Best Thin Crust Pizza In Central Iowa?

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I'll start positive here..
best thin chain pizza....Paul Reveres on Forest in Des Moines
best thin crust...George's. They have to find a way to re-enter the Ames market
place worth trying for something a bit different? wig and Pen by DMACC.

campus town...Pizza Pit. Can't beat beer, big screens and ok pizza from the Pit while at WAS (I still want to call it the Library, but that dates me). I like their Italian Beef sandwich even better.

And I'll end with a safety warning...
pizza I wouldn't eat even if a terrorist threatened my family? Great Plains. Over-rated and essentially cardboard crust with cheese and hair on it.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
I probably said it once in this thread already but anyone saying anything besides Pasquale's in Humboldt is blasphemy.

Walt76

Apr 11, 2006
When we lived in Ames we liked Black Market Pizza's thin crust.

We now live in WDM and our thin crust pizza's rankings are:

Bambino's - WDM
Michael's - Beaverdale
Noah's Ark - DM
Bordenaro's - DM
Scornovacca's - DM (the South location)
Tavern - Valley Junction location
Angelo's - WDM

Good list. Coach's Pizza in West Glen is excellent as well.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Jog an old guy's memory.

When I lived in Des Moines 40 years ago there was sort of a family-type pizza place on the south side.

Anybody?

TRZA

Mar 4, 2009
West Side of Des Moines
There used to be dozens of family owned Italian places on the East, North, but mostly south sides of downtown. Some of the current family owned places have stayed open for decades, others are parts of families who operated restaurants back then. For a long time there were more Italian restaurants in America than any other ethnic category, that distinction changed to Mexican food sometime in the past twenty years.

Noodles on SW 9th is run by a family who used to own an Italian cafe on Court Ave three decades ago. They claim a bunch of local celebrities and important people would eat there. Very typical story for these kind of places.

BODWP

May 13, 2011
A little off topic here, but does anyone know if Casey's makes breakfast pizza for dinner?

DreamyFred21

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2012
Grimes
A little off topic here, but does anyone know if Casey's makes breakfast pizza for dinner?

Former Casey's delivery man here (sweet college summer job) and yes the Casey's I worked at made breakfast pizza 24 hours per day. I can't speak to what the policy is on that for Casey's in smaller towns, but I believe the DSM area Casey's make them through all operating hours

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
because of this thread I had a George's sausage and mushroom along with some potato wedges last night. It was delicious.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Former Casey's delivery man here (sweet college summer job) and yes the Casey's I worked at made breakfast pizza 24 hours per day. I can't speak to what the policy is on that for Casey's in smaller towns, but I believe the DSM area Casey's make them through all operating hours
Casey's delivers!?

ISU42

Sep 21, 2009
Centerville Casey's delivers. Online ordering is coming soon and they now have flat bread pizza.

dukeebear

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 30, 2006
Ames
Angelos on 8th in Des Moines is great. They also have Cincinnati style chili and chili dogs which are awesome

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
And I'll end with a safety warning...
pizza I wouldn't eat even if a terrorist threatened my family? Great Plains. Over-rated and essentially cardboard crust with cheese and hair on it.

have to agree with this. Tried it our first semester in college.......never went back. Really wanted to like it but just weren't fans :(

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
I would eat Great Plains as part of my last meal. If cardboard tasted that good I could save a lot of money on food.

CyzzleB

Sep 12, 2009
Jog an old guy's memory.

When I lived in Des Moines 40 years ago there was sort of a family-type pizza place on the south side.

Anybody?

A few possibilities but I'm sure there are more, including those mentioned in other posts already...

La Pizza House on SE 14th (aka Russ & Abby's)
Bammies's on Army Post (not sure if it was open in early 70's)
Ricelli's on Indianola Rd (more than pizza)

Last edited: