boat repair

ruflosn

Dec 21, 2008
Anyone know of any good boat repair shops around Ames? I have an outboard that isn't running good.

cdekovic

Mar 25, 2006
Ames
You might be better served taking it to Brightwell's, Water's Edge or Heartland boats. Not sure Ames would have much.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Anyone know of any good boat repair shops around Ames? I have an outboard that isn't running good.

I would recommend Dave's Marine on 2nd Ave in Des Moines. Those guys are good down to earth guys and will be straight with you. I once took a boat to them and they told me not to repair it. How many places turn down a $5,000 repair? I have also used Brightwells and thought they did a good job to. They have a shop at the Saylorville Marina so that isn't to far from Ames.

ruflosn

Dec 21, 2008
yesterday it would run in idle but would not go into higher rpm's. Today I had the carbs cleaned, and now it is not getting any spark. Finally got it started and then it would not shut off by the key, had to be choked to shut it down. Anyway, I think it is an electrical problem and have found someone in my hometown to look at it.

What is it doing wrong? Outboards can be easy to fix with enough experience and
good advice.

Bwalk

Mar 21, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Old thread resurrection but I have a 1978 Glastron boat that was passed down to me this weekend. My Dad got the motor running pretty well but the prop only spins slowly when you put the throttle down. It has a MerCruiser 898 inboard/outboard motor. I called around (Dave’s and Water’s Edge) and haven’t found anyone that repairs this old of a boat. Anyone have any ideas? I’m not handy nor do I have a lot of free time so diving into it myself isn’t really an option.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Old thread resurrection but I have a 1978 Glastron boat that was passed down to me this weekend. My Dad got the motor running pretty well but the prop only spins slowly when you put the throttle down. It has a MerCruiser 898 inboard/outboard motor. I called around (Dave’s and Water’s Edge) and haven’t found anyone that repairs this old of a boat. Anyone have any ideas? I’m not handy nor do I have a lot of free time so diving into it myself isn’t really an option.

What part of the state you located or what lakes do you usually hit?

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007

If there is no grinding noise, then my best guess would be a spun prop hub.

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
No grinding noise banging or anything else, I would check the prop hub. If you own an old boat you really need to be able to work on it yourself or have a "boat" load of money. If you have a boatload of money you should buy a new boat.

Boats require maintenance even if they are used very little. Boat shops cost a lot of money for labor and diagnosis. Some of the manufacturers have gone out of business and parts are no longer available, such as OMC.

Help Support Us

Become a patron