Boat Buying Advice???

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
My wife and I were fully prepared to purchase a boat last summer until literally every boat owner we know said don’t do it.

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
My wife and I were fully prepared to purchase a boat last summer until literally every boat owner we know said don’t do it.
They’re just trying to keep the numbers down at the lake!
I went to Big Creek Friday morning to fish and at 9am there had to have been 25-30 boats there. It’s nuts, everyone is picking up new hobbies.

• Agree
Reactions: ATCy

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
They’re just trying to keep the numbers down at the lake!
I went to Big Creek Friday morning to fish and at 9am there had to have been 25-30 boats there. It’s nuts, everyone is picking up new hobbies.
Anybody catch any fish? I was there the week before and there were about 30 boats and no fish.

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
How many hours are registered on the motor. Does he have the services records. How much does he pay for storage etc.

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
If it hasn't been in the water, I would bet the seals in the outdrive need to be looked at. It could run fine initially but have expensive problems if water gets in.
See how many hours are on it.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
I've been a boat owner going on 21 years. If the owner is serious about selling he needs to get it running or give you a deep discount on the price with the balance to be paid less costs to get running once running. Was it winterized properly? A cracked block would be a huge expense.

What is the boathouse situation and how big is the body of water it is on? If you can't pull it you are stuck there. Do you have access to a SUV/truck to pull it on occasion?

I recommend taking a boating course/safety class if you don't have a boating background.

$4,000 is a pretty low entry cost to give boating a try, but just know what you might be getting into.

The boathouse is on a river between 2 lakes and one is Lake Winnebago, which is the largest lake in Wisconsin. This also gives access to the Wolf and Fox Rivers and several other pretty large lakes. Boathouse is just under a grand a year and you can store all year there. I figure that if I really love boating and want to bounce around I could just buy something to tow it with in the future.

Reactions: DarkStar and NWICY

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
You need to know what you are getting into. Is this a fiberglass boat? Is the hull solid everywhere. I would definitely want to have a test drive for that kind of money. Borrow a battery from someone if you have to. Lots of people have a battery or two in things that don't get used a lot, like campers or old trucks. Make sure that the engine sounds good, the gears shift good. A lot of inboards are killed by not draining the water out of the block before winter. If it doesn't idle very good, run away.

I have recently bought an 16 foot fishing boat for $2000. 89 Sea Nymph. It seems like a decent deal so far, but I have spent an additional $300 upgrading stuff and adding some features like headlights, radio etc.

Last edited:

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
Most concerns have already been covered. My only statement would be is that a 3.0 mercruiser can be an absolute dog in a heavy boat (which Sea Rays are). I’ve been around boats whole life and owned many. As a boat to pull tubes, skiers, etc I’d only own a 4.3 or the 5.0 from that era of boats.

It’s a fine I/O if you are just cruising and pulling small kids. Beyond that the boat will struggle IMO. Prop choice will have a huge impact.

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
Before I bought mine, I was told-- "A boat is a hole in the water where you throw money."

Spent hundreds of hours on Tablerock Lake in my Glastron/EvinrudeOB. Had tons of fun and only cost was gas and a new prop.
This. Even if it does cost you money, what doesn’t? Is bar hopping or golfing free? We all choose to spend our money how we want. My boat wasn’t cheap, but it’s my entertainment, my fishing vessel, and family time. I don’t go to Disney. To me that’s throwing money in a hole.

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
Most concerns have already been covered. My only statement would be is that a 3.0 mercruiser can be an absolute dog in a heavy boat (which Sea Rays are). I’ve been around boats whole life and owned many. As a boat to pull tubes, skiers, etc I’d only own a 4.3 or the 5.0 from that era of boats.

It’s a fine I/O if you are just cruising and pulling small kids. Beyond that the boat will struggle IMO. Prop choice will have a huge impact.
I wouldn't have less than 4.3. you are right about the 3.0

Reactions: aauummm

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
Boats are always going to be both a pain in the a**, and a pleasure experience you can't imagine being without. Either just accept that, or don't and move on to another hobby. We bought last year. Love it. Hate it. But can't see right now being without one.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
I echo the following sentiments:
- Buy the batteries and make sure the boat runs. I've had buddies get screwed with assuming things are ok, only to find out later the seller was a giant POS.
- If you want to buy a boat, go buy it. Have a great time with your family, and worry about the money when you're dead.

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
Before I bought mine, I was told-- "A boat is a hole in the water where you throw money."

Spent hundreds of hours on Tablerock Lake in my Glastron/EvinrudeOB. Had tons of fun and only cost was gas and a new prop.
And if you have the extra money for a nice boat, why not get one? Boats can be pricy, but if you make enough to cover the expenses it’s worth the fun times.

Reactions: legi

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Pontoon with an outboard motor would be my recommendation. Easier to maintain. If you like boating. Then upgrade after some time

Inboard/outboard motor repairs are very pricey. Coming from someone who's dad just sold a 91 Sea Ray

• Informative
Reactions: aauummm

Help Support Us

Become a patron