to a pitch count. Every pitcher is different in how their bodies react to that type of work. Why limit it if it can make you stronger and more durable???

pyrocyz

Jun 2, 2006
Ames
Alright, I see where you are coming from...but look at it from the Brewers perspective. They have absolutely no chance of resigning their top two pitchers this year. Both Sheets and Sabathia are gone. No chance. They are tied for the wild card and are trying to make the playoffs, in which we know anything can happen if you make the playoffs. Sabathia has the right to say take me out...I don't want to pitch anymore today...but no, he too is trying to make the playoffs. He has said publicly that already that he is willing to pitch again on sunday.

As far as Gallardo, he is healthy...he has pitched two simulated games. Sorry that he hasn't pitched minor league rehad starts to prove his health to you...but there are no minor leagues right now. I think that it is a brilliant move. HE pitches one game now and at most 3 to 5 more. No one has seen him or has any recent film on him. Scouts can't tell the opposing team what to expect, and saying his arm is fresh is an understatement. If it was an arm or shoulder injury I may agree with you, but I think that it is a briliant move by an interm manager who is trying to deal with a tough situation.

As a brewers fan, I don't have much hope for next year. I don't think that we will be good. Therefore, I feel that going for the playoffs this year is a great thing for the organization.

P.S. Did you feel that it was unethical that Jake Sullivan played the entire second half of his senior year with an injury? Possibly negating any chance at a professional career afterwards. Little different situation, but a lot more alike than you would like to admit.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Whoever signs him to the huge deal he's going to get this offseason could be getting damaged goods as much as the Brewers have used him.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Whoever signs him to the huge deal he's going to get this offseason could be getting damaged goods as much as the Brewers have used him.

That's the deal, and the Brewers know that they can't sign him, so it doesn't really matter to them if he burns out. Frankly, it might end up helping them next year to burn him out.

He flamed out in Cleveland last year because of the same thing. At some point, since he's getting older like everyone else, he'll be burning out earlier and earlier. That's my guess. This could shave a year off of his career.

On the other hand, with MLB's guaranteed contracts, maybe that doesn't matter. Ask Carl Pavano.

pyrocyz

Jun 2, 2006
Ames

He may not have pitched complete games, but I am pretty sure that he pitched just as much last year, and will continue to pitch that much next year.

It is what he does. I would only be worried if he had a drop in performance because of it.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

You mean by the time the Yankees get ahold of him he'll be yet another player who's used up his best stuff by the time he makes his way to the Bronx, yet inflating the Yankees' payroll even further while getting a performance that isn't even close to worth it?

Yup, have fun with that one.

Hasn't the evil empire yet learned that you can't buy championships - or apparently, even playoff appearances anymore?

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
If there is anyone who can handle this it is CC. His size, suprisingly, helps his durability. As long as he has his legs he can go all season. Last year he had some lower body injuries, putting more stess on his arm, causing him to break down. He is not what baseball people call a 'Max Effort' pitcher. He throws hard, but it is because he has near picture perfect mechanics and the size and strength to get him through.

Reactions: Steve

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
It's amazing how one's perspective changes depending on which team you're cheering for. I'm guessing the conversations would be completely flip-flopped if the Cubs were tied for the Wild Card and they were using Zambrano in a similar fashion.

Being a fan of neither team, I am actually a little surprised the Cubs fans really care. If Milwaukee does make the playoffs, the two teams wouldn't face each other (unless they both make it to the NLCS) anyway. Based on Cubs' past performances, I'm guessing they're not gonna make it out of the NLDS, so it's a moot point (Sorry, I had to stir the pot a little)

Reactions: Seth

Wx4Cy

May 22, 2007
West Des Moines
Why is 3 days rest twice a big deal? It wasn't that long ago that most teams had 4-man rotations. That's 3 days rest all year. Also, in the playoffs, most teams go with 3 or 4 man rotations so even with travel days, you're usually going on short rest.

CyGuy33

May 7, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
If there is anyone who can handle this it is CC. His size, suprisingly, helps his durability. As long as he has his legs he can go all season. Last year he had some lower body injuries, putting more stess on his arm, causing him to break down. He is not what baseball people call a 'Max Effort' pitcher. He throws hard, but it is because he has near picture perfect mechanics and the size and strength to get him through.

I watched ever game C.C. pitched last year and you could see the injury was effecting the way he pitched and hurt him in the playoffs.

You are correct his mechanics are great and his size does help him. I have to spread some rep around first I guess but then you get some.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006

I agree with everything that you posted here. Another thing that I would add is that more and more teams are going with 2 bullpens (days 2 & 3) between starts for the guys with 4 days rest. The amazing Braves staffs in the 90's credited this approach with helping them stay sharp especially with command of the breaking ball. When you go back to 3 days rest, it tends to balance out when you also go back to one bullpen (day 2).

pyrocyz

Jun 2, 2006
Ames
If the mets were smart they would pitch Johan for the next four games and not let their bullpen touch the ball.