Bill Self to OKC Thunder?

isudizzle13

Apr 15, 2007
Mankato, Minnesota
A few items of note:

* Don't get your panties in a wad Tuco, this is what happens when you're a big time program. Hell we deal with it with Fred all the time.
* Also, it's not ISU fans starting this rumor so let's get that straight.
* Westbrook and Durant have been staunch supporters of Brooks so firing him isn't gonna help you keep those two.
* NBA gonna NBA. When a team that should make the playoffs doesn't the blame game starts. Head coach and GM blame each other, fans pick a side, ownership feels they need to make a move. This is as dumb as the Bulls situation. If you stuck with Brooks through the last few years, why would you think of canning him now?
* TWolves fans are still talking about Izzo. Flip won't give up the dream of handing the job to him.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Thats nice.. To bad those two likely won't be there after next year regardless of who's coaching. Durant has said he feels no loyalty to OKC and will make his decision based on what's best for him. In other words he's not staying.
Granted I don't pay a ton of attention to the NBA (and haven't looked for info about the topic), but the only things I have heard Durant say are the opposite of this. He said he likes OKC, and such. I won't pretend to know anything, but Durant isn't the flashy superstar that generally comes with a big city like Washington. Also he has been in the OKC/Texas area for what 8 of the last 9 years. I know he is originally from the DC area, but I don't buy it. I think that this is similar to the Hoiberg situation where certain people can't understand why someone would want to be in Ames.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
So let me get this straight; if the Spurs beat the Pelicans last night as everyone expected then OKC and Brooks make the playoffs despite last year's MVP in Durant missing most of the season, a top 5 MVP candidate for this year in Westbrook missing more than a dozen games and of the the five best defenders in the NBA missing nearly 20 games in Ibaka and Brooks job status is not in question. In fact he probably gets talked up as doing a GREAT coaching job for getting that MASH unit to the playoffs despite all the injuries. But because the Pelicans pulled a win out of their rears and upset the Spurs to sneak ion the playoffs ahead of OKC, Scott Brooks should be fired? Only in the NBA. Why on earth would Bill Self leave Kansas, where he already gets paid MORE per year than Scott Brooks, to go work in the NBA where you are likely getting fired if anything out of your control goes wrong? I get he's from Oklahoma but that's silly.

I can answer that Tuco, because he might possibly want to take on the challenge with however big his ego is. Just because he makes more than Brooks now doesnt mean theyre not going to offer self more knowing they need to give him a big raise to get him there. Its not out of the question. I do agree with you bout the whole reasoning behind retaining Brooks but just like Fred to the NBA seems absurd to us and why....same applies to Self regardless if it makes sense to their current fanbase.

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
Why on earth would Bill Self leave Kansas, where he already gets paid MORE per year than Scott Brooks, to go work in the NBA where you are likely getting fired if anything out of your control goes wrong? I get he's from Oklahoma but that's silly.
How is this relevant? The Thunder could pay Self more than they were paying Brooks.

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
We have some overly sensitive douchnozzles around here. Misleading title? Please...a thread title is the topic of discussion, not a statement of fact. Apparently the recommended way to boost your ranking is to shamelessly critique the semantics of message boards. Ain't nobody got time for that.

As for Self, keep him in KU at all costs! The Big 12 doesn't keep its image as the "top conference" without him. And I need a good villain to hate on in conference!

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
So why do you think Self is showing interest? Maybe KU isn't that great...he'd be immortalized down there a la Hoiberg in Ames.
Now Self is "showing interest?" Who posted that on twitter, Jerry Meyer? Maybe he might go overseas with all the recruits heading over there...silly.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
If the Thunder was rolling in extra cash then James Harden would still be in OKC. They aren't the Lakers.

Completely different scenario there big guy. Theres a difference between paying a coach on a contract for 5 years at 7 mil a year as opposed to locking in the third option on the team for 100 mil over 8 years or whatever his contract was.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Now Self is "showing interest?" Who posted that on twitter, Jerry Meyer? Maybe he might go overseas with all the recruits heading over there...silly.

Heard it's a done deal, who will coach at KU next year? McDermott, Marshall, Gillispie?

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Thanks for starting another thread that tuco can jerk off to.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
The only college coach I've heard from the talking heads this morning in regards to possible replacement is Billy Donovan. He has the past flirtation with the magic to make this plausible I guess. Self IMO makes zero sense. Of course that means I agree with Tuco, which makes me seriously question my reasoning.
Honestly, NO college coach makes sense to replace Scott Brooks. If you're ****** that Brooks has failed to capitalize on having Durant and Westbrook are you really going to hire a college coach with ZERO NBA coaching experience? Self has been pretty open and honest about the NBA so I don't pretend to think it would never happen. He was a groomsman in San Antonio Spurs GM RC Buford's wedding and many KU fans see that as a possibility down the line when Pops retires. If the Thunder are dumb enough to can Brooks after the season they had I just don't see hiring a coach with zero experience in the NBA as a logical replacement just because he is from Oklahoma and has done well in college. That's just dumb business and Presti doesn't strike me as a dumb GM.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
Completely different scenario there big guy. Theres a difference between paying a coach on a contract for 5 years at 7 mil a year as opposed to locking in the third option on the team for 100 mil over 8 years or whatever his contract was.
Self already has a $50 million contract at Kansas.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Heard it's a done deal, who will coach at KU next year? McDermott, Marshall, Gillispie?

I don't know if it's a done deal but I'd by lying if I said I didn't think he'd go. I heard his family is bored of Lawrence and would like to get back to a more urban area. Daughter to transfer to OSU.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
Coaches salaries don't count against the cap.
Maybe they can explain to their fan base why they couldn't afford to sign both Westbrook and Durant and go over the cap at all. "We needed to pay a head coach with no experience more than all but two or three coaches in the league to not be taking a pay cut to leave his job". Gotcha. I love comedy hour. This is fun.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron