Big 12/ Pac 12 Merger (keep all the teams)

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
Not totally true. We had done an expansion look just a year or so before and it was shot down (guessing by OuT). So we know how we stood with several schools and which ones were the best to add.
Is that the expansion look in 2016 with BYU and others or a different one?

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
The comparison is at the macro level.

In 2021 when Texas and OU's departure leaked, almost every fan base of the remaining 8 teams was panicked. In the days following the announcement we didn't know we'd be able to bring in the 4 new members.

In 2022 the fan bases of most PAC schools are panicked.

The uncertainty is comparable. Stating with a straight face "the PAC is toast" or similar statements is simply a hot take.

You can look for and find minutia to say "this is different" and you are correct. But it's much more similar than not.
What’s similar? I really don’t see it. Is the PAC more valuable than reported projections? Is there some group of schools that they could invite that would accept at help close the gap? Are they going to go with unequal revenue distribution to keep some teams around?

There are tons of details that are unknown at the time, but I’m really struggling to understand reason for optimism from their point of view. I guess it could be similar in how the Big XII collectively and individually put themselves out there last year and didn’t find any takers. That could be true of the PAC, they could stick together simply for lack of better options. But as the decidedly #5 P5 conference, that’s not exactly something to be happy about.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
As long as Oregon, Washington and Stanford see a possible path to the B10, they would be silly to lock up their media rights with the Pac 12 or even the Big 12.

That is why we have to force them to choose, take the 4 corner schools now, and then tell Oregon and Washington, its now or never. They will first go to the B10, which will get them nowhere, the SEC might dabble a thought of moving out west, but they and the B10 want ACC and ND more.

Just make sure that there is no free passing on getting out of the GOR in the Big 12, you either sign up with us, hope you get the lifeline from the B10 or reform with the Mountain West. Give a couple years to decide, allowing UT and OU to leave, so the deadline is the 2024 football season.

Reactions: CascadeClone

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
PAC 12 and Bay area beat writer Jon Wilner was campaigning for a full merger before the B12 announced they wouldn't go forward with a full merger.

Now, today he tweets the B12 should go big and add 8 schools (leaving OSU & WSU behind) or stay at 12. This guy is a PAC 12 elitist and was NEVER posititive about the B12. It shows we have the upper hand.

• Winner
Reactions: Gorm and PickSix

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
PAC 12 and Bay area beat writer Jon Wilner was campaigning for a full merger before the B12 announced they wouldn't go forward with a full merger.

Now, today he tweets the B12 should go big and add 8 schools (leaving OSU & WSU behind) or stay at 12. This guy is a PAC 12 elitist and was NEVER posititive about the B12. It shows we have the upper hand.

What's the logic in 8 or 0? Big12 would add whatever increases their payout or improves stability

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
What’s similar? I really don’t see it. Is the PAC more valuable than reported projections? Is there some group of schools that they could invite that would accept at help close the gap? Are they going to go with unequal revenue distribution to keep some teams around?

There are tons of details that are unknown at the time, but I’m really struggling to understand reason for optimism from their point of view. I guess it could be similar in how the Big XII collectively and individually put themselves out there last year and didn’t find any takers. That could be true of the PAC, they could stick together simply for lack of better options. But as the decidedly #5 P5 conference, that’s not exactly something to be happy about.
They have to show a positive mood in public but I don't think it is in reality. I think the twitter posts from PAC 12/Bay writer Jon Wilner I posted earlier show that.

The PAC 12 loses the LA market with USC/UCLA gone. The B12 loses the best teams from the DFW & Texas market but they still retain the market with interest from having TCU, Baylor, TT & OSU. Then they added Houston helping them reduce the losses in the Houston market. Its not a positive for the B12 but the league is still a solid 2nd in the area.

Then the B12 added the 4 best teams. If the PAC can stay together Stanford & UW are gone in a split second from a B1G invite(I don't think the B1G will invite Oregon due to how they rank schools). The PAC can't sustain that. The B12 is minimally at risk of losing Kansas and will continue just fine in football if that happens. Also, I'm not sure what losing the access to southern California does to the UW & OR brands going forward.

The last point is the PAC would try to expand with 2-4 teams coming from teams the B12 rejected in their last expansion. Clearly, further diluting their product.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006

He knows WSU and OSU are Mountain West. So he wants to cut the losses. He knows the 4 Corners will go. And wants a merger. No. Big 12 accepts new members but it is not a merger. PAC 12 is gone.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

The fact that he's putting the ball in the big 12's court is telling, he's trying to make them in to some kind of boogie man if they don't take as many pac schools as possible. If the Pac can keep 10 together and add a couple of other teams, they could survive, similar to how the big 12 has made it. They can't do that though, us big 12 leftovers had no choice to but to stick together after the 3rd time we'd be raided. There are pac 12 schools with options still, including the option to go the big 12.

They are multiple steps behind the big 12, it honestly hasn't even gotten that bad for most of them yet. What happens to the pac will be because those teams are/aren't able to stick together, it's not about anything the big 12 or any other league right now. The bad guys are the schools with eyes on the b1g, the other schools know that and don't trust them long term, that's the real issue that will kill the league, not big 12 expansion.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
It's probably just wishful thinking on Wilner's part. He wants as much of the PAC together as possible.
Plus Wilner writes for the MecuryNews from San Jose CA. He's looking that the very real possibility his audience will go from P5 PAC12 to the MWC with CA schools who barely care now but will likely not at all if they are in a minor league. Not saying it is his driving force on news but he's future career and money are tied to the PAC10 surviving.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Plus Wilner writes for the MecuryNews from San Jose CA. He's looking that the very real possibility his audience will go from P5 PAC12 to the MWC with CA schools who barely care now but will likely not at all if they are in a minor league. Not saying it is his driving force on news but he's future career and money are tied to the PAC10 surviving.
BINGO. The guy's livelihood will be directly affected by an irrelevant PAC-10.

The guy is also likely speaking directly to AD's at schools who are about to see football wiped off the map. They are feeding him fluff to save their salaries as well.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
They have to show a positive mood in public but I don't think it is in reality. I think the twitter posts from PAC 12/Bay writer Jon Wilner I posted earlier show that.

The PAC 12 loses the LA market with USC/UCLA gone. The B12 loses the best teams from the DFW & Texas market but they still retain the market with interest from having TCU, Baylor, TT & OSU. Then they added Houston helping them reduce the losses in the Houston market. Its not a positive for the B12 but the league is still a solid 2nd in the area.

Then the B12 added the 4 best teams. If the PAC can stay together Stanford & UW are gone in a split second from a B1G invite(I don't think the B1G will invite Oregon due to how they rank schools). The PAC can't sustain that. The B12 is minimally at risk of losing Kansas and will continue just fine in football if that happens. Also, I'm not sure what losing the access to southern California does to the UW & OR brands going forward.

The last point is the PAC would try to expand with 2-4 teams coming from teams the B12 rejected in their last expansion. Clearly, further diluting their product.

Memphis and Colorado St to the PAC!

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
As long as Oregon, Washington and Stanford see a possible path to the B10, they would be silly to lock up their media rights with the Pac 12 or even the Big 12.

That is why we have to force them to choose, take the 4 corner schools now, and then tell Oregon and Washington, its now or never. They will first go to the B10, which will get them nowhere, the SEC might dabble a thought of moving out west, but they and the B10 want ACC and ND more.

Just make sure that there is no free passing on getting out of the GOR in the Big 12, you either sign up with us, hope you get the lifeline from the B10 or reform with the Mountain West. Give a couple years to decide, allowing UT and OU to leave, so the deadline is the 2024 football season.
They still have 2 seasons to work it out. There isn't a cliff there tomorrow.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
They still have 2 seasons to work it out. There isn't a cliff there tomorrow.
There might be. We, surely, didn't think there was a cliff with OUT. And, despite, our experiences, I can pretty much assure you the Pac12 didn't think there was a cliff with UsCLA. These days 'cliffs' can come out of nowhere.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
There might be. We, surely, didn't think there was a cliff with OUT. And, despite, our experiences, I can pretty much assure you the Pac12 didn't think there was a cliff with UsCLA. These days 'cliffs' can come out of nowhere.

We were fortunate with BYU. That was a very good addition. Cincinnati and Houston decent. UCF was based on geography and perceived growth. I do not see a way that PAC 12 has a future.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron