Bo Schembechler and sexual abuse

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The ingredients for MASS COVER UP generally involve a long standing and uber-successful coach. A program with massive amounts of power in their conference and nationally. And a fanbase that treats their coach/program like gods. You basically need to have a coach/program that's considered "untouchable".

ISU has never had that kind of coach, program, or fan idolatry for any sport. So chances are low that we've covered up anything THAT bad.

Catholic church sexual abuse scandal checks the exact same boxes you listed.

• Agree
Reactions: cyhiphopp

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Sexual abuse is not a joke. But these weren't 10 year-old gymnasts, they were D-I football players. At some point why didn't someone just beat the guy to a bloody pulp?

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Sexual abuse is not a joke. But these weren't 10 year-old gymnasts, they were D-I football players. At some point why didn't someone just beat the guy to a bloody pulp?
The power of handling it internally and the shame brought to those that are abused can be overwhelming where logical thought evaporates.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
The Catholic church stuff is so pervasive it is quite insane. Back in the day guys in the cathodic high school would openly talk about "The List" The priests you should never to be alone with.

Sad thing is that it’s been even more pervasive in the Boy Scouts. I hope we get past a culture of hiding it.

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
Surprised nothing has dropped yet from Norte Dame. Insular town. Football cult. Catholic University. The ingredients are all there.
Naw, they would have transferred the problem individual somewhere else ASAP and hoped it didn't happen again. All joking aside, I don't think ND ever had a coach who stayed long enough to become bigger than the program or the university like Paterno at Penn St or Schembechler at Michigan. I really don't think the Catholic Church would allow a lay person to accrue that level of the power at a position provided by the Church, indirectly or not. Now, if they ever hired a HC that was also a priest...

Few would have risked going to prison to help Chiz in a massively illegal enterprise.

I'm guessing a majority of the state of Nebraska would have gladly covered up heinous crimes in the 80s or 90s to protect the Gobi Gred.
There's plenty of unconfirmed stories about alleged victims of Nebraska players being summoned to Osborne's office for a chat about the situation, as well as rumours of the coaching staff holding on to key pieces of evidence until the conclusion of the season. So, nothing to level of their Big10 contemporaries, just garden variety tampering with witnesses, evidence and obstruction of justice.

• Informative
Reactions: Peter

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron