Bohls - Austin Statesmen: Big 12 don't get complacent

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Kirk Bohll's from the Austin Statesman does not agree the Texas TV deal is good for the Big 12

"While this doesn't suggest Texas is seriously considering striking out on its own as an independent, that may only be semantics. Texas is already operating as an independent to a large degree."

"But considering Texas and five other Big 12 schools came within an eyeblink of aligning with the Pac-10 last summer, the rest of the conference schools have to be put on notice not to get too complacent."

If money talks, Horns' network deal is $peaking volumes

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I love this nugget from your article:

"When I asked Dodds specifically about ever launching out solo, he said, 'Absolutely no. We have no thoughts of moving and no thoughts of becoming an independent. We love our conference.'
Until they don't."

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Kirk Bohll's from the Austin Statesman does not agree the Texas TV deal is good for the Big 12

"While this doesn't suggest Texas is seriously considering striking out on its own as an independent, that may only be semantics. Texas is already operating as an independent to a large degree."

"But considering Texas and five other Big 12 schools came within an eyeblink of aligning with the Pac-10 last summer, the rest of the conference schools have to be put on notice not to get too complacent."

If money talks, Horns' network deal is $peaking volumes

So the Pac10 is going to try to poach the other 4 teams again? I thought aTm was going to the SEC?

Why is this bad for ISU again?

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
If Texas went independent, I think it would be hilarious if AD's from all the BCS conferences got together and black-balled them from their schedules. If you can't schedule any BCS opponents, you may win all your games but you will never make the BCS championship.

Same goes for Notre Dame. But I don't recall a single top-tier team they played this last year anyways, so who knows.

AustinCyclone

Nov 17, 2006
Austin, TX
Take this one with a HUGE grain of salt. People in Austin don't give Bohls an ounce of credibility so there is no reason for anyone else too.

He is the Austin newspaper version of the talking heads that you guys have to deal with up there on the radio.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Take this one with a HUGE grain of salt. People in Austin don't give Bohls an ounce of credibility so there is no reason for anyone else too.

He is the Austin newspaper version of the talking heads that you guys have to deal with up there on the radio.

I guess I just missed the part that was scary for us. The "Forgotten 5" aren't five anymore until the Pac 10 tries to poach OU, OSU, TTU and aTm. If UT and aTm only go, that's still an AQ league that can do some poaching and get back to a 10-12 team AQ league.

Boomer

Jun 7, 2010
Guys with deal Texas has the deal OU is about to get, theses schools are Independent.. That doesn't mean we are heading out ala ND or BYU, it just means these schools have a separate revenue source

Texas & OU being fat and happy = stability for this conference

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I guess I just missed the part that was scary for us. The "Forgotten 5" aren't five anymore until the Pac 10 tries to poach OU, OSU, TTU and aTm. If UT and aTm only go, that's still an AQ league that can do some poaching and get back to a 10-12 team AQ league.

There is a 0% chance that OU wouldn't go to either the Pac 10 or SEC if UT/A&M left the B12

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
I love this nugget from your article:

"When I asked Dodds specifically about ever launching out solo, he said, 'Absolutely no. We have no thoughts of moving and no thoughts of becoming an independent. We love our conference.'
Until they don't."

I like how UT thinks it's their conference (it probably is) not We love being in the Big 12 but "We love our conference." At this point I would almost welcome UT going indy and adding BYU - we would still have the state of Texas in the footprint and would add a school that would be a good fit and would love to be part of a BCS conference.