Brackins' Outside Game

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
You could pick out one thing everyone on the team did or does wrong and bash it. But the people here only like to critique craig.

Because there is an expectation for him. We don't have as high of expectations for everyone else so Brackins is the one who gets thrown under the bus half the time :sad:

Final42b

Jan 4, 2009
Ames
Because there is an expectation for him. We don't have as high of expectations for everyone else so Brackins is the one who gets thrown under the bus half the time :sad:

I think thats pretty sad, no wonder we can't win, we dont expect anything from any one else, other than some lucca 3's

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I agree. If Craig wasn't so valuable to the team I think he would be reigned in more. But, he is our ONLY low post scoring threat right now. Our offense goes to crap without him on the floor. McDermott can't afford to bench him for too long.

If the only thing to think about was college success, then Craig should never shoot another 3 in his life. But, everyone knows he has an eye on the NBA, and guys his size have to be able too shoot from some range to be effective there. I suspect Craig knows that, and will keep trying to do it. I also suspect McDermott knows that Craig knows that and is giving him some leeway so that Craig doesn't come to think that the college game is preventing him from reaching his potential.

I was going to post the same thing. Craig has his future in mind, so he's trying to round out his game. Can't blame him for that. If we're down by 30 with seven minutes left, I don't think a 3 will kill us.

And I DO think Mac has to be a little concerned about attrition - by all accounts, he was always a hard-*** before. Many people have said that's what caused Wesley to leave. There were some stories that Jiri was unhappy, etc. He needs these guys (especially Craig) to stay.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
actually i had high expectations for garrett.

hes looked great some games, other games...not so much

I can either really like DG or be super-frustrated with him. He's the only guy on the team who is going to try and penetrate and take the ball coast-to-coast, but he also just needs to slow down and pass out every once in a while. I think sometimes (like a few times yesterday) he just thinks he needs to take the game on his shoulders, and so he doesn't look for an open man instead of shooting.

Jan 16, 2009
Ames, IA
I don't know why you can say that when he seems to never shoot the three. At least not the past 6-7 games I've seen.

True, he doesn't shoot much, but he actually shoots a decent percent on the deep ball. He's defidently improving though. Last year he shot 9-41 while this year he is 9-24.

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
There is a HUGE difference in Brackins stepping into a three off of penetration with 10 seconds on the shotclock, and Brackins putting up a 3 with 25 seconds left on the shotclock not in the framework of the offense...the latter is as good as a turnover and Craig does it FAR too often...just because a guy CAN make a three doesn't make it a good shot...not trying to dog on the guy because he's a phenominal talent and has many years of basketball in front of him.

Chizit

Dec 21, 2008
Section L, Row 11
I'm not saying that he misses too many, because you are correct. I'm saying that he needs to have a shot that he's comfortable making.

Yeah that's true. He seems moderately comfortable driving, but he just doesn't finish when he gets to the rack. I think he should shoot the three more myself.

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
To reiterate, I'm not talking about just three pointers. Some people in this thread are, though.

Agree...it's the same with the amount of 16-19 foot jumpers he takes early in the shot clock, and not within the framework of the offense....I like our coaching staff and think they'll get it done here, but this falls on them...these bad shots that are repeatedly taken by Craig game after game NEED to stop...I realize he needs to score for us to be successful, but contested running one-handed 14 footers are the same as a turnover, as are 3's off the dribble early in the shotclock, and fadeaway off-balance 10footers over doubleteams...

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
Agree...it's the same with the amount of 16-19 foot jumpers he takes early in the shot clock, and not within the framework of the offense....I like our coaching staff and think they'll get it done here, but this falls on them...these bad shots that are repeatedly taken by Craig game after game NEED to stop...I realize he needs to score for us to be successful, but contested running one-handed 14 footers are the same as a turnover, as are 3's off the dribble early in the shotclock, and fadeaway off-balance 10footers over doubleteams...

Agreed. I love Craig Brackins. I would just love him more with fewer wasted shots.

To the posters who have made the point about the NBA -- that is something I've considered, and it is a valid point. It seems to me, though, that he'd be better suited not to show off that part of the game until it is an asset. Right now, he is just showing scouts that he doesn't have it yet. I'm all for him working on his medium range and perimeter game in practice. If he can come out and hit 35-40% of his threes next year, that would be fantastic. He's just not there yet.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Brackins can shoot the 3, look at the houston game, he shot it well from downtown all game. It's not his fault nobody on his team will go down and rebound when he takes outside shots. If he is in rhythm he usually makes it. IMO he has a better outside game than Eik....

Fixed it for ya. Other than Craig, Pete, DG and Hamilton, we have a team of players who'd rather take jumpers and see if they fall, rather than do gritty work around the paint.
There are many women's NCAA teams more physical than ISU...

Final42b

Jan 4, 2009
Ames
Fixed it for ya. Other than Craig, Pete, DG and Hamilton, we have a team of players who'd rather take jumpers and see if they fall, rather than do gritty work around the paint.
There are many women's NCAA teams more physical than ISU...

Yep thats a problem.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron