Born vs. Converted Cyclone Fan

Born or Converted ISU Fan

• Total voters

iowajazz

Nov 25, 2006
Johnston, IA
I have the same story as my brother Wolverine, but he is lying about living in Colorado...only one of us lived there and it was the one of us who was born there. We did live in Wisconsin for a time though. I don't remember anything but being a Cyclone fan and we were there with center court seats for the start of the Johnny Orr era as well as sitting on the 50 yard line for the Jim Criner debacle.

Cypwr

Mar 18, 2006
Ameskeny
I am surprised at the number of "converted" fans. While that is awesome that people came to the good guys, it is also somewhat disturbing they are outnumbering the "born" fans.
After reading thourgh all the post there seems to be a lot of people in this thread that started out in Eastern Iowa thus increasing the amount of converts.

Harry

Mar 27, 2006
Grew up in DM a big Drake BB fan. Moved to area the year Maury John moved to ISU. Started attending a few games and now have season tickets for BB and FB.

cj0227

Mar 21, 2006
Pleasant Hill
I was born in Marshalltown and started out as a Hawk's basketball fan. I was a huge Steve Carfino fan. Then I watched an ISU BBall game against the Huskers on TV. I believe Jeff Grayer punched a guy who was pushing Hornacek. Long time ago but I believe they were the players involved. I converted that day.

chiefsnclones

Sep 30, 2007
from K.C...always hated the jayhawks with a passion and still do, still love mizzou, but now i also like isu too and hate the other hawks--i didn't think any other fan base could be as dumb as kansas...then i met some hawkeyes. some may not like this but i still root for mizzou in football over isu, but i can't root against isu in Hilton!

CyGal

Mar 1, 2006
WDM
I wasn't born a Cyclone, but don't really consider myself converted. My family never EVER watched sports so I didn't really know ISU existed until my mom enrolled there to get her Masters. Shortly after, my brother and I would visit Durham to play on the computers and came to love the campus. After I met my husband it was a no-brainer. I started following Cyclones athletics and have never looked back. Graduted in '03 and now try to attend as many FB and MBB games as possible. GO CYCLONES!

CyBandCG

Dec 11, 2006
Ames, IA
I have a typical story, great up in CR as a hawk fan, decided to go to school at ISU and now I am a huge Cyclone fan. Great game last by the women!

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
Born in Kansas and all of my family is from Kansas. Moved to Iowa when I was in the 1st grade. I was solely a K-State fan until about my senior year in HS when I decided to go to Iowa State for school. Still follow K-State, but not like ISU now.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I was born and raised in Northern Iowa. Went to my first ISU BB game when I was 10, but considered myself to be a fan of both Iowa and ISU. Then, when I was in High School, I got a job working for KLGA radio station in Algona, manning the board, and reading the weather during the ISU football and basketball games that we broadcast. That was the mid 90's and I got to hear Tim Floyd's career start with a "bang," and D-Mac's start with a "meh." Many an hour I spent with nothing to do but listen to Pete Taylor call those games. Been hooked ever since.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Born into a family that cheered for both teams here in cedar rapids. my dad loved listening to Pete Taylor, so I paid more attention to ISU. the notion of cheering for both now just boogles my mind. went to ISU from 89-94, never looked back. you are either ISU or iowa. my wife on the other hand doesn't get it. she says, "how can you hate the hawkeyes, they have Iowa kids on the team" I just tell her evidently they weren't very smart in the 1st place for going to iowa, we don't need them.

crash_zone

Apr 10, 2006
Sioux Falls, SD
3rd generation ISU student (grandpa, dad, me). ISU for life, will never change. But I currently cheer for KSU as well because I'm working on another MS from there

Cy Hard

Jan 5, 2008
Polka City
I was born an ISU fan with the first onsie ever put on me by my parents, both ISU grads. Grew up in Ames and have gone to games since my mom deemed me old enough which was at birth, unless freezing out. That took about a year! Rolled down the hills of Jack Trice during halftime with my brother, both now ISU grads. Now my son and soon my baby daughter are rolling down those same hills and will ( as long as I have a say so) do the same.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
Born in NE so I was pretty much a husker fan until I decided to come to ISU and dove in head first to being an Iowa State fan. Remember the first time I watched ISU play was when they were at the Smurf Bowl. That was then followed by the entire LE scenario, and then my first year at ISU was '03, and we all remember how great that year was.

I've also got one of the worst sports families to live in also. We are all fairly competitive and we do tend to trash talk. The allegiances in my family breakdown something like this:

Dad - Went to UVA for undergrad and law. His loyalty is there, and then equally roots for our teams (except when we play his team).
Oldest Sister - Went to KU.
Oldest Sister's BIL - Went to KU for undergrad, UNL for law.
Older Sister - Went to UVA
Me - ISU
Younger Brother - Did a year at KU and then transferred to UNL.

Needless to say, I'm a bit outnumbered when it comes time for FBall and BBall season. Anybody else in a similar situation (other than the hawk families?)

Cymaster

Jun 14, 2006
Born and raised. The sad part, that I don't like to tell people much, is that I was born in Iowa City. (Why can't ISU have a pharmaceutical program?!) The parents and myself moved to Michigan for nine years when I was six months, and was raised to be a Cyclone when I didn't even realize what being a Cyclone was.

Try being the only hard core Cyclone fan in your entire school (thanks a lot Gallery family). You can imagine how much my hatred for all things Hawkeye grew.

I know a LOT of people that have converted from Hawkeye to Cyclone. I have yet to meet somebody that has gone the other way........

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Grew up in Chicago and rooted for Illinois. As soon as I decided I was going to ISU, I was a dedicated Cyclone fan, and that was during the late Walden years.