Big XII Men's tournament virgin

cyfan50438

Oct 31, 2007
Garner, IA
I am looking for some advice. I am planning to go to the Big XII Tournament in Kansas City. We have no tickets because I don't want to pay the double price for the tickets that Stub Hub and the other sites have. If I don't get tickets I will be content watching in the Power and Light District. How much do the scalpers usually sell the tickets for such fans as teams that were defeated. Any other things to do in the area etc.

Thanks!!

CyKings

Jun 5, 2013
Kansas City, KS
Depends on who's still in. As long as KU is in, prices will be high. If KSU stays in as well, that will affect prices some as long as they are in. The 3 biggest fan bases are by far and away ISU/KU then KSU... then there is a pretty big drop off. I've never bought from scalpers there... but I've been lucky enough to get in when they go on sale at Sprint Center.

Spanky

Oct 14, 2009
And according to KU fans, since ISU has passed them in attendance/passion, we've ruined everything...
But as they now say, (sniff), this tourney really doesn't mean anything."

CyNuts

Jan 23, 2015
Like the first poster said, it depends on who is still in it, but that's more for scalpers. So say KSU makes it to the second round, scalpers love it because there's a big fan base there that will be buying up tickets to that next game. KSU lost the wednesday night game last year so Thursday morning there were tickets for sale everywhere when I was trying to dump my tickets for the early Thursday games. That's good news for anyone trying to find a ticket.

I had all of my tickets pre-purchased but had plenty of friends buying tickets around P&L that ended up with better seats than I had for the same price or less. You shouldn't have a problem finding tickets at prices less than face value on the first day, and depending on if they advance and who they would play on Friday. There's all sorts of black dudes with blu tooth scalping tickets in the P&L district. I would suggest venturing down one of the side streets (still around P&L) and try to find someone who doesn't have 200+ tickets they're trying to sell and see if you can find a better deal. Otherwise just try to haggle with one of the 'professional' scalpers close to game time because they'll be trying to get rid of them. I got mine in advance because I wasn't sure how the scalping was down there but really, if I go down again that's probably the route I'll go because you can end up with some pretty great seats for a reasonable price if you aren't totally naive. Good luck!

Edit: the face value for my championship tickets were $100. Now, it was a KU/ISU matchup (a scalpers wet dream) so tickets were going for $250-300 easily outside the arena, so I saved a lot of money there. I thought I either get to watch the clones battle for a big XII championship, or make upwards of $300 off of two tickets so I was making out well either way.

Last edited:

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Depends on the match-ups for Thursdays. Usually you can get in the door for a decent price. Anything on Friday is going to be a difficult ticket. Always has been and always will be as long as Kansas is good. I would imagine that if Iowa State and Kansas advance to Friday that tickets will be $125-$200 for uppers and $225-$400 for lowers. Saw a gentleman pay $1500 for 4 lower level tickets in 2014 for Friday's games. They weren't mid-court but that was the going price because demand was so high.

KCy

Jul 20, 2008
Kansas City
I've got 4 all session passes for sale. Was going to sell them at the sprint center individually and make some money. I would save myself the work and sell them for 375 each. PM if you want them.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
When KU lost two years ago and it was us and Baylor in the finals, I was able to scalp like 6 together for 60/each.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I wouldn't count on being able to sell tickets outside the stadium. There is going to be lots of competition.

Also, I have to think there are going to be lots of early round tickets available from big donors who are only going down on Friday or Saturday.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Hope I'm so, so wrong. But my fear is that there will be lots of tickets for sale after Thursday. And I've never felt that way before on my way to KC. But I don't question that it will be for a lack of determination and effort. Love our guys.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
First time I can't go in ages. Kind of bummed but think we are likely gonna lose early this year. Still a great time in the P&L. In years' past I have had no problem finding tickets right before tip of our games and always under $90 even against Kansas.

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
Hope I'm so, so wrong. But my fear is that there will be lots of tickets for sale after Thursday. And I've never felt that way before on my way to KC. But I don't question that it will be for a lack of determination and effort. Love our guys.

no doubt. It was heavenly the last 2 years. I'm afraid that window has closed.

DiehardClone

Jan 29, 2014
With Monte Morris and Georges Niang leading the way, ISU is 6-0 in Big 12 Tourney play. Not saying we'll win again this year, this could be the year we lose on Thursday. But I also think some of us are forgetting how amazing this team has played in the conference tourney the past two seasons.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I'll be at Kelly's on the upstairs deck pounding boulevards out of giant mugs for the first 2 rounds. Come join the fun. Then if we make it to the title game and we're not playing KU go to the game.

dsg4cy

Jan 4, 2015
Just use Craigslist or check here often for tickets when you get down there. I've used both to meet up with Cyclone fans to buy and sell. The scalpers outside the Spint Center are a pita. They'd rather eat tickets than sell them to you for less money.

Most years you can't even get rid of the opposite session Thurs/Friday tickets down there. We almost always just end up going in to watch the other games.

Trojbrown

Mar 23, 2012
West Des Moines, IA
#1 Rule - don't deal with ticket scalpers. They are an organized crime family. They are on the walkie talkies and raise prices at random...the closer to start time, the prices keep going up up up. Last year, it was $250 for nose bleeds. Once the game started, it shot up to $300. When I informed him that the game was already 6 minutes into the 1st half, he took his cigar and burned the tickets in front of me when I offered $150 a ticket and said I insulted him. I went to the next guy and he did the same thing. They all have the lanyards hanging around their necks and carry walkie talkies, you can't miss them. They are definitely organized and criminals.

The best bet is to get to the fan base directly. Wait to see which teams get knocked out and approach them as they come out of the stadium (PREFERRED), in the Power & Light district or in a hotel lobby and offer to buy from them. A) You'll give them more money than the scalpers will B) They will be looking to unload their tickets

I had an Oklahoma guy sell his ticket to a scalper and he got $60. I then asked the scalper how much for that ticket and he said $250. The Oklahoma guy looked at me and said "sorry". I then told him I would have given him up to $150 for it and then I said "sorry" while the scalper laughed at us.

I ended up in the Power & Light district last year and it was still a blast if you don't mind standing on your feet 2-3 hours. There's nowhere to sit down and if you do find a spot, you won't be able to see the screen.

Last edited:

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
#1 Rule - don't deal with ticket scalpers. They are an organized crime family. They are on the walkie talkies and raise prices at random...the closer to start time, the prices keep going up up up. Last year, it was $250 for nose bleeds. Once the game started, it shot up to $300. When I informed him that the game was already 6 minutes into the 1st half, he took his cigar and burned the tickets in front of me when I offered $150 a ticket and said I insulted him. I went to the next guy and he did the same thing. They all have the lanyards hanging around their necks and carry walkie talkies, you can't miss them. They are definitely organized and criminals.

The best bet is to get to the fan base directly. Wait to see which teams get knocked out and approach them as they come out of the stadium (PREFERRED), in the Power & Light district or in a hotel lobby and offer to buy from them. A) You'll give them more money than the scalpers will B) They will be looking to unload their tickets

I had an Oklahoma guy sell his ticket to a scalper and he got $60. I then asked the scalper how much for that ticket and he said $250. The Oklahoma guy looked at me and said "sorry". I then told him I would have given him up to $150 for it and then I said "sorry" while the scalper laughed at us.

I ended up in the Power & Light district last year and it was still a blast if you don't mind standing on your feet 2-3 hours. There's nowhere to sit down and if you do find a spot, you won't be able to see the screen.

It is organized and family-like, but KC is one of the few places where scalping is not a "crime." The lanyards are their licenses to be legit scalpers. Technically, the fans selling tickets without the licenses are the criminals.

isutoad

Nov 12, 2008
IOWA
I fell tickets are going to be high for for all session except Wednesday evening. First time West Virginia and Texas Tech have been sell outs and not returned tickets. Oklahoma and Baylor are going to have a bigger fan base. If K State win prices are going to be high. I M O fans know what tickets are worth and not really any good buys.

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
I am looking for some advice. I am planning to go to the Big XII Tournament in Kansas City. We have no tickets because I don't want to pay the double price for the tickets that Stub Hub and the other sites have. If I don't get tickets I will be content watching in the Power and Light District. How much do the scalpers usually sell the tickets for such fans as teams that were defeated. Any other things to do in the area etc.
Just drink a lot of fireball and you will be ok. You won't care who wins or loses or if you go to a game.
Thanks!!