Boat Buying Advice???

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Not really needing boat buying advice, but thought I’d tag into this thread.

My wife’s father recently passed. Him and his wife own a small 5 passenger boat they bought used in 1988, fiberglass with outboard motor. We believe the boat has not been in the water since 1999, and has sat in storage since then. We have moved the boat out of storage recently and need to decide what to do with it. My question is do I even try to get this motor running? Does anybody know a reputable boat mechanic in the central Iowa area? I know nothing about this stuff, but the thought of taking of the fam out on this thing has latched onto my brain.
Take it to Dave’s Marine in Des Moines … they will let you know what you should do with it.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Had called them prior to reading this. Was told they don’t work on anything older than 1990. Mother in law is telling me it’s a 1971. Vintage!!

It would be cool to get going, but not a boater so no recs from me.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
The closer I get to having enough money to buy a boat, the more expensive of a boat I want.
It's a very odd supply/demand graph that I've come upon.

My supply/demand curve crossed and I pulled the trigger. 2009 Mastercraft X-14 with 475 hours on it.
Had a friend selling and he told me about it over beers. We were on the water the following day and I owned it a week later. My tan is amazing right now.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron