Bobby Bowden illness

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Legendary Florida State football coach Bobby Bowden has been diagnosed with a terminal medical condition, the Tallahassee Democrat confirmed with the family on Wednesday. Bowden, 91, coached the Seminoles from 1976-2009, building the program into a national power by amassing a 304-97-4 record over that span. He won 12 ACC titles and two national championships. FSU's national titles under Bowden came in 1993 and 1999.

JimmyChitwood

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 3, 2015
Southern Iowa
Hate to hear that, but at 91 years that's a good, long life lived. One of the legends, for sure.

Oh, and Seneca was in.
Legendary Florida State football coach Bobby Bowden has been diagnosed with a terminal medical condition, the Tallahassee Democrat confirmed with the family on Wednesday. Bowden, 91, coached the Seminoles from 1976-2009, building the program into a national power by amassing a 304-97-4 record over that span. He won 12 ACC titles and two national championships. FSU's national titles under Bowden came in 1993 and 1999.

The guy built a crap FSU team to one of the best in college football for years.
One hell of a coach.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
The guy built a crap FSU team to one of the best in college football for years.
One hell of a coach.
Their philosophy to gain traction and respect was to offer to play any team, anywhere. They were independent at the time (Like ND, PSU were and ND still is) so no conference slate to give them the chance to win respect that way.

Last edited:
Reactions: cyclones500

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Sorry to hear this. Never have been an FSU fan, but the guy was a heck of a coach

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
An icon for sure.

Coached until he was almost 80 if my math is correct. Kind of impressed he last that long...sometimes folks wane off after they stop doing what kept them going for so long.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
My favorite coach all time. Took FSU when they were an independent and considering cancelling Football and made them into a national name brand.

I seem to remember to build the brand their scheduling strategy, at least early on, was "We'll play anyone, anywhere."

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Bowden had one sub-.500 season at FSU -- his first one, in 1976.

14 straight double-digit win seasons (1987 to 2000).
Yep, 14 straight Top 5 finishes and if his kickers had made a couple of kicks vs Miami probably would have another couple more Titles.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Was looking him up because I realized I didn’t know much about his time before FSU. Didn’t know he coached at WVU first. A couple of interesting tidbits I saw on his wiki:

He was a multi-sport coach, as well as a coach/AD, who fired himself as a basketball coach.

“Bowden served as an assistant football coach and head track and field coach at Howard College (now known as Samford University) in Birmingham, Alabama from 1954–55. He left his alma mater to become athletic director as well as head football, baseball, and basketball coach at South Georgia College from 1956 to 1958.[14] After a losing basketball season, Bowden fired himself as head coach.”

Also, thought this was cool, but of course the NCAA had to be douchebags.

“During Bowden's first year as head coach at WVU, the football team of the state's other top-division school, Marshall University, were killed in a plane crash. He asked NCAA permission to wear Marshall jerseys and play Marshall's final game of the 1970 season against Ohio, but was denied. In memory of the victims of the crash, Mountaineers players put green crosses and the initials "MU" on their helmets. Bowden allowed Marshall's new head coach Jack Lengyel and his assistants access to game film and playbooks to acquaint themselves with the veer offense, a variation of the option offense which aids teams with weak offensive lines. Lengyel credits Bowden with helping the young Thundering Herd recover.”

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Comedian Tim Wilson does a funny bit about Bobby Bowden. He also talked about disliking Steve Spurrier because he ran up scores on schools like "DeVry University".