Better staff ISU or Iowa

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Ballsy question to ask when ISU still has to make a couple more hires.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
If the recruits are really close to their grandfathers, they will probably pick Iowa.

FH won't be recruiting a single person who was alive when he played at ISU, and his NBA career isn't going to catch anyones eye.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
FH won't be recruiting a single person who was alive when he played at ISU, and his NBA career isn't going to catch anyones eye.

Well that's a stretch...

Fred is also a heck of a closer in age to most of these kids than Franny, so have to think that won't hurt anything. I don't really think age matters young or old. It all depends on the person. I've got a a cousin who's acted like he was 20 years older then he was his whole life while you meet some adults who have less sense than kids.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Haha, ya cuz Coach K is 63, Roy Williams is 59, Jim Boeheim is 65. KingClone--your an idiot

Your not comparing, Duke, North Carolina and Syracuse to Iowa when
it comes to basketball are you?

Perhaps a better an example, Johnny Orr was 53 when he came to Iowa State
and recruited pretty well. I would say the Iowa State program in the late 70's compares pretty close to the current situation at both Iowa & Iowa State.

Don't think age will be a factor.

I did see where ISU's newest commit for 2011 said something about Coach Hoiberg getting him to the next level i.e. the NBA. So Fred being a player and NBA exec will peak interest in recruits.

But years of connections in college ball and AAU will also produce results on the recruiting front too..

I think both formula's will produce results..

Last edited:

CyPride

Oct 12, 2008
FH alone is better than Iowa's entire staff. But, we'll just have to wait and see until it proves itself out.

KingClone

May 31, 2006
It's not the age of the head coach, but the staff as a whole. Iowa has one thirty-something and three fifty-somethings.

ISU has two thirty-somethings, one forty-something and one to be named later.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
There's 41 years of head coaching experience on Iowa's staff, the downside to that being that it all occurred in places that would have to go some to be obscure.

isufan1000

May 12, 2010
First off, and for the record I am a fan of the Hoiberg hire. I like Hoiberg and think he will be a great recruiter for us, my only concern is his lack of experience. This is why I posted the question about who has the better staff now that Iowa has recently hired their so called "recruiter" I guess you would call him. Second, my post about Roy Williams, Coach K, and Jim Boeheim's age was in response to KingClone's dumb*** post about age. Quite frankly that is one of the most idiotic responses you could make. I would love for you to show me one recruit anywhere who chose one school over another due to the age of the coach. Granted ISU and Iowa are nowhere near the caliber of Duke, Kansas, and Syracuse but the age of those coaches makes no difference what so ever. My point is that recruits choose schools on many reasons such as prestige, location, and the staff's experience/credentials...NOT THEIR AGE...It's tough to say at this point who's staff is better that is why I posted the discussion.

isufan1000

May 12, 2010
Stupid thread, and worst name ever trying to hide being a Hawk. ISUFAN1000? Really? Close this. Our staff isn't complete, this is idiotic.

is clone11 that much better of a name? really...sorry my username isn't creative enough for you.

Help Support Us

Become a patron