Better Pro? Lazard or Butler

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
i think Hakeem is raw but has more pro potential. Unless they use Lazard as a hybrid tight end like Shannon sharp. Hakeem still has two years left but can’t wait to see him become the prime target and see how he does.

ghyland7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2012
Hakeem will make plays which make him seem like the X that Oklahoma State always seems to have. He has the size and the speed. However, he makes almost as many boneheaded plays or drops. I'm sure he'll improve on that, but Lazard is the guy that if you throw it up, he will come down with it. He's tall enough and has good enough hands to play in the NFL. Butler doesn't have that clutch YET.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman and ISC

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
In the locker room interview, did Heft suggest that Butler may be leaving for the NFL??

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
In the locker room interview, did Heft suggest that Butler may be leaving for the NFL??

Let's hope not. I think Butler has a lot of pro potential, though he has to work on many things. He needs another good year into him before he could think about being drafted IMO. Two more good/really good years and he could be drafted highly. Unfortunately - too many dropped balls by him. Improve on that and he's a good NFL prospect.

FredCyclone

Sep 30, 2017
Lazard flips the Memphis helmet twice during the press conference awards. :) I am so happy that guy was able to get a bowl win, especially after the Rhoads era.

Reactions: isutrevman

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Butler has the NFL speed but he will have to work on ball retention. He'll be getting drilled by NFL DBs consistently and he'll have to hang on. Lazard's game is probably more ready for this type of hitting.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

spitfyr36

Dec 19, 2011
Have to go with Lazard, every team has wet dreams about those Jimmy Grahm type TE/WE combos. Butler will be solid with another year or 2 under his belt, but let's face it, straight up WRs are a dime a dozen.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Tough to say. If you're only talking about the WR spot then I'd say Butler if only because I'm not sure Lazard will be able to consistently get separation against NFL corners. I think a good NFL comp for him is Kelvin Benjamin. A big, physical receiver with a big catch radius and a knack for winning jump balls but not a burner. He might have more upside at the pro level as a hybrid type where he can get matched up against a linebacker or safety.

Butler reminds me a bit of Martavis Bryant. Lanky deep threat, deceptively fast and strong. I'm curious to see what he can do next year as the #1 receiver. Life will be a little bit different without #5 lined up on the opposite side.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
I’d be curious to see Lazard, Butler, and Eaton line up for a 40. Not sure who wins that.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
The NFL will love Lazards blocking and mismatch capability in the red zone. That's what separates them now but Hakeem has a couple years to prove himself as well. He could get a lot more chances to make plays now that Lazard is gone. You'd have to think he'll get the jump ball red zone shots next season. I could see him blowing up and leaving after a big jr year.

Oct 14, 2007
Ames
Success for both of them is going to depend a lot on where they get drafted. Lazard would be great as a third option possession type receiver. As a Dolphins fan I would love to see him go to Miami to compliment the two burners they have on the outside.
Neither one of them is going to be a team's first option, so it's going to come down to what scheme their team runs and how they fit into it.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Butler really need to work on catching the ball in traffic. Good speed and leaping ability, tough runner, etc., but even yesterday he dropped several passes when he got hit.

• Agree
Reactions: CTTB78

19clone91

Nov 21, 2013
Denver, CO
Butler has way more potential in the NFL as a receiver, but I think Lazard can really be a big-time TE in the NFL (think Kyle Rudolf). Butler is just faster, taller, and has much longer arms. Lazard has the physically and hands of a TE IMO

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Butler is a freak. He's a legitimate 6'6 with deceptive lateral quickness, speed, and strength. His lower body strength, for a guy who moves like he does is very good. Just like Lazard did last year, he drops too many balls. I think if he fixes that next year, he'll be gone due to a high target number and presumably more downfield passing. So, if they both get drafted to play on the outside, it's Butler. If people use Lazard on the inside as a mismatch problem where he can go up against LBs and Ss, they will be about the same.