Blowout win vs down to the wire thriller

What type of win is more entertaining for you to watch?

• Blowout victory

Votes: 149 72.0%
  • A down to the wire thriller

Votes: 58 28.0%

• Total voters

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
I like a beat down of the Hawks as much as the next person, but last night left sort of an odd feeling. How the heck does one gloat after that? It would be like thumping my chest after the Lindenwood game.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
The blowout victory by Niang and crew in Iowa City was pretty memorable for a bunch of moments throughout the game, but the 20+ point comeback will always be up near the top with the likes of the Lafester game.

Last night's 5 point play will be something that is brought up years down the road.

Reactions: Jdk

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
Watching the 99-00 team destroy UCLA 80-56 in the Sweet 16 was pretty great. Especially after UCLA blew out Maryland and lots of talking heads were hyping up the Bruins. It was utter domination of arguably the greatest college program of all time from wire to wire.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Against Iowa? Give me the blowout every time. Winning a close game against Iowa usually just means relief because we are the better program.

Hilton doesn't get any better than a tight game against a good Kansas team.

Reactions: VeloClone

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
If it's ISU blowout. If it's any random game I'm watching close.
This is the answer for me. Sure, tight games are generally more memorable, but it is excruciating to watch if I actually have a rooting interest in the outcome. There is nothing I enjoy about watching ISU in a close game. Tight games are a blast to watch if I don't care about either team.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I love the excitement and energy of close games. But I’m 41 and a lifelong Clone. I’ve endured enough Cardiac Clones to know they can be incredibly frustrating… and we don’t have a long history of winning them.

Give me a blowout every time.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Blowouts are more entertaining but close wins are more rewarding. The problem is the close loss is also more devastating.

I can enjoy a blowout more because I’m not stressed just enjoying the fun.
The moments when you are hanging on a razor's edge between elation and devastation can be excruciating.

Reactions: NWICY

JimDogRock

Feb 21, 2010
Cedar Falls
The objective answer, if the goal is better NCAA Tournament seeding, is a blowout.
NET Ranking currently values winning margin up to 10 points and net efficiency.

Psychologically, for the players & coaches, you could argue that close wins are better experience for the team's growth.
For my gastrointestinal health I'll stick with the blowouts please.

Last night's game will be memorable but not to the same level as other noteworthy games that have been mentioned. We had some good performances, and the team probably played its best game of the year so far. But the competition level was lacking.

Allikat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2018
I picked blowout because IMO it is more fun to watch when we are playing well.

If it is a blowout - chances are that is the case.

If it is down to the wire and both teams are playing well then, yes, that is a blast (so long as the good guys win or the refs don't dictate the outcome).

However, often a down to the wire is because we are playing to our competition - those games I HATE watching.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Do not like close games, especially when that silly point or two goes to the other side right at the end and you have a stroke for nothing.

Blowouts allow you to watch the plays, the players, the paint, the backcourt, the crowd. You can also text or do your taxes during the game.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
This completely depends on the competition. I've turned off blowout wins versus bad non-com teams not named Iowa. So those are clearly not entertaining me like the question asked in the poll.

During conference season, blowout wins are cool because you get to see the players enjoyment on display, but those back-and-forth games and last-second victories are what makes CBB so damn fun.

Help Support Us

Become a patron