Bill Snyder battling serious health issue

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I took a quick discrete pic of him and his wife while we were in the waiting room at KU Med at the beginning of January.

I didn't want to intrude, but I eventually stepped over to him, told him I was an Iowa State fan that had a lot of respect for him and then shook his hand. He was very gracious.

He is a great person that unfortunately happens to coach a team that has gotten the better of us over the years. I hope he battles whatever he is fighting with the same tenacity that his teams battle us.

Thats really creepy ,Im sure Sharon appreciated having discrete pictures taken while they are in a clinic. You don't want to intrude, but taking pics of him and his wife without their knowledge is kind of intruding am I right?

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Thanks. I don't know your staff or team well enough to recognize abbreviations. I presume "Coach Del" was the previous QB coach. Who is "Coach Mo"?
"Mo" Lattimore is the black coach in front of Snyder. "Del" Miller is to Mo's right as you look at the picture. Others there included Bobby Stoops to the left of Snyder and Mark Mangino to the right, then Mark Stoops. Second from the left in the back row is Jim Leavitt, who if Snyder left now would likely be the new head man at State.

1990_KSU_football_Staff_1_t640.jpg

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Thats really creepy ,Im sure Sharon appreciated having discrete pictures taken while they are in a clinic. You don't want to intrude, but taking pics of him and his wife without their knowledge is kind of intruding am I right?
No doubt. Taking pictures of a sick guy in the hospital...I have no words.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
K-State’s Bill Snyder Addresses Health Situation

MANHATTAN, Kan. – Kansas State head football coach Bill Snyder addressed today reports of his current health, which will not affect his duties leading the Wildcat program.

“I feel bad having to release this information about my health in this manner prior to sharing it in person with so many personal friends, distant family, players and their families, past and present, and many of the Kansas State football family so close to our program,” Snyder said. “But, with so much talk presently out there, I certainly owe it to everyone to make them aware of my condition.

"I have been diagnosed with throat cancer and have been receiving outpatient treatment at the KU Medical Center for about three weeks and am getting along very well. The doctors and staffs at both KU Med and M.D. Anderson (in Houston, Texas) have been great; working so very well together to finalize the overall treatment plan which is being conducted in Kansas City. Both ‘teams’ have projected a positive outcome and have worked out a schedule that allows me to be in Kansas City for my regular treatments and still be back in the office on a regular basis through the first week of March. Sean, along with our coaching and support staffs, remain highly productive in carrying out their responsibilities keeping us on track.

"I greatly appreciate our President, Richard Myers, and Athletic Director, John Currie, for their continued support, and I’m very grateful to those who have responded over the past 24 hours via calls, texts, emails, etc., with such kind thoughts and words. And again, my apology to each of you whom I did not have the opportunity to reach personally before this release.

"As I’ve said so often: we came to Kansas State University because of the people, we stayed because of the people and we came back because of you, the people. Nothing has changed.

"And most importantly, what an amazing personal family I have been blessed with: Sharon, our children: Sean, Shannon, Meredith, Ross and Whitney and their spouses, along with our eight grandchildren and one great grandchild, have been truly special and motivational for me and for each other during this brief setback. Sharon has made great sacrifices to help me through this and the kids are there every day with their love and encouragement. And today that same love and encouragement is coming from our Kansas State, Manhattan and community families.”

According to Snyder’s doctors, his prognosis is excellent. The hall of fame head coach fully expects to be on the field for the start of spring practice in March.

“Coach Snyder, his family, our football staff, student-athletes and athletics department administration have my full support,” said President Myers. “Coach is one of the most determined individuals I have ever met, and I know he will successfully complete this treatment program and be on the field with our student-athletes in no time.”

“Coach Snyder’s health is of the utmost importance, and he has our full support during this time,” Currie said. “We will provide all of the necessary accommodations he and his family need to ensure a smooth treatment process. He will remain our head coach during this treatment period, and we look forward to seeing him on the field this spring and in pursuit of career win No. 203 on September 2.”

K-State opens spring practice March 29 which will conclude with the Purple/White Spring Game on April 22.

• Optimistic
  • Informative
Reactions: NWICY and CYCLNST8

cyclonelifer

Jan 30, 2007
Manchester, England
daveharm.blogspot.com
Just read this... wow. I just finished treatment for throat cancer on the 3rd of January. He has 20 years on me and wish him the best. All I can say is it kicked me into the dirt. I still haven't returned to work and still trying to "learn" how to eat again.

Speaking generally and from my experience. The best way to treat throat cancer is with radiation. 30 days straight, and once a week having a biochemical agent (similar to chemo) to help the cancerous cells raise to the surface.

The first two weeks home, my skin around my neck, lips, and chin, continued to burn and peeled off like I had a nasty sunburn - but a lot worse. I still have a sore throat and have morphine pain patches to keep that in control. The worst part right now is my tongue. It just feels like it has been in a fire. Everything it is extended to any length, it feels like it will break in two.

I have lost the ability to produce salvia, so I carry a jug of water around. Not only having a constant cotton mouth, it also makes it hard to eat and to just swallow, because there is no lubricant.

When it started I weight 220 pounds... right now I'm at 188 and slowly gaining it back. I had a feeding tube put in for awhile, which helped but I couldn't keep it in me.

All cancers are nasty, going by what my oncologist said - throat cancer is one of the worst because there is no easy way to treat it and there are so many sensitive areas around it.

I wish him the best... I would be really shocked if he is able to coach all year. He might make the season, but I would forget about spring ball - get healthy first coach...

Godspeed

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Just read this... wow. I just finished treatment for throat cancer on the 3rd of January. He has 20 years on me and wish him the best. All I can say is it kicked me into the dirt. I still haven't returned to work and still trying to "learn" how to eat again.

Speaking generally and from my experience. The best way to treat throat cancer is with radiation. 30 days straight, and once a week having a biochemical agent (similar to chemo) to help the cancerous cells raise to the surface.

The first two weeks home, my skin around my neck, lips, and chin, continued to burn and peeled off like I had a nasty sunburn - but a lot worse. I still have a sore throat and have morphine pain patches to keep that in control. The worst part right now is my tongue. It just feels like it has been in a fire. Everything it is extended to any length, it feels like it will break in two.

I have lost the ability to produce salvia, so I carry a jug of water around. Not only having a constant cotton mouth, it also makes it hard to eat and to just swallow, because there is no lubricant.

When it started I weight 220 pounds... right now I'm at 188 and slowly gaining it back. I had a feeding tube put in for awhile, which helped but I couldn't keep it in me.

All cancers are nasty, going by what my oncologist said - throat cancer is one of the worst because there is no easy way to treat it and there are so many sensitive areas around it.

I wish him the best... I would be really shocked if he is able to coach all year. He might make the season, but I would forget about spring ball - get healthy first coach...

Godspeed

Good luck with your battle.

**** cancer

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC

I was hoping to drop this, because I don't want this to be about me. It's about a man I respect and his fight against cancer.

I took the pic over a month ago in a waiting room that had probably a hundred people in it. I was there supporting my SIL who was undergoing an extensive surgery for cancer, and seeing Bill Snyder sitting 5 feet from me caught me off-guard. I work with a guy that went to Kstate and was really just intending to show him the pic that I saw his coach. There had been no reports of him being sick at the time. I would have never taken the pic had I known.

In hindsight, I'll admit that taking the pic was bad taste and posting it here was a worse mistake given what we now know. I have removed that picture from my earlier post. The main point of my original post was to say that I ran into the guy and got the chance to shake his hand and let him know I respected him.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
@cyclonelifer good luck on your battle with cancer keep on beating it.

Statement by Snyder would expect nothing less from him, totally classy and thanking others.

Reactions: surly

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I was hoping to drop this, because I don't want this to be about me. It's about a man I respect and his fight against cancer.

I took the pic over a month ago in a waiting room that had probably a hundred people in it. I was there supporting my SIL who was undergoing an extensive surgery for cancer, and seeing Bill Snyder sitting 5 feet from me caught me off-guard. I work with a guy that went to Kstate and was really just intending to show him the pic that I saw his coach. There had been no reports of him being sick at the time. I would have never taken the pic had I known.

In hindsight, I'll admit that taking the pic was bad taste and posting it here was a worse mistake given what we now know. I have removed that picture from my earlier post. The main point of my original post was to say that I ran into the guy and got the chance to shake his hand and let him know I respected him.

Thanks for taking it down, I personally know alot of Sharon's family as they are all from central Iowa and they were not amused when I mentioned this pic being posted. It was kind of in bad taste.