Big play Curvey and Deandre Jackson new BBQ

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Have to try it, Cornbred in Ames has awesome brisket.

I went there once and will never go back. It was after one of our 11 AM kickoffs so I got there around 3:30 and they were only serving "bar snacks". Who the f goes to a BBQ place for "bar snacks"? I decided if they can't serve there normal menu throughout the day I am not interested in going back.

Reactions: Macloney

Yaz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 29, 2018
Big fan of Q39 when I get through that area.

Last edited:

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
I went there once and will never go back. It was after one of our 11 AM kickoffs so I got there around 3:30 and they were only serving "bar snacks". Who the f goes to a BBQ place for "bar snacks"? I decided if they can't serve there normal menu throughout the day I am not interested in going back.

I wouldn't hold that against a BBQ place, if anything, I think that speaks to the quality of the food. After all, good BBQ takes time and space and you probably hit them up on an extremely busy day. Although I do wonder if you got to them where their lunch meat was all sold out but before their dinner supply was ready.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

They only make so much a day. I wouldn't hold that against them.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I wouldn't hold that against a BBQ place, if anything, I think that speaks to the quality of the food. After all, good BBQ takes time and space and you probably hit them up on an extremely busy day. Although I do wonder if you got to them where their lunch meat was all sold out but before their dinner supply was ready.

They weren't sold out. They said they only serve "bar snacks" between like 2 and 4:30, which I thought was dumb considering the after football game traffic would be showing up at the time I did.

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
They weren't sold out. They said they only serve "bar snacks" between like 2 and 4:30, which I thought was dumb considering the after football game traffic would be showing up at the time I did.

After looking looking at the menu, it looks like their 'bar snacks' section is pretty different then their craft meat sections and hand-helds so I am guessing their were sold out of their smoked meats like brisket, ribs, and pulled pork.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
After looking looking at the menu, it looks like their 'bar snacks' section is pretty different then their craft meat sections and hand-helds so I am guessing their were sold out of their smoked meats like brisket, ribs, and pulled pork.

No they weren't sold out. I went to order and they told me "we are only serving "bar snacks" until 4:30. At 4:30 we start serving our full menu." I thought that was completely stupid and left.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
No they weren't sold out. I went to order and they told me "we are only serving "bar snacks" until 4:30. At 4:30 we start serving our full menu." I thought that was completely stupid and left.

Your loss.

Their website had hours/info listed rather prominently (in the pre-COVID era).

Javinegli

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2013
Des Moines, IA
Can confirm, best BBQ in town hands down. Great guys running it too. One of the best pieces of brisket I've ever had!!

Attachments

• Resized_20200725_124048.jpeg
    Resized_20200725_124048.jpeg
    245 KB · Views: 91

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Can anyone compare it to Q39 or LC’s in KC? I’ll have to try it next time I’m in Des Moines

Comparable. I think the pulled pork was better, brisket is just different (they served it not sliced but it in the whole slab) ribs were very similar.

That said KC Joe's is my first love, but I do love sitting down at Q39.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Comparable. I think the pulled pork was better, brisket is just different (they served it not sliced but it in the whole slab) ribs were very similar.

That said KC Joe's is my first love, but I do love sitting down at Q39.
Samesies. There is also something a little classical about Jack Stack too.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I liked Cornbred as much as I've liked anything in KC or Texas. Probably better than anything in Des Moines, although I really liked Kue'd the time I was there.

Will definitely try out DJack and Big Play's joint the next time I'm in the Des Moines area.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

Go up the night before a game. We went the night before the UNI game last year, and had an exceptional full meal. They were busy, but not overrun. Service was excellent, and so was the food.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Personally I like Texas style which is most the places in DSM, KC is all about the sauce which I don't enjoy. Get a good rub on there and let the meat shine. (now those places may be Texas style instead of KC style but I haven't heard of either).
I will agree but Texas sauces all taste the same. A good rub is most important but I like some sauce for dipping.

Reactions: JP4CY

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Go up the night before a game. We went the night before the UNI game last year, and had an exceptional full meal. They were busy, but not overrun. Service was excellent, and so was the food.
Cornbread is good and I hope that people support it. They made that whole odd depot area look so damn nice.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I've been gone for about four years now, sadly I haven't tried Cornbread bbq yet. I see tons of street cred for them on here.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron