Big 12 Expansion (new thread)

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Started thinking about what a Big 12-SEC non-conference scheduling alignment would look like. I think something like this (formal or not) is likely if we don't get added to the Alliance.

Games to play most years:
*Texas Tech vs Texas
*Oklahoma State vs Oklahoma
*Houston or TCU or Baylor vs Texas A&M
*Kansas vs Missouri
*Cincinnati vs Kentucky - could become a new rivalry
*UCF vs Florida - see above

West Virginia vs Kentucky could also become a bordering-state rivalry.

Would be fun for Iowa State to rotate through a bunch of teams, maybe playing for the Telephone Trophy once every four or five years.

If ESPN paired teams for TV and team quality, we'd have gotten Alabama or Georgia this year...

clonehoodie

May 14, 2017
The Big 12 will be a much more competitive league.
Football will be tougher, as ISU won't get to play KU every year.
If i was a new basketball coach in the Big 12, i would not be happy right now.

• Agree
Reactions: WhoISthis

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
Did I miss some news, or is your imagination running away with you?

Schools with options will be leaving, I don’t think there can be any question about that.

i don’t know what’s available to Kansas, but we will see what happens.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
we don’t have the SEC luxury of 8 games and a late season Indiana State home game
It will be interesting to see if the SEC adheres to the 'only 8' conference game schedule. With the addition of OuT, and maybe more to follow, who knows. It has been advantage for them up to this point, record-wise, and for an extra home game.

Will espn have sway in that? I don't know. I'd think the SEC would like to keep it 8 games.

tman24

Feb 6, 2008
The new KU AD is not making very many friends in the Big 12. It may eventually work out in KU's favor but in the meantime I would be very afraid if I was a KU fan. Afraid that they won't make a favorable jump to another conference, let alone improve their standing in the new Big 12.

KU's athletic hires of late have been abysmal.

They should just drop football and turn into a Gonzaga.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
It will be interesting to see if the SEC adheres to the 'only 8' conference game schedule. With the addition of OuT, and maybe more to follow, who knows. It has been advantage for them up to this point, record-wise, and for an extra home game.

Will espn have sway in that? I don't know. I'd think the SEC would like to keep it 8 games.

Big Ten copied them a little this year with some of these early season games.

The way human rankings work it makes sense to put a few cupcakes late and a few big conference games early.

Reactions: WhoISthis

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
So you're against the Houston add?
There are a lot of transplants now in ATL. A good size population of ACC fans. GT as part of Clemson, FSU, UNC, Duke, UVA going to the BIG gets the BIG into Georgia And with linear revenue still a thing for at least 10 years, pays better than the next 6th option.

I could not disagree more on the SEC comment. What works for one conference means little to the another. SEC already has a presence in Georgia. The incremental gains for the two conferences from GT are FAR different. The SEC already may not have interest in another FL school, that does not mean those FL schools are not valuable to the BIG.

Many feel GT has enough value to the BIG, both on its own and in getting other ACC schools, that the SEC will burn a spot on them just to limit the BIG's gains

I think Ga. Tech is in question. Maybe it helps, maybe it doesn't. I don't like Ga. Tech as a 20th spot, 24th is a little better. I'm just saying it may be an addition that fails. I absolutely feel the SEC blocks the B1G from FSU, but I am less sure about Ga. Tech. If a miracle happened and the B1G could get FSU, Ga. Tech makes sense as a bridge.

I am absolutely on board for the Houston addition for the B12. IMO it wasn't addition number 4 it was more like 1 or 2.
Houston to the B12 is completely different than Ga. Tech to the B1G. There is so much synergy IMO for adding UH with the existing Texahoma schools, that it helps ratings in those 4 games where UH is involved. Granted, they were big opponents like OU but UH has had 5M 2x in the past 4-5 yrs. UH won't get those kind of numbers against B12 but it will be solid, they will also be a non-conference team other Power leagues schedule which will give good inventory for the league.

I will go one step farther, even though Houston is now an SEC market first planting a hometown B12 school will help B12 coverage in Houston as a solid #2 and make sure the B12 is not forgotten and to a lesser extent probably around the state. I think this will help the other Texahoma games ratings even when UH is not involved.

UH needs a good coach and to be relevant but I thought they were a no brainer from the beginning. I even thought the B12 with UT & OU could have afforded to add UH and one other school to go to 12 for some of those same reasons. But I think both UT & OU were reluctant to elevate UH.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
10 games with one team rotated off, unless some math/schedule person points out it’s not possible.

seems best way to maximize viewing inventory.

CG guarantees your one off team isn’t dodging best team.

would need some marquee non conf games though and not flubbing it like we did saturday
I really doubt we do 10 conference games plus CyHawk. I would think we need as many home games as possible.
10 conference games in a 12-team conference feels unwieldy, plus it doesn't necessarily mean more inventory either. A network gets more inventory in a 12-team conference if 7 teams are playing home non-conference games in a given week vs. all 12 teams playing conference games.

I think it's an open question whether 8 or 9 conference games will be better for this league.
It'd maybe nice to go to an 8 conference game schedule, but don't think that is realistic. The 'better' conference games will be important for our league TV revenue-wise I'd think.

We will stay at 9 games.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
The fact that you think Boise is being vetted on merit, rather than desperation, is the point

There aren’t any good adds to the new big aac after BYU, and maybe Cincinnati, and they still weren’t a choice.
It is undeniable Boise passed a lot of programs in the last 20 years.

Do you think the current Big 12, would be vetting them if they stayed the same as in 2001?

No. That is huge growth. Growth that does not happen if making more, but going 4-8.

Understand now?

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
Actually KU has invested quite a bit in football. The normal fans like HFCS haven't actually seen any of KU's facilities and judge KU on the stadium alone. They have a brand new football only indoor facility. Plus built all new training, weight room & lockers about a decade ago which they have upgraded a couple of times since then. Also have a really nice football dorm. The stadium is the absolute worst and so most fans judge KU by that. If there isn't a stadium remodel announcement sometime this fall I would be very surprised. That thing is trash.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
They had a decade where the B12 made nearly as much as SEC and Big Ten and they did very little to invest in football compared to almost the entire rest of the Big 12.

But their investment in former coaches is well above the conference average.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Actually KU has invested quite a bit in football. The normal fans like HFCS haven't actually seen any of KU's facilities and judge KU on the stadium alone. They have a brand new football only indoor facility. Plus built all new training, weight room & lockers about a decade ago which they have upgraded a couple of times since then. Also have a really nice football dorm. The stadium is the absolute worst and so most fans judge KU by that. If there isn't a stadium remodel announcement sometime this fall I would be very surprised. That thing is trash.
Whole heartedly agree with the bolded. It takes a lot to pay for three head coaches at once.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
I think Ga. Tech is in question. Maybe it helps, maybe it doesn't. I don't like Ga. Tech as a 20th spot, 24th is a little better. I'm just saying it may be an addition that fails. I absolutely feel the SEC blocks the B1G from FSU, but I am less sure about Ga. Tech. If a miracle happened and the B1G could get FSU, Ga. Tech makes sense as a bridge.

I am absolutely on board for the Houston addition for the B12. IMO it wasn't addition number 4 it was more like 1 or 2.
Houston to the B12 is completely different than Ga. Tech to the B1G. There is so much synergy IMO for adding UH with the existing Texahoma schools, that it helps ratings in those 4 games where UH is involved. Granted, they were big opponents like OU but UH has had 5M 2x in the past 4-5 yrs. UH won't get those kind of numbers against B12 but it will be solid, they will also be a non-conference team other Power leagues schedule which will give good inventory for the league.

I will go one step farther, even though Houston is now an SEC market first planting a hometown B12 school will help B12 coverage in Houston as a solid #2 and make sure the B12 is not forgotten and to a lesser extent probably around the state. I think this will help the other Texahoma games ratings even when UH is not involved.

UH needs a good coach and to be relevant but I thought they were a no brainer from the beginning. I even thought the B12 with UT & OU could have afforded to add UH and one other school to go to 12 for some of those same reasons. But I think both UT & OU were reluctant to elevate UH.

Synergy, or suffocating by breathing the same limited air?

Houston was added because it was considered to be adding an SEC city in which the current Big 12 member didn't have a hold on. With all the ACC alumni in ATL, but still an SEC city, GT would be similar to the BIG

Houston's standing in Houston, even with the other three, isn't terribly different than GT in ATL, but GT and the BIG have the linear model to extract revenue. BIG difference.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX

I'm hearing big donors putting and AD has a $210-MM FB facility / stadium improvement - all "supposedly" in hopes of getting a BIG / ACC invite. Who knows

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
They should just drop football and turn into a Gonzaga.

If the Big 12 has just a few defections and KU cannot stick anywhere else, wouldn’t shock me to see them go the UConn route of Big East basketball and independent football. Something like Pac-12 wants TCU, Houston, OSU, ISU, and B1G and ACC both say no way to KU.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron