Bracket Discussion

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
They're CRAZY efficient defensively and they played a really strong OOC schedule.
They've played just 2 quadrant 1 games....and 10 quadrant 3 and 4 games. The NET quadrant system doesn't support a "really strong OOC". I think it might be a glitch.

Reactions: JBone84 and Nihawk

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
I still am at a loss how Iowa is like a 7 seed in many bracket predictions. Should they be in? Probably...but more in the 10/11 seed range IMO. A 7 seed with a big loss at home to Eastern Illinois? A big loss to Nebraska? I don't get it. Yes they drilled us...great win for them. Rutgers is a good win. The amount of 'good' teams apparently is just not great in other leagues.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
They've played just 2 quadrant 1 games....and 10 quadrant 3 and 4 games. The NET quadrant system doesn't support a "really strong OOC". I think it might be a glitch.
They're also 8 in KenPom, 5 in Torvik and 16 in BPI with Top 75 OOCs in all of them.

Totally different discussion but the Quadrant system is nothing more than another way for the NCAA to justify keeping bids in the P6 and away from good mid-majors because that's what CBS/Turner wants. It is what it is.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
The Mountain West has five teams in the top 35 of the NET but 'experts' have ONE of those five safely in. The other four are in Dayton or out of the field.

Meanwhile the 'experts' are all putting teams like Maryland (46 NET), Penn State (51 NET), Northwestern (54 NET), and Wisconsin (65 NET) in the field.

Make it make sense.

CyPunch

May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
Lol. Fuckking Lunardi.

11 Big Ten teams in.

6 Big 12.

View attachment 108675

Lunardi is one of the guys who believes teams with below .500 records in power conferences shouldn't get a bid. It's probably tougher to go 8-10 in the Big 12 this year than 12-8 in the Big Ten. Really stupid argument.

Lunardi is not very good at projecting the field in comparison to the actual bracket anyways. He just has the biggest platform. 88th of 148 possible bracketolgists on bracket matrix.

Reactions: JBone84

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Lol. Fuckking Lunardi.

11 Big Ten teams in.

6 Big 12.

View attachment 108675

I wouldn’t sweat it.

1. Lunardi is competent enough as a general guide, but far removed from his days as Pioneer Bracket Wizard.
2. There’s bound to be some logjam in mid-January from various leagues, Some separation is likely within the next few weeks, especially noticeable at the bubble fringe.
3. Make note of his last-four-in/first-four-out teams … swap a couple of those and it’s 8 of 10 Big 12 and “only” 9 of 14 Big Ten. Also two Big Ten teams at last four byes, so those could fall to in/out lines ... (by same token, could rise to "safely in.").
4 Bracketologists who list # of teams per conference ought to use percentage instead. Yeah, any of us can do the math, but it misrepresents “strength” of league.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Lunardi is one of the guys who believes teams with below .500 records in power conferences shouldn't get a bid. It's probably tougher to go 8-10 in the Big 12 this year than 12-8 in the Big Ten. Really stupid argument.

Lunardi is not very good at projecting the field in comparison to the actual bracket anyways. He just has the biggest platform. 88th of 148 possible bracketolgists on bracket matrix.

He's an ESPN guy and they need to find a way to hype the B1G to make it sound better than it is. It helps the B1G that other conferences are not strong and college basketball seems down.

It's perfect for him because then if the committee 'only' picks like 7 B1G teams he can clamor to B1G fans and create fake outrage over 'snubs'.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Ok before (although it looks like it already has) this turns into the annual, “Don’t sweat Lunardi, he’s not even that good compared to the other Bracketologists out there. Use Bracket Matrix etc.”

We all know this already and I only look at Bracket Matrix. Doesn’t mean people can’t still poke fun and bring up dumb stuff by the most popular Bracketologist with the biggest platform, which Lunardi is and has.

But yes please people for the love of God use Bracket Matrix as your guide because it will give you a much better picture.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
He proves each year he’s a total clown. This year will be no different although 11 Big 10 teams might be his hottest take yet.

We have 6 teams in the top 17 right now which are absolutely locks (barring the completely unthinkable happening).

This means none of OU, OSU, or West Virginia are getting in despite current NET rankings of 57, 42, and 30 respectively. Even Tech is sitting at 73 with a lot of season left.

You want to predict 7 from the Big 12? Maybe. 8 is probably more realistic. But 6 is just insane.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
You fools are falling for his clickbait trap... Do yourself a favor and only visit Bracket Matrix here: http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

The site ranks each bracket maker so you know who is good versus who is blowing hot air.
Wait what is this Bracket Matrix thing?!?! I can’t believe nobody has brought this up yet!!!

Jk I’m just having some fun. See my last post.

Reactions: cyfan92

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019

Big 12 wild cards: Kansas State/Iowa State/Texas​

Bet ’em: The Big 12 has an astounding six teams on the top four seed lines this week, and it sure feels like the champion of this league deserves a No. 1 seed. These three are tied atop the standings and boast a combined 17 Quad 1 wins.

Fold ’em: K-State has some metrics in the 20s and one in the 30s. Iowa State’s profile looks more like a No. 2 seed at the moment. Texas? Hold ’em, at least until Saturday’s SEC/Big 12 showdown at Tennessee.

OK, time to ante up. There are no unreasonable choices here, but we placed our bets on Houston and Tennessee this week, figuring in a group this close that the metrics would win the day for the committee (and giving the Vols the head-to-head tiebreaker against Kansas). But we are far from all-in on those picks.

1674838312441.png

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
I really need someone to explain to me how any 'expert' has Wisconsin anything higher than a play in game at this point. Palm has them an 8 seed. Lunardi at least has them as the last team in.

NET is 70
KenPom is 69
BartTorvik is 78

They are 12-7 overall and 4-5 in the Big Ten and are damn lucky they beat PSU by 3 or they'd be on a six game losing streak.

There is no way a team like that should be sniffing the bracket...let alone an EIGHT seed?!

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
I really need someone to explain to me how any 'expert' has Wisconsin anything higher than a play in game at this point. Palm has them an 8 seed. Lunardi at least has them as the last team in.

NET is 70
KenPom is 69
BartTorvik is 78

They are 12-7 overall and 4-5 in the Big Ten and are damn lucky they beat PSU by 3 or they'd be on a six game losing streak.

There is no way a team like that should be sniffing the bracket...let alone an EIGHT seed?!

It is odd. They do have a combined 6-7 record in Quad 1 adn Quad 2, so that might slide them above some of the teams ahead of them. About the only thing I could think of.

Help Support Us

Become a patron